Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2011, 12:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,625 times

Advertisements

Halo!

So I just thought I'd through this question out to you guys and see what the general response/interest is:

Do you think the Bent Creek community here in AVL would benefit from having a mobile app that displayed a Google map of the Bent Creek trails (with same zoom functionality and GPS blue dot etc. - it would have to be a pre-download type deal as the cell reception in that beautiful place isn't great.

Thoughts? Maybe there IS something like that out there already that bikers, hikers, runners prefer to use?

Thanks guys,

Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 07:08 AM

252 posts, read 474,270 times
Hey Dave,

As a hiker, I say heck yea! I hike Bent Creek via the Arboretum, and I just know I'm missing out on some trails out there. :-) I'd imagine for bicyclists, it would really be helpful.

Another google map app that is sorely needed is one for the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Anyways, here's one vote.

Thanks,
Marie

Old 07-25-2011, 11:36 AM

2,103 posts, read 4,473,588 times
There is already one. You can find copies of it at the trail heads sometimes also. Bent Creek Area Trail Maps

Old 07-25-2011, 07:32 PM

252 posts, read 474,270 times
Thanks Saucy! Still would be nice to have it as a google type app on the phone, though. :-)

Old 06-18-2013, 10:32 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,881,818 times
whole family went mountain biking in Bent Creek for the first time and it was such a great trip !!

unfortunately the box with paper maps was empty and we did not download any map from the internet. I kind of trusted my experience that usually there are maps and brochures everywhere.

So when we passed the campground, I stopped to ask them for a map. there was a short line and I had a very nice conversation with the woman in front of me. When it was my turn, I asked if they had any map for me.
the guy (about 65 and grumpy) told me, they only have maps for their campers. But I could buy a map in town.
I told him that I would have needed it right now since we got lost twice. But he refused to give me one.
I turned around and wanted to leave, but then the lady next to me called me back and asked me to wait. she told the guy, since she was a camper she for sure can get a trail map, right (lol) ?

the answer from this grumpy guy was "And you think I don't KNOW that as soon as I give it to you you will pass it on to her ?" and she did not get one either !!!
we could have fought to get one - but since she just arrived I did not want to spoil their stay there and thanked her warmly for her try to help me.

we have memberships to many local places to support them. we live within city limits and pay high taxes ... and there is NO way to get a simple paper map for the trails in Bent Creek ? really ?

after two years this was my first unpleasant experience.

and now I go and download the map for next time we go

what we've learned for next time: never relay on those information boxes, but bring your own. (and .. kharma is a ***** - hopefully ).

Old 06-18-2013, 02:29 PM

52 posts, read 87,178 times
Default Bent Creek Map

You can buy a map and Mast General Store. It is called the Western North Carolina Trail guide for the South Pisgah Ranger District, including Bent Creek. I bought one for trail riding and it is very thorough.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:45 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,881,818 times
I got one in the meantime, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina