Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2011, 10:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,378 times

Advertisements

Hi there, new here, and I am wondering if anyone can give me tips on where to live in asheville, more on the outskirts.
I am tired of Texas..........WAY TOO HOT HERE
miss the four seasons and thought of nc....any idea where i can find a nice place in nc, where i have plenty of fun with my kids, find a job, and have german people around me....I am from Berlin and made America my home 12 years ago....thanks alot...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 06:50 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missannasophie View Post
Hi there, new here, and I am wondering if anyone can give me tips on where to live in asheville, more on the outskirts.
I am tired of Texas..........WAY TOO HOT HERE
miss the four seasons and thought of nc....any idea where i can find a nice place in nc, where i have plenty of fun with my kids, find a job, and have german people around me....I am from Berlin and made America my home 12 years ago....thanks alot...

It would be strongly recommended that you visit the Asheville area for at least a two week period. The job market here is difficult; and no one should relocate without a job which should be the first priority, or without a minimum of one year's full expenses set aside while you search. Weather is not a good reason to move anywhere. Take a look at the weather patterns just this year alone. Come to visit, try to rent for at least a year to take an opportunity to investigate what you are seeking, see if you really like it and can make a go of it.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:25 AM
cc9

10 posts, read 11,646 times
if you want 4 distinct seasons with lots of germans, come to cincinnati. it's cheap here, and there is a heavy german culture in the city. home of the biggest Oktoberfest in the country, as far as i know, too.

bring your family to cincinnati...you can take my place.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:39 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,881,121 times
hi there,

we moved to Asheville .... last week. And ... I am from germany too and already met a couple of other germans around.

we chose asheville because of all the outdoor opportunities, the cultural and culinary diversity .... and since it looks like the black forest to me .

I did two years of research and preparation, before we took the big step. another 'cluster' of germans you will find around raleigh and charlotte, since there are a lot of big german companies.

bis bald

Q.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:34 AM
RVT

367 posts, read 771,978 times
Another place you might consider would be Greenville SC. Just down the road from Asheville and it has the BMW plant so probably a large number of Germans there also.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:24 PM

34 posts, read 69,644 times
I am from Germany and have lived in Asheville past 23 years ,I never meet Germans?? Where are they located the ages between 40-55??? There are quite a few retired Germans here and in Hendersonville and the surrounding areas.

Old 09-03-2011, 04:48 PM

1,998 posts, read 4,609,789 times
RVT is exactly right - there are Germans everywhere here (Upstate SC), especially in Greer, Greenville, and Simpsonville. Of course, this is due to the BMW plant and its numerous suppliers. BMW just completed a $750 million expansion last October to support its X Sport Acivity line boosting capacity by more than 50%.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:28 PM

34 posts, read 69,644 times
There should be quite a few in the Charlotte area-

Old 09-11-2011, 08:34 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,511,524 times
I can't say for sure about German population in Asheville nothing like Milwaukee, Wisconsin where I grew up! I live outside Weaverville, NC. (near Asheville) and on my road alone there are several people originally from Germany and several other European countries are represented. Charlotte has a fairly good number of Germans and I think upstate SC but hotter in both places and not in the mountains. Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina