Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2011, 07:03 PM

72 posts, read 192,161 times

Advertisements

Where is the outdoor recreation better? My primary interests are mountain biking and hiking, although I want to get into kayaking, fishing, and maybe snowboarding. Please keep in mind the convenience factor - the closer and more convenient to the center of town, the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 09:12 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,610,403 times
As I live 1 hour south of Asheville, I venture to Western NC quite a bit for mountainous excursions. Additionally, I've been to Denver/Ft Collins/SE Wyoming several times.

Asheville/Western NC - much, MUCH greener than Ft Collins, much more humid as well. Gentle, rolling mountains. Significant tree canopy. Highest elevations are 6500+ feet. Great whitewater rafting and fishing. Limited ski areas that DO NOT EVEN COME CLOSE to ski resorts out west. Very rarely do the resorts enjoy "powder" conditions here. Western NC is relatively close to the Atlantic (if that's important to you). Limited population and limited upscale amenities (again, if that's important to you). Great mountain biking in many areas (check out mtbikewnc.com).

Ft Collins - MUCH drier, W I D E open spaces (this is extremely rare in the East) - I would argue easier access to upscale shopping/retail/amenities - easy access to Denver and world class ski resorts. Great mountain biking as well. (Of course) limited water activities.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:28 AM

Thanks drfranklin - good info. I will check the mountain biking link you sent me. I have heard that Bent Creek is nice and just a bit Southeast of the city. Is it good there?

Old 05-30-2011, 10:11 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,997 times
I used to live in Fort Collins. Now I live in Greenville, SC but visit Asheville regularly.

As far as comparing the two places for hiking/mountain biking, you are kind of comparing apples to oranges. You'll find great hiking near both places, but the terrain is vastly different. Colorado is about huge mountains, pine trees, jaw-dropping vistas, getting your heart rate up (steepness and altitude of the mountains, real mountains I might add), and huge expanses of public lands. The mountains of WNC are equally as beautiful but in a much different way. It's a deciduous forest teaming with life, seasonality and a diversity you won't find in Colorado. In Colorado you have winter season, mud season, and summer. The hikable (word?) season here is longer, albeit the summers quite warmer (at least as far as the mountains, FC gets pretty darn hot in the summer, but its' a "dry heat.") The "mountains" here are hills compared to the Rockies, but the creeks and waterfalls are more numerous here. Also Asheville is IN the mountains, FC is nestled up to the foothils, more or less on the edge of the plains. So if you want to feel like your in more of a mountain town, Asheville is a better choice.

In FC, the Poudre is the main river and the fun part of it is probably 30 minutes from town. Great kayaking and great fishing. The kayaking in Colorado is much more intense than here (overall). You can mountain bike from town up around Horsetooth lake. There are thousands of miles of trails in Colorado. Also, Colorado is a very fit state as far as the people go. I found that very motivating when I lived there. You'll have no problem finding people to ride or hike with there.

You can't compare the skiing/snowbaording in the two places, but great skiing is a bit of a drive from FC. Boulder has closer options. You are looking at least an hour and half drive to Eldora or a little more to Winter Park. A-Basin, Breck, Keystone, Vail, etc. are 2.5 hours plus, depending on traffic.

Another great thing about FC is that Wyoming isn't too far. Some INCREDIBLE hiking up there. Out west is majestic in terms of the views and vistas. Out here is incredible in terms of diversity and having more seasons.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:02 PM

Thanks Art, for the good input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina