Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 08:38 AM

532 posts, read 1,091,638 times

Advertisements

Asheville business gets boost from topless demonstration | The Asheville Citizen-Times | citizen-times.com

Asheville business gets boost from topless demonstration
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 10:17 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,413,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mule View Post
It's not like we don't have enough real issues, the kind that have actual consequences, that need solutions. Of course, tackling those is tough and often not glamorous.
Yeah, in the hierarchy of crying-out-for-justice needs, the ability to go topless has got to be at the bottom of the list.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:21 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,922,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mule View Post
The protest and Mumpower's response were both for the same thing: shock value.

They feed off each other. I'd just as soon ignore them both.

The only disturbing thing I find about this is trying to artificially expand the child abuse statutes in this manner. I, for one, am tired of people contorting laws to encompass things they were never designed to cover for the goal of punishing something they simply do not agree with....even if that something is not in violation of any law.

It's not like we don't have enough real issues, the kind that have actual consequences, that need solutions. Of course, tackling those is tough and often not glamorous.
Indeed. They deserve to be ignored. Just like the mainstream media in general.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:12 PM

23 posts, read 55,799 times
wish stuff like this would happen more often its' better than bellechere and does not require overtime for cops. that and people first ammendment rights are not trampled .

Old 08-28-2011, 08:39 AM

123 posts, read 437,611 times
This is amusing - I just read that the founder of the "Go Topless" movement is the same guy that founded the UFO-based Raelian Movement. I think that speaks volumes about the mentality of these people.

Where and when you can go topless in Ontario, and what it has to do with UFOs | Posted Toronto | National Post

Old 08-28-2011, 09:08 AM

700 posts, read 1,646,997 times
I have no problem with topless women. As long as they have something worth showing off.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:15 PM

358 posts, read 786,484 times
Even the comments on this normally issue free rather pleasant forum shows that those women had a point. I have read some insensitive, crude and insulting comments about these women from the same people who may have recently given those same women friendly advice on a good place to live, look for a job or where a good pace to eat might be. This forum should be better than that!
Had a group of men taken off their shirts no one would have cared and there certainly would not have been insensitive comments voiced so strongly. It was a silly protest, we all do silly things but does it warrant such crude comments? Until something like this barely makes a wimper we have a lot of growing up to do. And in my opinion that was the point.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:51 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,537,449 times
Opponents of a recent topless rally in Asheville held a counter-protest Sunday. But their efforts were disrupted when two women bared their breasts during the rally. One of the women was arrested after removing all her clothing.

Anti-topless protest in Asheville becomes confrontational

Old 08-29-2011, 08:50 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,540,763 times
And so the this past Sunday we had the boobs and the butts (counter protesters) on display in downtown.

Ring leaders of the non-mammary side just happen to be very active in the republican party. Can we say "cheap political grandstanding"?

Old 08-29-2011, 11:02 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,059,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
alleging that a topless demonstration Sunday constituted child abuse. [/url]
I hope this guy's suit does not succeed. One benefit of the lack of a topless law is that it allows mothers to breast-feed in public. That is certainly not child abuse. I think discrete breast-feeding should always be allowed, but not exhibitionism.

Last edited by goldenage1; 08-29-2011 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: clarification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina