Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 06:54 AM

22 posts, read 68,967 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have Asheville on our short list of places to semi-retire to in 18 months. We currently live in a condo in an urban neighborhood and walk to shops, pubs, restaurants, bank,farmers market etc. We love this lifestyle and our neighborhood but hate the long dreary winters that force us indoors for 5 months of the year. We will 58 and 62 so still very active. We will be in Asheville for a week in Sept to check it out. Can anyone suggest neighborhoods where we would find this. Schools don't matter, we're empty nesters. Thanks, Meb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 08:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,196 times
Meb,
I am doing the same thing you are which is looking at Asheville, NC to retire. Have you come across an Independent Senior Living Community that you thought was good?
Sandy

Old 06-30-2011, 12:53 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,472,792 times
Asheville, despite its claims, isn't a very walkable community. For example if you were living downtown, you would have a few restaurants and tourist stores to walk to, but you couldn't walk to the grocery, hardware, or anything else like that stores which are out of downtown. And compared to cities up north I think you will be severely disappointed.

West Asheville is the only area that I'd consider really walkable and might be a bit better choice wise but I'm not sure if there are condos there? It might just be all houses.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:32 AM

Sandy, I haven't looked at Senior communities, not sure what is there. Saucystargazer, is West Ashville an ok area? It seems a lot of people talk about a higher crime rate there.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:24 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,246,549 times
Dear MebOhio,
If you could live just north of downtown, those are some nice older neighborhoods with sidewalks, big old trees, green spaces. You can walk or bike throughout and from there to downtown, cross a choice of several bridges with sidewalks over the I-240 freeway, some bridges have very little traffic, and those neighborhoods are either the Montford Historic District or the N Charlotte Street/Grove Park areas. There are also lots of condos of varying character and price right inside the downtown district.

There's a newer hardware store "Asheville Hardware" in south downtown just a few blocks past the U.S. Post Office near the bus station, right off Coxe Avenue,they renovated an older building. And there's a modern-built grocery store "Greenlife Grocery" just a couple blocks north of downtown proper on Merrimon, open seven days a week, mostly organic, but they have everything you can imagine for ALL your regular grocery needs. You do not have to cross a freeway to get to the grocery from the N Asheville neighborhoods I mentioned, but just watch the areas within a couple blocks of the freeway, somewhat rundown in places, so cut thru just north of those places.
GG

Old 07-01-2011, 12:38 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,848,570 times
Asheville is not a "walkable city" by any stretch of the imagination. The only way you could walk to anything is if you lived in some loft apartment for $1300 a month, and even then all you could walk to would be a couple restaurants and a coffee house or something. I would suggest one of two options:

1) Get a car.
2) Consider a different city, such as Boulder, CO; or quite a few Western college towns.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:39 PM

279 posts, read 534,150 times
I don't live downtown, but if I did I'd be fine with just shoes. Maybe a scooter with a basket.

Between the bakeries, the co-op, the produce in the Grove Arcade, and the drug store on Patton- I'd have access to everything I need.

The CVS being replaced by Urban Outfitters and now the Downtown Market going under are blows, but Solace restaurant is gradually offering all of their raw materials for sale and a few other business owners I know are planning to help fill the void.

Walkable? Heh! Can't tell you how many times I've tripped on the anarchic sidewalks around here. 3 years ago, I watched a poor lady snap her heels off on one of the tree grates and knock herself out. I've learned to stare at my feet as I walk.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:13 PM

492 posts, read 406,385 times
Hi Meb,

My vision of a retirement home has gone from a "2500 sq ft home in the mountains" to a "close-to-downtown condo with a view of the mountains."

I'll be interested to hear what you find on your visit. Please share what you find. Thanks!
-Xenah

Old 07-03-2011, 06:31 AM

Thanks for the info, I am going to check out West Asheville and the northern neighborhoods. Shipof fools, I have a car, actually when my kids were in high school and we lived in the suburbs, we had four. We're very familiar with the jump in your car and drive 15 minutes everytime you need to run an errand or want to go out for a bite. It's what we want to avoid. Xenah, I will post my thoughts on the area when we return in Sept.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:02 AM

521 posts, read 1,151,423 times
Default North Asheville is a nice area...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimac View Post
Dear MebOhio,
If you could live just north of downtown, those are some nice older neighborhoods with sidewalks, big old trees, green spaces. You can walk or bike throughout and from there to downtown, cross a choice of several bridges with sidewalks over the I-240 freeway, some bridges have very little traffic, and those neighborhoods are either the Montford Historic District or the N Charlotte Street/Grove Park areas. There are also lots of condos of varying character and price right inside the downtown district.

There's a newer hardware store "Asheville Hardware" in south downtown just a few blocks past the U.S. Post Office near the bus station, right off Coxe Avenue,they renovated an older building. And there's a modern-built grocery store "Greenlife Grocery" just a couple blocks north of downtown proper on Merrimon, open seven days a week, mostly organic, but they have everything you can imagine for ALL your regular grocery needs. You do not have to cross a freeway to get to the grocery from the N Asheville neighborhoods I mentioned, but just watch the areas within a couple blocks of the freeway, somewhat rundown in places, so cut thru just north of those places.
GG
If you lived like, say off North Merrimom near Ingles, that would more convenient. There's a few restaurants up that way, and 2 groceries, and a hardware store and banks. Pretty area too. Not sure if they have apt. buildings there or not. It's near Grove Park Inn too. Maybe there's condos there, try look & see.
Good luck. Do you not have a car?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina