Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2011, 09:56 AM

841 posts, read 2,476,442 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever been camping at this campground? I went there twice last summer and LOVED it. Unfortunately, both times we went was only for 1 night (not much time for anything). This summer I am planning on going for 2 nights (WooHoo!) and would like to find things to do up there. We've done the nearby waterfalls like the Sliding Rock and Looking Glass Falls and they were beautiful.

I will be camping with my husband and 4 teenage girls - and I am trying to find things to do together that we can all enjoy. I was thinking of going to Grandfather Mountain - but I mapquested it and that's over 2 hours away from the campsite. I would like [affordable] ideas on nearby things to do - close to the campsite...no more than a 20-30 minute drive.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 11:36 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times
mod note
thread relocated from Charlotte forum

Old 05-13-2011, 11:41 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times
I recommend Dupont State Forest, Triple Falls and High Falls (used in movie Last of Mohicans) and Table Rock State Park & Bridal Falls

This is one of my favorite campgrounds I like how the sites are spread out like a subdivision and enough woods between your and neighboring sites and lots of bathrooms with showers so that it a very short walk.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-13-2011 at 11:55 AM..

Old 05-13-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I recommend Dupont State Forest, Triple Falls and High Falls (used in movie Last of Mohicans) and Table Rock State Park & Bridal Falls

This is one of my favorite campgrounds I like how the sites are spread out like a subdivision and enough woods between your and neighboring sites and lots of bathrooms with showers so that it a very short walk.
Thanks Sunny! It's really beautiful up there..I love it! I agree, the sites are spread out really good..you're not on top of each other.

I will definitely check out the places you suggested. We're also going to try to check out as many waterfalls as possible in the area. This will be my nieces' first time seeing a waterfall in person!..I don't think they've ever left NYC!

Old 05-13-2011, 02:48 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samana View Post
Has anyone ever been camping at this campground? I went there twice last summer and LOVED it. Unfortunately, both times we went was only for 1 night (not much time for anything). This summer I am planning on going for 2 nights (WooHoo!) and would like to find things to do up there. We've done the nearby waterfalls like the Sliding Rock and Looking Glass Falls and they were beautiful.

I will be camping with my husband and 4 teenage girls - and I am trying to find things to do together that we can all enjoy. I was thinking of going to Grandfather Mountain - but I mapquested it and that's over 2 hours away from the campsite. I would like [affordable] ideas on nearby things to do - close to the campsite...no more than a 20-30 minute drive.

Thanks!

I really like the Davidson River Campground too.

Please be sure to head up to the Blue Ridge Parkway from the campground (on hwy 276). You'll come out on it near MM 412 I believe. Travel south to just before MM 419 to hike at Graveyard Fields if you want to enjoy some nice hiking with waterfalls. This is not a strenuous or long hike and the teens with you should enjoy it.

Graveyard Fields - Blue Ridge Parkway Attractions and Activities

In addition, The Cradle of Forest Discovery Center is near the campground - you may want to check that out:

http://www.cradleofforestry.com/cradle_of_forestry/hours_location.asp (broken link)

Other than that the suggestion of Dupont Forest is also a good one. Have fun!

Old 05-13-2011, 03:32 PM

These are all great ideas!..thanks!

I am writing all these ideas down on my "To Do List" when we go up there!

Old 05-13-2011, 04:21 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,472,792 times
Take them tubing down the river. Teen girls love that kinda stuff. Relaxing on a tube, gettin a tan, gossiping, or whatever it is they do these days. ( I say this like I'm 80 and not 26)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina