Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 05:24 PM

3 posts, read 10,877 times

Advertisements

I recently retired and am thinking of moving to Asheville, NC from NH. I am curious about poisonous AND no poisonous bugs I might encounter near the city. I don't believe we have any poisonous snakes in NH but I believe there are several in NC. Are any found in homes/properties near the city or are they only found in the woods? (I'm terribly fearful of bugs and snakes). Is it true that there are large flying cockroaches or are they mostly in wooded areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 07:23 PM

161 posts, read 237,528 times
Nana I'm from NHLand just spent a week in Asheville and the surrounding towns. It was awesome. We spent hours in the woods hiking. No Mosquitoes! It was awesome.

Old 08-15-2015, 07:24 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,510,120 times
Asheville is in the south and in the mountains so yes to bugs and snakes. I have not seen the large flying roaches here but they do exist in other area of the south. This area has both Timber Rattlesnakes and Copperheads. I can't recall hearing of a rattlesnake in the city but Copperheads have been found on wooded lots near streams. Of course we have Black Snakes, Garter Snakes and a variety of other non poisonous snakes, which hurt no one. Bugs are all over just a fact of lfe most everywhere. We do have Black Widow and Brown recluse Spiders they are found both in town and rural areas.

Old 08-15-2015, 07:57 PM

643 posts, read 669,486 times
Don't forget the Allegheny Ants - I can deal with all the rest but these things are a PITA. Not fire ants but still aggressive and they make mounds and kill the plant life near them with formic acid. Isn't wildlife grand! Welcome to WNC!!!

Old 08-15-2015, 08:10 PM

I was glad to hear ticks in NC very rarely carry lime. My dog had it as a puppy. When I'm out hunting its not uncommon to pick up a few ticks. Snakes don't bother me but I'm sure my dog will be the one to find most of them. He's not the brightest.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:59 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,469,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamWalsh317 View Post
I was glad to hear ticks in NC very rarely carry lime. My dog had it as a puppy. When I'm out hunting its not uncommon to pick up a few ticks. Snakes don't bother me but I'm sure my dog will be the one to find most of them. He's not the brightest.
No but they do carry Rocky Mountain spotted fever and ehrlichiosis. My mom has caught rmsf multiple times now and one of my dogs ended up with ehrlichiosis. Talking to the doctors it seems rmsf is becoming very common.

As for snakes. Plenty of copperheads. When living over the border in SC my dog was bitten by one in our front yard. In most cases they just give Benadryl and no vets carry antivemium in the area according to our vet which I found shocking.

I've grown up in the area and can only recall seeing 1 rattlesnake. That was last week while hiking in a rocky area and I barely missed stepping on it. Gave me a heart attack. Not an everyday thing though.

Old 08-16-2015, 04:52 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,378,220 times
Rattlesnakes live in New Hampshire. Get the heck out of there!

Old 08-16-2015, 06:00 AM

They must hide pretty well. I've never seen one. I've heard there is some type of rattler here. I run into more Black Bears than snakes.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:16 AM

411 posts, read 614,162 times
Of our 3 poisonous snakes, you're most likely to encounter a copperhead around your home. Eliminating food sources for rodents (like open compost bins) helps, as does not having water features and rocks.

You're going to run into black widows. They like to live under porches and other dark, hidden places.

I hope you're ok with stink bugs and daddy-long-legs (both harmless), because you're going to be getting up-close-and-personal with tons of them.

The huge roaches are mainly farther south.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:38 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,510,120 times
Forgot about the ticks, hate them, RMSF is dangerous important to learn the symptoms. Getting more deer back in the area so assume Lyme will follow. If you have dog be sure they take heartworm pills it has become a problem here. We do have mosquitoes if near damp areas but not like some places, thank heavens. Wildlife abounds but most is good and all are interconnected even the ones I don't like much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina