Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2011, 07:38 AM

15 posts, read 33,902 times

Advertisements

Asheville, NC - inquiring on

Hi all,

My fiance is in the food service industry (10+ years of culinary experience-high level resorts to farm/organic restuarants) and I have a varied background in office/finance/and project management (3+ years). We're interested in relocating to Asheville in the next few months, but were curious to hear the local opinion on job availability and atmosphere. We are moving from the DC metro area and really want a more laid back life. We're into farmers markets and seek to make a side income in growing herbs, etc. In this situation, we're interested in renting a house, (probably something around $800ish) that will allow us to be close enough to work but far enough out that we've got a little land. Just renting for now,saving up money to buy in a few years when we figure out where that should be.

So, that's the backstory. What is the job situation like out there? Is it - everything must apply online with no hope of a call back? Are there any large or reputable companies that I probably haven't found in a quick google search? What's the local area like - small town - with work? Pay scale - at least $10/hour for standard 30 hour work week? We want something to pay the bills, and will work full time, but are alright with a lighter schedule as long as the money is right.

Any thoughts? is this crazy?

Thanks for your feedback!

Last edited by fmadsen26; 03-11-2011 at 07:41 AM.. Reason: need to update text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 08:05 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,552,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmadsen26 View Post
Asheville, NC - inquiring on

Hi all,

My fiance is in the food service industry (10+ years of culinary experience-high level resorts to farm/organic restuarants) and I have a varied background in office/finance/and project management (3+ years). We're interested in relocating to Asheville in the next few months, but were curious to hear the local opinion on job availability and atmosphere. We are moving from the DC metro area and really want a more laid back life. We're into farmers markets and seek to make a side income in growing herbs, etc. In this situation, we're interested in renting a house, (probably something around $800ish) that will allow us to be close enough to work but far enough out that we've got a little land. Just renting for now,saving up money to buy in a few years when we figure out where that should be.

So, that's the backstory. What is the job situation like out there? Is it - everything must apply online with no hope of a call back? Are there any large or reputable companies that I probably haven't found in a quick google search? What's the local area like - small town - with work? Pay scale - at least $10/hour for standard 30 hour work week? We want something to pay the bills, and will work full time, but are alright with a lighter schedule as long as the money is right.

Thanks for your feedback!
There have been several posts on this very subject in the WNC portion of this forum. Do a search simply for "Asheville" and that should keep you busy for most of today or tonight. $800 "ish" won't get you much in the way of a rental around the Asheville area with land etc.

Since you have never been here and done serious research, we will all tell you, repeat: Do NOT come to WNC without employment; and specifically do not even think about the area unless you have done your homework beforehand. Visit for at the very least for a full week in person, and contact local property management companies. Most Realtors will not handle rentals. Here is the Asheville newspaper website: www.citizen-times.com

Best of luck.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:53 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,834,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmadsen26 View Post
My fiance is in the food service industry (10+ years of culinary experience-high level resorts to farm/organic restuarants) and I have a varied background in office/finance/and project management (3+ years). We're interested in relocating to Asheville in the next few months, but were curious to hear the local opinion on job availability and atmosphere. ...

It is crazy to move somewhere in this economy without having a job already lined up, yes. Unless you have at least a year of living expenses. You might luck out, but not only are the number of jobs down, the number of applicants for those jobs is drastically up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina