Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2011, 08:49 AM

21 posts, read 92,586 times

Advertisements

We've recently arrived in the area and are house-hunting. We've lived in rural areas elsewhere where we had both a private well and septic system, but we always had at least 5 acres.

I've been a bit surprised at how many houses in this area with only about 0.5 acres have both a well and septic. Any reason I should be concerned about that, especially if the house is in a development with a perhaps dozens of similar houses? Perhaps the wells in this area are often deep and the soils perc well, but this seems to hold potential for problems.

Thanks for the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 09:20 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimb2 View Post
We've recently arrived in the area and are house-hunting. We've lived in rural areas elsewhere where we had both a private well and septic system, but we always had at least 5 acres.

I've been a bit surprised at how many houses in this area with only about 0.5 acres have both a well and septic. Any reason I should be concerned about that, especially if the house is in a development with a perhaps dozens of similar houses? Perhaps the wells in this area are often deep and the soils perc well, but this seems to hold potential for problems.

Thanks for the input.

Jim, it will depend on the "codes" for the areas you are looking in. Many homes are on an acre with wells, and depending on the age of the homes, the requirements are that they have a "backup field" for the septic system. A second area where a septic system has been approved for, in case the main one fails. Wells have to be within a certain number of feet of course from a well. You should be able to get city water in most areas you will be looking into. Only in the city proper will you get sewers of course.

Some areas east of Hendersonville (Dana, Edneyville etc.) do not have city water. You may find that you won't like driving east to west across Rt. 64 where all the businesses are, lots of traffic and traffic lights ... as I-26 interchange is there and can be difficult getting into town. The areas of Mills River and Etowah are much more accessible to let's say Rt. 280 and Rt. 64 to get into Brevard and the Pisgah Forest areas to take the Blue Ridge Parkway. You will also want to check out properties along Rt. 191 near Bent Creek. Rt. 191 runs from the City of Hendersonville at the Rt. 25/191 split... into Mills River, then a right at Rt. 280, and a jog at the traffic light at 280 and 191 into the lovely rural area heading to Bent Creek. That is Buncombe County though and taxes and property is more expensive. There are not many developments, subdivisions out east on the way to Lake Lure, and that road getting down to LL is very curvey, don't think you would want to travel out that way. Check into Hooper's Creek area and parts of Fairview as well.

All in all, don't worry about septic systems and wells. I would strongly recommend, however, that once you purchase, make it a contingency in your contract for a septic system "inspection", not just a water flow, but have the system itself inspected especially if it is an older home. Will cost another $400 or so, but worth it to put mind at ease.

I sent you a DM and hope that it helps your getting oriented in this area.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:26 AM

143 posts, read 368,767 times
I would also suggest a water test to make sure there isn't anything bad leeching into the well... There might be aneasy fix if there is, but better to be safe and know...

Old 05-24-2011, 09:42 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimb2 View Post

Thanks for the input.

Also Jim, have a radon test done on the house itself as well as the water on any property you like. There is radon found in the soil here in the mountains quite often. A good home inspector will have the ability to do all inspections. There are also private radon inspectors such as Aircheck in Henderson County; last time we used them I believe he charged $75.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina