Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 11:04 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,412,423 times

Advertisements

I can't speak for Asheville proper, but property tax is low in the towns outside of Asheville. You can usually see what the tax amount is on real estate listings. Zillow shows it for sure.

You might save some grocery money by going to the Farmers Market or one of the many tailgate markets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 01:00 PM

6 posts, read 11,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOGABSTELL View Post
Hello! My husband, 4 year old, 2 malamutes, and I are looking to relocate to Western NC at the end of July. California is way too expensive and we want to be closer to family (OH, CT, NY)

I have worked for Marriott Hotels in the operations department for 10 years then a nanny for 1 and now an assistant teacher at a daycare facitlity for 18-30mos toddlers

My husband is a general contractor

We are looking for

Med/small town
down to earth friendly people
mountains, hiking, camping, skiing
3 bdrm house with land $1000
quaint/historic/fun downtown
family and dog friendly
great schools
4 seasons
laid back

I appreciate any advice/opinion/info you can provide

Small town in WNC that comes to mind for skiing, camping, hiking, and mountains would be the Waynesville, NC area. It is beautiful and the downtown area is tiny, but nice. This town will probably be a lot different than your California town but I love it! It's a short drive to the Great Smoky Mountain Parkway, and to the Blue Ridge Parkway which has TONS of hiking trails. There is a ski area right down the road in Maggie Valley (nothing compared to the ski resorts and slopes out West though). It's also a very safe place. My favorite neighborhood/area is actually the Johnathan Creek area.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:11 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,807,738 times
Just dont get it....Yes..I know Real Estate is mind-blowing there in San Francisco...but how could you leave all that.......San Fran is a vibrant city with lots to do and far more different than NC...... My boss moved to NC for career purposes but misses San Fran like mad....Personally i think he will move back if not not San Fran...some part of the westcoast...

Old 06-06-2011, 02:39 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOGABSTELL View Post
Hello! My husband, 4 year old, 2 malamutes, and I are looking to relocate to Western NC at the end of July. California is way too expensive and we want to be closer to family (OH, CT, NY)

I have worked for Marriott Hotels in the operations department for 10 years then a nanny for 1 and now an assistant teacher at a daycare facitlity for 18-30mos toddlers

My husband is a general contractor

We are looking for

Med/small town
down to earth friendly people
mountains, hiking, camping, skiing
3 bdrm house with land $1000
quaint/historic/fun downtown
family and dog friendly
great schools
4 seasons
laid back

I appreciate any advice/opinion/info you can provide

You are thinking of western NC to be nearer to OH, CT and NY? I am from New England, and there is NO good way to get to those areas from western NC. Flying out of here will always require a connection, there are very few direct or non stop flights from here.

The Shendoah Valley area of Virginia would put you a good 6 or more hours closer to OH, CT or NY. The mountains are softer, lower, and the land is more rolling and easier to travel. Check out northeast and northwest of Roanoke (Salem, Lynchburg, Bedford etc.), and as someone else mentioned, Charlottesville (lovely and pricey). Anywhere along the Rt. 81 corridor heading north out of Roanoke will put you in beautiful country with small quaint towns and easy access to Rt. 84. Lexington, Blacksburg, Waynesboro, Staunton, etc. etc. all within a one day drive to the places you mention.

Lancaster County in PA is also beautiful rolling farmland (much of it is Amish country), very bucolic and green living. The areas around Milford and New Milford PA are beautiful too and have nice skiing camping etc.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:38 AM

178 posts, read 583,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Hi Boogabstell.
Saw that you posted a similar post in the Vermont forum. Interesting to me because Vermont and Western N.C are my two favorite eastern areas. I am still plotting my move to WNC and I use to live in Vermont, still have family there and just got back from a visit.

I pretty much gave up on a return to Vt. but still have WNC in my vision.
I am guessing (maybe assumptive) that if you are from Bay Area that your views run liberal. In that respect Burlington would probably suit you more, but as far as affordablility then WNC is probably cheaper. I know people in WNC think it is super expensive and no jobs but comparatively it is not.

Vermont still has my heart as #1 and it's beauty can still bring me to tears but Western N.C. is a fantastic compromise. It has the mountains, great lifestyle and outdoors vibe but is not quite as expensive. And yes, WNC is very dog friendly. Check out the little town of Black Mountain. I took my aussie there and couldn't believe how everyone layed out the red carpet for him. Store keepers literally ran out with doggie water bowls when they saw us pass by the their storefront. Almost all restaurants had seating outside for my pooch. My dog got so many pats on the head, oohs and ahs, and so much much attention the friend I was with said it was like traveling with a celebrity!

WNC weather is much more moderate-even in the High Country where they think they get "alot of snow" it can't compare to the severe winters of the N.E. Even though the summers and fall in New England make my heart sing the winters are TOUGH. N.C. gets the thumbs up because the winters are bearable and the rest of the year is nice.
Good luck to you!

Hi Booya, I was not able to send you a private message. I was wondering (I am from Maine) how you said that NE Summers and Falls are wonderful, (and I agree), how you feel they are different than WNC's?

And this sentence exactly : I know people in WNC think it is super expensive and no jobs but comparatively it is not.
IS so true. I have no idea why people in WNC find it so expensive, I guess maybe compared to the rest of the South. But areas around Asheville for example, I can find rentals for 900-1000 a month for a 2 bedroom house! Some even as low as 800 a month. Most of the nice areas in anywhere in NE (nice as in having a yard, driveway etc) can easily be 1,200 or 1,500 a month. $800 to $1,000 would most likely get you a 2 bed apartment. I am currently in PA, and I am having a hard time finding a rental that is not an apartment that is under 1,300 a month, meaning there are slim to none in all of 3 counties!!! Ya sure, there are a few rentals in WNC that are 2,000 a month, but that may be considered high, where PA on up to NE, you can find millions at 2,500 to 3,000 a month or way more, and I am not talking about mansions, just regular 2-3 bed homes. Not everyone in PA or NE make 100K a year either like everyone thinks. There are plenty of people scraping by on 30K-40K a year, and still paying the high housing prices.

Anyway! Where do you live now, and how do you compare it? I am interested on your take to the weather comparison to VT and WNC, and why! Thanks!

Old 06-11-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernNE View Post
I have no idea why people in WNC find it so expensive, I guess maybe compared to the rest of the South.
They think WNC is expensive because it is high relative to the rest of the South, and because WNC prices have skyrocketed in the last 15 years with the influx of so many new people.

Just to give you an idea, I am renting a brand-new 2500+ square foot house with hardwood floors, upscale finishes, a stone terrace and large deck for ... wait for it ... $850 per month.

I am in Hiawassee, GA which is also in the mountains, but two and a half hours from Asheville. I could not get this house in Asheville for the same rent.

It's all relative.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:31 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,881,361 times
speaking of lower cost of living: right now we pay $ 2000 for our car insurance (mini van and Beetle) here is DE - in asheville we are going to pay 800 a year ! property taxes seem to be the same, so no surprises here.
we won't come for big savings - but getting such a nice environment AND saving some money on those things is great of course !

Old 06-14-2011, 06:51 PM
RVT

367 posts, read 772,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Just dont get it....Yes..I know Real Estate is mind-blowing there in San Francisco...but how could you leave all that.......San Fran is a vibrant city with lots to do and far more different than NC...... My boss moved to NC for career purposes but misses San Fran like mad....Personally i think he will move back if not not San Fran...some part of the westcoast...
Perhaps they realize that CA is a failed state and is getting ready to implode upon itself, and they are getting out while they can. If you look at the maps of where people are moving to and from, you will see that there is a large number moving away from CA.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:24 PM

141 posts, read 323,133 times
Sooo, since no one else has broached the most important subject, what do you plan on doing for work? The things you've listed aren't exactly in high demand in this region. Find an area with jobs that will provide your family with stability, everything else is just gravy.

Old 06-18-2011, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbspt View Post
Sooo, since no one else has broached the most important subject, what do you plan on doing for work?
I take it you haven't seen "Gentle reminder from the moderator" at the very top of the message board?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina