Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 10:09 PM

11 posts, read 40,109 times

Advertisements

I live in West Asheville and overheard about this place for someone, but it appears to be very hush hush and not a lot of information about it on the net, other then this:
Quote:
I ran into the man mentioned above as well. However, this is all a lie. This trail IS public and the locals who live up there don't like everyone coming there and 'ruining' their play spot that they use for hunting and quad riding. This trail is listed by the city as open, so his threats are just bull. The hikers are not the ones dumping garbage. It's lazy people that live close and don't have trash pick up so they would rather dump it at a dead end than to pay to take it to the transfer station. As long as you have all four tires off the road and the gate is not blocked you are not trespassing. Just to make a point of it I take the trail to the right that goes to the radio towers that does not go past his property. Last year I spoke with 2 officers about it who were waiting for me at the trailhead. After respectfully answering a few questions for them I simply asked them point blank if I was breaking any laws and they said 'no, but the man who lives down there doesn't like the traffic' and they also advised me to carry a weapon when walking alone because 'people have gone missing'. This is not a lie. I'm not really sure what the police were doing there in the first place or why they hassled me but I had done nothing wrong. This further proves my point. I'm sorry dogs scare away the turkeys but there are plenty of other places to hunt. You don't have to lie to people just to get your way. If you see the police just be respectful and ask questions. They can't fine you because you are not doing anything wrong. This really should be addressed with the city before the locals get really crazy and start vandalizing vehicles to make a point. I'm calling their bluff on scare tactics. It's the nicest trail that close to town and there is no reason they should try to keep people from it.
Spivey Mountain Summit - North Carolina Mountain Peak Information

As much as I want to check out this place this is a serious concern since I'm a female, hiking alone even with a protective dog, its a bit unsettling.
Can someone give me more insight into this and actual directions to the place (I might check it out later when I find a hiking buddy)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 04:14 AM

1 posts, read 4,374 times
If you're found on our private property you will be arrested. We are "locals" and we don't dump our trash in the woods! Wild parties and truck loads of drunks staying overnight has got us to this point There are many wonderful trails in Asheville, only those involved in illegal activities choose to go on other's property. FYI. As a sharp shooter in the U.S. ARMY I won many awards. If I have to engage my weapon I do not miss my target. You better think twice before you show up on my property with a gun. The results may not be what you thought they would be.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-24-2015 at 07:25 PM.. Reason: tos violation

Old 06-24-2015, 05:41 AM

643 posts, read 670,086 times
I'll get the popcorn ready. This looks like it'll be interesting.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:18 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiveyMtn View Post
If you're found on our private property you will be arrested.
I don't think anyone is advocating that people trespass onto private property. Besides, you're responding to a post that is over 4 years old and never had any other replies.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:39 AM

39 posts, read 64,507 times
If anyone does have good info on this I'd like to hear it.

If the parking and trail access are all on public property I'll go up there and document the experience so everyone will know what it's like.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:50 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,042 times
This is what I found online. It may be what the OP and the recent poster are referring to: Appalachian Treks: Spivey Falls & Big Creek Falls

It does appear to be private property. People, please respect private property rights.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:27 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
Spivey Falls is in NE TN. You'll see a cabin for rent on CL if you want to enjoy the private falls. I suspect this is different from Spivey Mountain as it is pretty far from Asheville.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:49 AM

2 posts, read 8,343 times
Does anybody know what the final verdict is on this? I'm contemplating hiking up there as it looks like it has an awesome view of Asheville at the end of the trail. If nobody knows then does somebody at least know who I can call and ask what is private and what is not?

Old 07-08-2015, 10:59 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
Why Spivey? unless you've done everything else.

Here are the best of the best hikes in the area.

75 Hikes near Asheville | NC Mountain Hiking Trails

Old 07-08-2015, 01:14 PM

2 posts, read 8,343 times
Thank you for that list. I’m an avid hiker and have been most of my life. I’ve hiked a good chunk of what is on that list over the years. I’ve not done Spivey before and I’ve been looking for a good close-up bird eyes view of downtown Asheville on public land as most of it is private in the immediate area. I’m not out to disrupt anything there and always practice no trace hiking. If it’s private land then I’ll respect that and move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Why Spivey? unless you've done everything else.

Here are the best of the best hikes in the area.

75 Hikes near Asheville | NC Mountain Hiking Trails
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina