Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 07:40 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,610,403 times

Advertisements

Mt Airy, NC is very close to the NC Triad. I was actually offered a job in Danbury, NC over 5 years ago. I LOVE that part of NC - very scenic, with rolling hills, and fantastic fall colors. My wife is from Greensboro. I would consider this area in economic transition - textiles and tobacco used to dominate - of course, no more.

Greenville, NC is very close to the NC coast - unfortunately, I know little of this area - I think I've visited once - it has East Carolina University and has a medical school there - their geography is completely different than the Piedmont, Upstate, and Western NC.

Greenville, SC sits one hour south of Asheville in far Upstate SC. It's very close to the mountains. The Upstate has more than 1 million residents and has several international companies with North American headquarters: BMW and Michelin. Thus, there are LOTS of German and French folks. (My daughter has a french girl on her soccer team.) Interesting notes about this area: Greenville/Upstate SC has more engineers per capita and has more foreign investment per capita than anywhere in the country. I would characterize this area as "exciting" and "up and coming". I'd much rather live here than Atlanta, Charlotte, or even Asheville. Of course downtown Greenville (with Falls Park) is the pinnacle of renaissance in the Upstate.

Asheville, NC - what a great area, scenic, near perfect weather (although too cold in the winter for me), mountainous. On the other hand, the economy is quite restricted: nearly all based on tourism, healthcare, service, and gov't. I've heard that BMW first approached Asheville - after Asheville declined any incentives, BMW approached Upstate leaders and the rest is history. BMW has transformed the Upstate.

Last edited by drfranklin; 05-13-2011 at 08:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 08:57 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikim36 View Post
Ha, yes and Loves Mts. has been very helpful!

So, is Greenville a good place to find cabin rentals?

Is there a Greenville SC AND NC?
As DrFranklins post said, yes, there are two Greenvilles. (In fact, every state in the south has a "Greenville", LOL)

I don't think you'd find cabins in Greenville itself, but between Asheville and Greenville you would find vacation rentals at least (just not necessarily cabins). I know of some neat ones in Mt. Airy is you decide to go that direction. I think you may want to consider starting some job searches in both Greenville and Winston Salem and see what options you come up with to help you decide which area to concentrate on

Old 05-18-2011, 06:07 AM

52 posts, read 113,543 times
All of this information is truly helpful.

One of the first places we were considering was Greenville, SC.

We want to make sure there are some mountains in view first. LOL.

I am not so sure we'd want to live right in the city, maybe somewhere just outside of it but where we are from 75,000 is much like our larger cities and that is just too much. Our traffic is terrible here and we'd love to move somewhere with a little less of that.

On the other hand, if there are a lot of engineers and such does that mean the area is a little more high end?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina