Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2011, 10:47 AM

2,410 posts, read 5,822,678 times

Advertisements

I'm researching possible retirement locations, and as an artist, Asheville has some appeal. There appear to be affordable options in the surrounding areas beyond Asheville. However, I am concerned about the safety of living alone as a female in her early 60's in less populated areas. I realize that burglaries and home invasions can occur anywhere, but how safe is the Asheville area? I have looked at crime stats, but they are only stats and not the same as experiences of people living in an area. I also read on Craigslist that the east Flat Rock area was full of druggies and not a good area. Is this accurate? Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 04:36 PM

729 posts, read 1,506,124 times
Moved here 20 years ago and the worst problem we ever had was someone stealing the Christmas wreath off my front door. We lived very close to downtown on a street with a lot of foot traffic. Other than that, we have had few problems. I've always felt safe here.

Old 04-16-2011, 04:56 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
I'm researching possible retirement locations, and as an artist, Asheville has some appeal. There appear to be affordable options in the surrounding areas beyond Asheville. However, I am concerned about the safety of living alone as a female in her early 60's in less populated areas. I realize that burglaries and home invasions can occur anywhere, but how safe is the Asheville area? I have looked at crime stats, but they are only stats and not the same as experiences of people living in an area. I also read on Craigslist that the east Flat Rock area was full of druggies and not a good area. Is this accurate? Thanks for any info.

No.. E.Flat Rock is NOT full of druggies. Why would anyone rely on information from Craig's List; seems irresponsible if you've never been to a particular area. It is not a high end area, that is a given; and on the other hand, E.Flat Rock is a very small area and has some poor areas, but some nice areas as well. Flat Rock itself is a very high end area; both of which are just outside of Hendersonville; and the total of Henderson County itself is just lovely.

You need to take a trip to the area and investigate for yourself. It will also depend on your frame of reference; i.e., where you are moving fromand what type of areas you want to live in or want to avoid.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:16 PM

8 posts, read 18,134 times
I would volunteer that the most tangible danger of living alone in the rural areas around Asheville is black bears. Although they can be easily frightened away they are very much a part of the wilderness landscape here. All of my friends (who live in all over town) have had at least one if not multiple sightings in their yards.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:24 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upgrademylife View Post
I would volunteer that the most tangible danger of living alone in the rural areas around Asheville is black bears. Although they can be easily frightened away they are very much a part of the wilderness landscape here. All of my friends (who live in all over town) have had at least one if not multiple sightings in their yards.

They probably have all sorts of bird feeders in their yards ... which is a big no no. They've been displaced from their habitat with all the development going on the past years in the mountains, and this IS their territory. So if you live in the country or on a mountainside, you need to keep bird feeders where they cannot reach them, that includes not hanging from decks. They can climb the posts and get up on your deck. Ask me how I know. Also ! make sure you have bear proof trash cans. They rustle around at twilight to early evening and you will hear them if they are around.

.... we love our bears, just respect them.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:22 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,412,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
However, I am concerned about the safety of living alone as a female in her early 60's in less populated areas.
I live in the mountains in Hiawassee, GA. I can give one piece of advice based on a burglary crime spree that happened here.

Our crime rate is super low, but a couple of years ago there were two guys doing handyman work that broke into a bunch of houses and stole everything of value they could find.

The one thing all the houses had in common was that they were surrounded by so many trees that once the burglars parked, no one could see them from the road, nor could any neighbors see them.

It bought them a lot of time and privacy.

I'd say you should go for a house with visibility and good neighbors.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:37 AM

83 posts, read 93,568 times
i think rural areas are way safer than any city or town. more people equals more crime. Be sure to get recommendations for anyone working on or in your house. Post an NRA sticker on the front door, you'll be fine. Depending where you move your gold ol boy neighbor should become your best friend. Knowing a neighbor or two helps alot in rural areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina