Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 08:04 PM

2,149 posts, read 1,517,299 times

Advertisements

NE TN/WNC should be watching the weather Weds. looks like a good bet for some nasty storms possible tornadoes.

TWC's Exclusive TOR:CON index - weather.com (http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/torcon-daily-forecast_2011-03-24 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 10:16 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,007,669 times
Historically, tornadoes are a rarity in NC's mountain region, but you never know when that may change.

Click on county name for current severe weather related watches, warnings or advisories issued by the National Weather Service.

NOAA's National Weather Service - North Carolina Watch/Warning RSS Feeds by County Forecast

Last edited by mm34b; 04-26-2011 at 10:25 AM..

Old 04-26-2011, 10:26 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman57 View Post
NE TN/WNC should be watching the weather Weds. looks like a good bet for some nasty storms possible tornadoes.

TWC's Exclusive TOR:CON index - weather.com (http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/torcon-daily-forecast_2011-03-24 - broken link)

Flash flood warnings for western NC, very common here in heavy rains and thunderstorms. No tornado warnings, mostly any tornado activity or conditions will break up as they go east over the mountain range. There may have been a small one in Shelby NC a while ago, but that is not in the mountains, it is pretty much at seal level, southeasterly in flatlands on the way to Charlotte NC and southeast SC.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:41 AM

963 posts, read 2,411,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Historically, tornadoes are a rarity in NC's mountain region, but you never know when that may change.

Click on county name for current severe weather related watches, warnings or advisories issued by the National Weather Service.

NOAA's National Weather Service - North Carolina Watch/Warning RSS Feeds by County Forecast
Yep - very rare. There's been a minor trend this year of big or destructive storms hitting relatively unexpected places, so if I still lived in the mountains I'd be paying at least a little attention to this one.

Might be a big flood threat as well. That might be the greater thing to brace for.

Historically, for the sake of trivia, 2 of the more notorious tornado events in Western NC:

1884 March 25: A thunderstorm spawned weak tornadoes near Murphy, and later a storms that destroyed several houses north of Franklin. A second storm spawned a tornado that killed at least 2 people in Lenoir. Thunderstorm # 3 that day produced a tornado between Morganton and Hickory that tracked straight through Newton, where several blocks were heavily damaged, and then passed immediately south of Statesville, which wasn't hit, though the storm was highly visible from downtown.

1974 April 3, 4: Several waves of tornadic storms moved into W NC from north Georgia and SE Tennessee. The first produced a weak tornado near Murphy, a large tornado that cut through Stecoah in Graham County, where several houses were destroyed, and dissipated N of Bryson City in the national park. This storm shorty thereafter produced very large hail over Waynesville. The second storm produced an F4 tornado that tracked through the southern and eastern part of Murphy; there were 4 different tornadoes, spawned by 3 different thunderstorms in Cherokee County over about 14 hours that afternoon, evening, night, and morning. A thunderstorm down in the foothills produced a weak tornado over downtown Morganton, and another destructive storm near Granite Falls. Yet another thunderstorm never became tornadic, but did more than a million bucks in hail damage in the Greenville-Spartanburg area, before dropping baseball sized hail in Gastonia.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:39 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,848,570 times
Well, I seriously hope that we finally get some nice big storms for once. That is one of the most frustrating things about this area: big formations of rain/snow depending on the season will hit the mountains to the west and break up, and they go around Asheville. They will hit as close as Hendersonville to the south and Weaverville to the north, but Asheville misses them. I'll see a forecast in the winter for a nice 4-6" of snow, and then, what do you know, I'm disappointed again as the storm literally goes around Asheville and reforms to the east once it gets past Black Mountain, or sometimes not even that far. So frustrating.

I hope that we get a nice, big, house-rattling thunderstorm tomorrow. I do NOT hope that I lose power, but at my house, that's pretty much guaranteed if the wind is blowing more than 20 mph because all the power lines in my neighborhood are LITERALLY wrapped in and around the trees! So if a tree is swaying hard, the power flickers, and if a limb breaks or something, boom, power's gone. Progress Energy has been pretty good this year about restoring outages in a timely manner, but it's still frustrating that they installed the power lines that way. Or maybe the trees grew up around them, but they should go in and fix the problem, I think.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:37 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,226,263 times
I hope we don't get any 'damaging' storms. If I want to watch damaging storms I'll turn on the weather Channel!

Old 04-26-2011, 08:10 PM

4,791 posts, read 10,615,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
I hope we don't get any 'damaging' storms. If I want to watch damaging storms I'll turn on the weather Channel!
I agree...from a personal pt of view, 'weather' up here on the E/SE facing ridge of Eagles Nest Mtn, at 5,000 ft elevation, is pretty dramatic on 'normal' days. We are also well ahead of 'norm' for precip thus far this year.
GL, mD

Old 04-26-2011, 11:13 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,848,570 times
^ Yeah, see that's why if I were to stay in WNC for the rest of my days, it would have to be at a very high altitude like that. I get a lot of enjoyment and amusement out of weather, and weather at altitudes like that is no joke. I was up at 5600 feet the other day and this incredible storm blew in, and you could see the clouds at eye level with you, cascading over the mountain right in front you. It was so cool, and then it starting just DUMPING rain, super impressive storm. Stuff like that just makes my day; it was quite a storm to behold.

And the snowstorms are much better and much more frequent in the winter months, too!

Old 04-27-2011, 06:40 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
^ Yeah, see that's why if I were to stay in WNC for the rest of my days, it would have to be at a very high altitude like that. I get a lot of enjoyment and amusement out of weather, and weather at altitudes like that is no joke. I was up at 5600 feet the other day and this incredible storm blew in, and you could see the clouds at eye level with you, cascading over the mountain right in front you. It was so cool, and then it starting just DUMPING rain, super impressive storm. Stuff like that just makes my day; it was quite a storm to behold.

And the snowstorms are much better and much more frequent in the winter months, too!

I am surprised that you did not choose a career as a weatherman...that would be so interesting! you have a real knack for it.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:09 AM

1,912 posts, read 3,226,263 times
I am used to hurricanes in Fl but I have to agree that the weather here is very dramatic even at 3500 feet elevation!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina