Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 07:28 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,844,856 times

Advertisements

Hiked up to Fryingpan Mountain today, climbed up the firetower. I tell ya, that's a really great hike there. It's basically the same view as you get from Pisgah but not as strenuous a hike, and honestly I think the view is even better. Not that Pisgah is a very strenuous hike, but Fryingpan is even easier, and the payoff is tremendous. I highly recommend that one. Not like I'm giving away my secrets here either since it's on all the WNC hiking websites. Check it out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 04:39 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Hiked up to Fryingpan Mountain today, climbed up the firetower. I tell ya, that's a really great hike there. It's basically the same view as you get from Pisgah but not as strenuous a hike, and honestly I think the view is even better. Not that Pisgah is a very strenuous hike, but Fryingpan is even easier, and the payoff is tremendous. I highly recommend that one. Not like I'm giving away my secrets here either since it's on all the WNC hiking websites. Check it out!
Love that hike.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:20 PM

So, I have seen over 20 Ontario plates and at least 5 Québec plates in the past five days. What are all these Canadians doing in Asheville?

I sure hope we get that thunderstorm we're supposed to get today. ::knocks on wood:: Anytime it's doing something besides clear skies, sunny, 85˚F is good with me. I get so tired of the same old bright, hot days over and over again all the time. I like Asheville's cloudiness, and I'm missing it this time of year.

Also, I love living in Oakley. The tourists are in town in full force, but living over here I never have to deal with them.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:18 PM

Hahah, the main reason why I was born, raised, and (tried) to stay in fairview as long as possible. Once you get off 74A there aren't many tourists and some of the roads have such pretty drives its as good as being on the parkway! But if you need anything it only took me 10 minutes max to get to the necessities.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:42 AM

7 posts, read 16,329 times
Oh yeah, I went to AC Reynolds and I have to agree with your comments about Fairview, although, it has really grown since the 80s.

Montie

Old 07-12-2011, 02:34 PM

Hehe, seeing that comment I made about Oakley is funny to me now. I never realized how much I disliked living there until I got out here on this mountain.

Has anyone noticed they took down the little signs up on Mount Mitchell that would show you which mountains you were looking at? I was up there with my mother last week, and I wanted to show her those signs so she could see all the different mountains, but they weren't there. Of course, it was a Mount Mitchell Weather day that day, so for half the time, we were standing in a cloud (literally) and then the other half the clouds would move around and give great photo ops. Oh, I need to post those...

Old 07-12-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Hehe, seeing that comment I made about Oakley is funny to me now. I never realized how much I disliked living there until I got out here on this mountain.

Has anyone noticed they took down the little signs up on Mount Mitchell that would show you which mountains you were looking at? I was up there with my mother last week, and I wanted to show her those signs so she could see all the different mountains, but they weren't there. Of course, it was a Mount Mitchell Weather day that day, so for half the time, we were standing in a cloud (literally) and then the other half the clouds would move around and give great photo ops. Oh, I need to post those...

Hrrrm.. You know, I haven't been to the summit since they removed the old tower and replaced it with the dumb platform. I've gone to the restaurant and hiked all around the area, but not actually to the top. Maybe they were taken down to be refurbished?

Old 07-12-2011, 09:19 PM

That's a possibility. I can't believe you haven't been there in that long. I actually like the platform myself; you get a nice 360˚ view. I would rather there be nothing up there, of course, but hey, it's a State Park. Elisha Mitchell's grave is cool too. The weather up there is a large part of why I go. It's wicked in the winter time. They actually keep the road up plowed so you can go in winter, you just have to access the Parkway from the east by Burnsville to get there. Totally worth it for the snowshoeing alone, though!

And my god, the bugs are going NUTS tonight! The cicadas are super loud, and the lightning bugs are just spectacular. The whole valley and the mountainside are covered in them, flashing like strobe lights. It's like a light show at a concert, but made by nature. I don't know how or why I ever lived in a city...

Old 07-25-2011, 03:33 PM

So this is kinda becoming my "talking to myself thread", but whatever, I started the thing and I'm trying to keep it alive. I guess we just aren't a very chatty bunch here maybe.

A FULL DAY OF RAIN! Oh thank the cosmos! Or, well, I don't know if it's been raining like this in Asheville or down in the Hendersonville area, but man it's been storming steady up here all day. I've just been posted up on my porch, watching it rain. It's so peaceful. We've really needed this rain, IMO, and it has really cooled things down. My thermometer on my porch says it's 71˚F, which is great. I hate the heat so much. And now that I have a house with a west-facing view of mountains, I can see the storms as they approach, which makes it that much cooler. Man, I just cannot wait until Fall! Something tells me it's gonna be a good one this year, and hopefully a nice, snowy winter too. I know it snows more up here in northeast Buncombe/southwest Yancey than it does down in Asheville, so hopefully that will play in my favor this year. ::knocks on wood::

Old 07-25-2011, 03:54 PM

172 posts, read 477,232 times
been a full day of rain here in Waynesville as well...maybe had 1.5 or 2h without rain since i got up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina