Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 07:15 PM

5 posts, read 6,923 times

Advertisements

I will have a chance to visit my best friend in Charlotte, NC in two weeks. Since we will have limited time only 2 days and I really want to go for blue ridge parkway, we will need to choose some parts of the PW to be able to enjoy the best of it.
At first, I plan to go for the doughton park starting from there since the park seems to be really nice and the scenery around that area seems to be awesome. However, I found that the PW is partially closed from the stone mountain overlook to Basin cove overlook as well as the doughton park campground and Brinegar cabin.
So now I'm not sure whether the detour route is worth to drive (along the sparta to Laurel Springs) or I should start from somewhere below that part such as Boone or Blowing Rock.
I know that the time is too short but I don't have many chance to travel a lot in other states (I'm from Florida and really love mountains) so I really want to make it at least to see the best of the parkway.

So please if anyone could help me, I really appreciate your kindness
Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 08:43 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little BJ View Post
I will have a chance to visit my best friend in Charlotte, NC in two weeks. Since we will have limited time only 2 days and I really want to go for blue ridge parkway, we will need to choose some parts of the PW to be able to enjoy the best of it.
At first, I plan to go for the doughton park starting from there since the park seems to be really nice and the scenery around that area seems to be awesome. However, I found that the PW is partially closed from the stone mountain overlook to Basin cove overlook as well as the doughton park campground and Brinegar cabin.
So now I'm not sure whether the detour route is worth to drive (along the sparta to Laurel Springs) or I should start from somewhere below that part such as Boone or Blowing Rock.
I know that the time is too short but I don't have many chance to travel a lot in other states (I'm from Florida and really love mountains) so I really want to make it at least to see the best of the parkway.

So please if anyone could help me, I really appreciate your kindness
Thanks!!

Sadly Doughton Park is closed for the whole 2011 season, though the Parkway thru it should open by mid summer. The detour would take you around it and you would miss the best views I'm afraid.

I would suggest instead that you consider the section near Mt. Mitchell

This can be done in a day if you start early. My favorite route up to Mt. Mitchell is as follows:

I85 south out of Charlotte
Take exit 17 onto hwy 321 N
Exit onto I40 west (toward Asheville)
Exit I40 at exit 86 (toward Marion) onto hwy 226/221
When they split follow hwy 221
At the intersection of hwy 221 and hwy 70 take a left onto hwy 70 (west)
Shortly you will take a right onto hwy 80 - now the fun begins!

Hwy 80 is a fantastic ride up to the Blue Ridge Parkway. It has hairpin turns and beautiful scenary. Stop along the way at the little white church on the left to get out and see the rushing trout stream running by - great photo op

Once you reach the Parkway take a left (south). The entrance for Mt. Mitchell will be only minutes away. Be sure to check out the new observation tower: Mt. Mitchell North Carolina Visitor Guide

Once you have finished your visit head back to the park entrance and go north on the Parkway (take a left). Enjoy the ride all the way to Little Switzerland. After a stop there you take hwy 226 south back down to Marion and I40 for your return trip to Charlotte.

Little Switzerland NC - Little Switzerland North Carolina

If you follow this route you will see just the kind of scenary you are looking for.

Have a great trip!!

Old 05-12-2011, 09:02 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,471,745 times
I saw the Mt. Mitchell are is being worked on too. FYI. Check before you go.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
I saw the Mt. Mitchell are is being worked on too. FYI. Check before you go.

It was, but it's been completed I believe.

Our OP could call the Park Service to confirm though.

Blue Ridge Parkway (U.S. National Park Service)

Old 05-13-2011, 02:01 PM

Thank you so much! lovesMountains and saucystargazer
Your information are very helpful. I would definitely follow the routes you suggested.

If you don't mind I have few more questions.
If possible and the time allows, I would like to do some hiking, maybe just one. Do you have any trail recommended for us, I don't mind the strenuous one since we all love hiking a lot but I would love to do the one that has breathtaking scenery and great for photographing (could be a big wild field or at high elevation).
Another thing is the accommodation since I will arrive at Charlotte at 6pm Friday night and we want to save time for the trip so we plan to start driving from there that night and find some place around BRPW to sleep then start the road trip very early on Saturday morning. After searching I found some nice places around Blowing rock but still not sure about where to stay. Someone told me to try some in Glendale Spring but I couldn't find much there. So it would be great If you can suggest us some nice places to sleep. We don't want to luxurious place, just a cheap, nice and safe place to sleep with the internet in the room so that I can search for more travel info in the night.
The last thing is just the food. I don't know any particular great food in NC but I and my best friend do love family restaurant a lot. So if possible we want to try some good family restaurants there.

I hope it's not too much to ask.
Thank you again in advance!

Old 05-13-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Your information are very helpful. I would definitely follow the routes you suggested.

If possible and the time allows, I would like to do some hiking, maybe just one. Do you have any trail recommended for us, I don't mind the strenuous one since we all love hiking a lot but I would love to do the one that has breathtaking scenery and great for photographing (could be a big wild field or at high elevation).
Another thing is the accommodation since I will arrive at Charlotte at 6pm Friday night and we want to save time for the trip so we plan to start driving from there that night and find some place around BRPW to sleep then start the road trip very early on Saturday morning. After searching I found some nice places around Blowing rock but still not sure about where to stay. Someone told me to try some in Glendale Spring but I couldn't find much there. So it would be great If you can suggest us some nice places to sleep. We don't want to luxurious place, just a cheap, nice and safe place to sleep with the internet in the room so that I can search for more travel info in the night.
The last thing is just the food. I don't know any particular great food in NC but I and my best friend do love family restaurant a lot. So if possible we want to try some good family restaurants there.

I will work on that for you and post again shortly

Old 05-13-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:

Here is what I would do...follow my directions out of Charlotte Friday evening and go as far as Marion (this is where you get off I40 at exit 86).

This is a very doable drive from Charlotte of a little less than 2 hours so you would still be able to arrive before complete darkness.

Plan to spend the night at the nice little Comfort Inn on hwy 221 near hwy 70 and you can pick up with my directions again in the morning.

Now, this is only if you wish to go to Mt. Mitchell as I suggested, NOT if you want to go to Blowing Rock.

Do you have your mind made up about which area of the Parkway you would prefer to visit? Because if it is Blowing Rock I'll need to give you another set of directions and advice on where to stay and hikes to do. Just let me know.

Marion, North Carolina hotel near Blue Ridge Parkway - Comfort Inn 28752, NC844

Old 05-13-2011, 04:12 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,471,745 times
On that route: Crabtree falls is about a 4 mile round trip hike to a pretty waterfall. It's slippery though and if its over 80 degrees, its super hot and muggy. IF I'm remembering correctly, its a short hop south on the parkway from where you will get on (signs will point you). Double check though once you have established your route. Another place is Linville falls. Its very popular but very pretty and there are tons of hikes in that area that fit any type of walker (1mi to several).

Now if you do the other loop, 221 then south on the parkway to asheville, then 40 back, check out craggy gardens. There are two different areas to hike, one is at the craggy gardens picnic area (you can also access this trail from behind the visitor center, left side of the building) and the other is just north of the visitor center. Both have fantastic views.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
On that route: Crabtree falls is about a 4 mile round trip hike to a pretty waterfall. It's slippery though and if its over 80 degrees, its super hot and muggy. IF I'm remembering correctly, its a short hop south on the parkway from where you will get on (signs will point you). Double check though once you have established your route. Another place is Linville falls. Its very popular but very pretty and there are tons of hikes in that area that fit any type of walker (1mi to several).

Now if you do the other loop, 221 then south on the parkway to asheville, then 40 back, check out craggy gardens. There are two different areas to hike, one is at the craggy gardens picnic area (you can also access this trail from behind the visitor center, left side of the building) and the other is just north of the visitor center. Both have fantastic views.

Craggy Gardens for their hike is what I was going to recommend too, if they go to Mt. Mitchell.

If however they decide to do Blowing Rock then Linville Falls is one option for sure. But for long range sweeping views I was actually going to suggest the backside trails at Grandfather Mountain (which you do need a permit to access).

Old 05-14-2011, 08:08 PM

Thanks both of you again. Telling you the truth, I mentioned Blowing Rock just because I thought that if I drive up to the north and stay the night there, I can start the road trip from north and drive down to the south early on Saturday to enjoy the view along the PW. However, I just have no idea whether I should drive along the PW from north to south or I should pick only some route to enjoy some parts of the PW and spend more time at only part or it.

So, for now I don't know exactly where to go but the point is to enjoy the fantastic scenery of the PW (lots of photography) and, if possible, some hiking.
The craggy garden sounds good. I'm not sure whether I could have sometime to stop at some place along the PW such as Asheville, chimney rock,..

Anyway I do really appreciate all your suggestions and information you gave me here
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina