Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 06:45 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
Agree on the flooding: Irene can stay away, imo.
We got our fannies kicked during Frances & Ivan, summer of 2004, up here on the E/SE facing ridge at 5,000 ft. We don't need any 'Canes...some good rain would be welcome.
GL, mD
Yes, it sounds as tho you have already dealt w/ enuff hurricane fall out!

We have trees surrounding us - I always deal w/ falling limbs after storms w/ any sustained wind. Guess I better get the chainsaw shined up = just in case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 06:55 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,602,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yes, it sounds as tho you have already dealt w/ enuff hurricane fall out!

We have trees surrounding us - I always deal w/ falling limbs after storms w/ any sustained wind. Guess I better get the chainsaw shined up = just in case.
Us, too...it took all of us in the four houses on our road, a full day to cut our way out, after both F & I, and all 30 homeowners to get our road down the Mtn, open. I now have 2 Stihls, and a bag of sharpened chains.

We had knee deep debris, limbs and branches and leaves, on the road, under the downed trees. A neighbor, a weather nut, lost his anemometer at 101 mph, last recording. Rockin' & rolling up here on the ridge. Was enough for me.
GL, mD

Old 08-23-2011, 10:17 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,873 times
I was driving and didn't feel it but I did notice my phone not working for a little bit and then I tried to pump gas shortly after it happened and couldn't get my card to run. I was in a hurry and rather irritated at the station until I heard about the quake and put two together.

But in Aug 2005 we had a little jolt. I remember that well and I know WNC gets small tremors from time to time. There are some major fault lines through the
mountains.

Now hurricanes..... I remember vividly when the ones came through in 2004 and flooded biltmore village. It was several years before all the parkway was open again due to the damage. They canceled classes and closed the dorms at UNCA because of it. I don't think this one is going to be that bad, but of course because I feel that way, just watch, all of NC will be without power for a week. Crazy stuff.

On a slightly different note, they are predicting amazing fall color this year...pending this hurricane. They are saying the hurricane could change everything if it hits wnc. I'm really hoping it doesn't. I've got plans this fall gosh darnit!

Last edited by saucystargazer; 08-23-2011 at 10:27 PM..

Old 08-23-2011, 11:26 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
This is actually the second earthquake I've experienced in the mountains. There was one that came in the middle of the night when I lived in Murphy.

Can't remember the year, but it was somewhere between 2001 and 2004.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:56 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,969,139 times
We live just outside Boone and didn't feel anything, although the dogs were going crazy. And I lived in Brasstown when that earthquake was there in 2003, and didn't feel it either. Not that I'm complaining.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:56 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happeemommee View Post
We live just outside Boone and didn't feel anything, although the dogs were going crazy. And I lived in Brasstown when that earthquake was there in 2003, and didn't feel it either. Not that I'm complaining.
Nope, wouldn't be complaining on that one, lol.

I find it so interesting about the reaction of dogs. Crazy how they seem to know something is coming . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina