Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 09:48 PM

7 posts, read 70,179 times

Advertisements

hi i have been reading alot on this site my family is considering moving to north carolina from florida. my husband and i have 3 children ages 11,13,15 and our daughter and her husband are moving also they have a 2 year old and a new baby just born yesterday. we are looking at the lenoir, granite falls area but i am really nervous more so since reading this site. i have seen alot about snakes we are living in florida and we have snakes here and trust me i watch for them i am just terrified of them. is it really that bad down there with snakes/ it just sounds like they are all over.how common are the copperheads and coral?is it so bad you have to watch where you stepwalking out your door? can kids play outside safely?trust me i am a nut when it comes to snakes. and also my family has visited nc for the last 5 years beech mountain boone banner elk and we loved it thats why we decided to move everyone was so friendly but i have been reading quite the opposite on this site about people not wanting outsiders moving there.i do not want to move to a place that will not welcome my children it is hard enough being a kid.i was really all for this move now i am having doubts please any thoughts and truthful advise information on the area would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 08:47 AM

765 posts, read 2,569,037 times
Here, read this .NC Snakes

Old 07-27-2007, 10:02 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishberly View Post
hi i have been reading alot on this site my family is considering moving to north carolina from florida. my husband and i have 3 children ages 11,13,15 and our daughter and her husband are moving also they have a 2 year old and a new baby just born yesterday. we are looking at the lenoir, granite falls area but i am really nervous more so since reading this site. i have seen alot about snakes we are living in florida and we have snakes here and trust me i watch for them i am just terrified of them. is it really that bad down there with snakes/ it just sounds like they are all over.how common are the copperheads and coral?is it so bad you have to watch where you stepwalking out your door? can kids play outside safely?trust me i am a nut when it comes to snakes. and also my family has visited nc for the last 5 years beech mountain boone banner elk and we loved it thats why we decided to move everyone was so friendly but i have been reading quite the opposite on this site about people not wanting outsiders moving there.i do not want to move to a place that will not welcome my children it is hard enough being a kid.i was really all for this move now i am having doubts please any thoughts and truthful advise information on the area would be appreciated.
Congrats on you new grandbaby

Let me put it this way, suppose someone from NC was asking your advice about moving to Florida. Would you tell them NOT to move because of the alligators?

Snakes live in all states, except Hawaii. They are really no worse here than anywhere else. I spend huge amounts of time hiking and camping in the mountains of NC and I have only seen a snake twice in 20 years - and from a distance.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:35 AM

43 posts, read 150,856 times
NC snakes attack Floridians daily, but they keep it out of the newspapers. Something about the suntans and the Prada flip-flops that they can't resist. Just kidding...the snakes should be the least of your concerns.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:52 PM

lol fitz but now you have me wondering what i should be concerned with thats worse then snakes. to me not much is worse

Old 07-27-2007, 06:58 PM

thank you. i feel a little better but yes i would tell them stay away from florida lol due to snakes roaches sharks gators and so on i am from ny never seen any of these things until i moved south. before anybody says move back north dont get me wrong i love the south just not all the critters lol

Old 07-29-2007, 06:28 AM

3 posts, read 21,167 times
there are snakes of all kinds everywhere - you have to know how to deal with them.

Old 08-03-2007, 05:28 AM

161 posts, read 515,572 times
UGH! I hate snakes too! AND......yes! They have them here! MANY Black snakes...I guess their not poisonous...but will bite you. My husband and I live in Western NC. (Transplants from FL/Ohio) We live in town...our street has a LOT of trees wood areas....so we have black snakes and god knows the other kinds that we don't see....The black snakes are out on the streets day and night...and yes, I do NOT go in my yard..that I was so looking forward to gardening...we've hired a gardner to mow and do our gardening for me. I know this may sound paranoid...but I was not raised around this many...you're virtually trading one snake state for another...GO NORTH!!!! It's colder up North but at least they don't have as many snakes!

Old 08-03-2007, 08:28 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,538,091 times
Amusing that this is the second time that a thread has started where someone is so concerned about snakes that it sounds like it could effect their decision to move here or not.

I guess if a true phobia is at play here, then you don't need to live anywhere except perhaps in a concrete jungle somewhere like NYC or downtown Chicago.

Old 08-04-2007, 02:33 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,034,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Amusing that this is the second time that a thread has started where someone is so concerned about snakes that it sounds like it could effect their decision to move here or not.
Hopefully not, then. Black snakes, corn snakes ... they all are beneficial to keeping the REAL pests down (rats and mice) and I treat them with the respect they deserve for providing us with this benefit.

If you see one in the yard, ignore it, it will most likely see you and slither off. I see them all the time and generally lean in to get a look then go in to tell my spouse "wow, you should see the big puppy out by Tall Pine! 6 feet, must be!"

Riding my motorcycle to work last week, I saw one fellow trying to cross the road. I was afraid the next car coming along would squish him (too many people purposely swerve to run them down) so I turned, got off my bike and, since I was wearing boots and leathers, nudged him off the road. He coiled to strike; we had a couple of feinting maneuvers; but all I wanted him to do was get off the road. He eventually did move back into the tall grass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina