Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 06:24 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,537,449 times

Advertisements

State and national park managers in western North Carolina are warning tourists to store food and dispose of garbage properly lest they attract hungry black bears. Some campsites and hiking trails have been closed because of increased bear activity.

read more Tourists warned to be on the lookout for bears
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 11:43 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,503,633 times
I saw one crossing the golf course last week. yikes. No trash around that I know of, but the berries are out.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:38 AM

252 posts, read 474,270 times
Thanks so much for posting this, Sunny! I had no idea. It was an interesting article too. :-)

Old 10-04-2011, 10:47 PM

118 posts, read 235,030 times
There was on in the neighbors yard last week.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:41 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,512,190 times
Default Bear Activity

This is bear activity time in the mountains. They are looking for food before wintering over and this has not been a good acorn year so roaming alot. Some tips for anyone new to the area. They are not usually dangerous but respect them and keep your distance. Remember they were here first this is their home even if you live in a subdivision in Asheville. They seem to show up all over in town and out. Do not leave garbage cans outside, dog/cat food or your grill. Bears are powerful and can get into most cans and have a excellent sense of smell. Take your birdfeeders in at night and if there are bears showing up in your area take down completely. While we we on vacation recently person dog sitting forgot one night and next day bear scat on deck and teeth marks on railing. Dogs will usually have a fit if they smell bears. Ours can be asleep in the driveway and all of a sudden jump up and set up a howl. We have discovered they have a bear bark and it is total frenzy! Usually bears will detour if there are dogs but ours are in the house at night so didn't catch wiff on night visitor on deck.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:03 AM

4,792 posts, read 10,617,090 times
We have 2 mother bears here on the Mtn: one has 2 cubs and wanders around the homes surrounding Laurel Ridge CC, Waynesville.

The 'other mother' has 3 cubs, and I have seen her and the cubs twice now, on my early morning walk up the mtn. We are much more spread out here, above LRCC, and the community meadow has a dozen 200+ yr old oaks, but I agree that the acorn fall is much less this autumn.
Bears are ok...mother bears with cubs, are a whole different deal, imo.

I've been packing my Glock, and singing loudly/badly during my trudge, the past few weeks...

Old 10-30-2011, 08:53 PM

Mother bears can be unpredictable glad they are no Grizzlies around here. Luckily black bears are not usually aggressive We've had mothers with cubs nearby but no problems. Did get a start when a huge male showed up in the driveway. He was beautiful probably 350 lbs. but glad I was on the inside looking out. We back up to the Pisgah so they they make the rounds past our place. I like knowing I live in a place where there are still wild things. Of course when the turkeys tear up my yard I do get aggravated!

Old 10-30-2011, 09:18 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,473,588 times
Brother attends WCU. Said they had a cub sitting outside his dorm entrance a few weeks ago with the mother roaming in the field. Crazy stuff! You just gotta know you are in there territory and tread gently.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:52 AM

Agree, knowing this is their territory and respecting that fact is important.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:41 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,849,665 times
Indeed, this is their territory, and they rule it. We have a family of black bears that lives in the woods behind the meadow across the creek, and they are awesome to watch. This time of year is particularly high in bear activity because they tend to want to eat a lot before the cold weather comes. Be wise out there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina