Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2011, 09:23 AM

6 posts, read 9,877 times

Advertisements

Hey All..
I'm about to graduate from college and Asheville is one of my prospect cities... I'm going to be a nurse, so I should be able to find a job there ... I was wondering where are some places to live in/around Asheville, where the young professionals live , etc ...

Thanks

Gabby
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 09:46 AM

729 posts, read 1,506,124 times
Young professionals live just about anywhere in Asheville. You need to come here for a visit and scope out the areas, talk to people and get to know Asheville. It's the only way you will find the right place for you

Old 04-03-2011, 06:59 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,345,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrielleC1 View Post
... I'm going to be a nurse, so I should be able to find a job there ...
Really? Have you tried to find a position yet? Alot of newly licensed grads from last year are still looking....

Old 04-03-2011, 10:16 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,848,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrielleC1
I was wondering where are some places to live in/around Asheville, where the young professionals live , etc ...
Young professionals, eh? Well, neighborhoods here aren't really separated that way, except for the expensive neighborhoods in Town Mountain, Kimberly Road, and a couple others. Really, everyone lives amongst one another, and it works well. North Asheville is a good place to look, especially the neighborhoods surrounding Hillside Street as it runs from Broadway Street to Charlotte Street. Most of the neighborhoods within that "Hillside grid" as I call it are very nice. Just make sure you tour houses before renting, because you could end up in a very nice-looking house that is actually a dump if you rent sight-unseen. Beaverdam Road is also a road surrounded by very nice neighborhoods. It's all about price range, as you will end up with a variety of neighbors regardless of where you live. It isn't really separated by social status.

Also, I wouldn't do the whole "young professional" look if I were you, personally, with the whole suit and tie thing all the time and dressing up real nice to go out. People just don't do that here, this is a super-laid-back town. Often, you could get stereotyped as being phony if you dress up really fancy to go out. Not saying just wear a T-shirt and jeans, just saying some folks around here are very adamant in their dislike of so-called "yuppies", so be aware of that. Seems like sometimes it's almost a competition of who can be the most outrageous, abnormal person in the room.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:06 PM

6 posts, read 9,877 times
thanks for all the help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina