Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 08:54 PM

532 posts, read 1,091,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
You mean they could stay in the same building?

According to their newsletter, there is a new building owner and they were presented with a new lease. They can't afford the new rent. That's why they have to move.

I didn't mean they could stay in the same place, just that things have been iffy since the bankruptcy filing. I didn't make that clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 09:23 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,412,423 times
Customers are flocking to Poppies Facebook page to show their support.

Poppies Market - Food/Grocery - Brevard, NC | Facebook

They are writing letters to the new building owner and posting messages to his Facebook page. Evidently, not only does he want to raise the rent to a level Poppies can't afford, he also says he will put in a grocery just like Poppies if they leave.

Poppies customers are so appalled that they are letting him know they will never set foot in his new store. And they can't believe he would raise the rent on a great tenant in this bad economy. They say they are going to be loyal to Poppies for all the blood, sweat, and tears they invested in bringing this sort of business to Transylvania County.

Personally, I agree. There are a lot of reasons to consider a move to Transylvania County, but Poppies was a big factor for me because I am looking for as much organic and local food as I can find, as well as healthier packaged food options.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:47 PM

The latest rumor I've heard is the original owners of Earth Fare will be opening a store there.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:14 AM

I don't get it.

The new owner buys the building at auction, so his monthly payment (if he has any) should be less than the previous owner. Then he turns around and raises the rent on a good tenant at a time when commercial real estate isn't doing well.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:40 AM

No accountin' for some people.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:19 AM

The latest from Poppies' newsletter:

"We have found a very exciting location that we think our community will LOVE!! The next step is for us to spend time refining our business plan and figuring what the cost will be to make the space Poppies. We will be calling on private investors and our customers to help. If you have ideas or would like to learn how you could be involved, email Randy at rbaron@citcom.net or call him at the store.

So many of you have offered your help with the physical move, again, we're overwhelmed by your support. We will be sure and let everyone know what we need as we get closer to that time."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina