Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 08:04 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times

Advertisements

Former Asheville City Council member Carl Mumpower filed a complaint with social workers Tuesday, alleging that a topless demonstration Sunday constituted child abuse. The rally was one of several nationwide organized by the group GoTopless.org. City police have said there is no law banning women from baring their breasts in public.

read more
Former Asheville city council member: Topless protest constituted child abuse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 09:14 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,250,204 times
I was wondering how long it would be before we talked about this ...

While I don't think what they did showed much class or style, I understand the principal behind it. I just think they could have gone about it in a different manner. Making a public spectacle of yourself is never the best way to prove a point or get your message across. There are much more dignified ways to do it - activism doesn't have to be a "HEY LOOK AT ME!!!!!!!!" show. Activism comes from talking to people calmly, rationally, intelligently and with the knowledge that not everyone will see things your way. Grassroots activism truly comes from being able to discuss the matter openly and honestly without pointing fingers or making a scene.

As for this being child abuse ....
I really think they're reaching on that one
Besides ... I knew all about Chad Nesbitt when he was a teenager/early adult .... and he would have been one of the first ones up there gawking.

Again, people are so convinced that they're right and that no one else's opinion could possibly have any merit ...
that's why we're so screwed up.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:44 AM

123 posts, read 437,511 times
I don't think it was child abuse but it was tacky to say the least. You usually have to visit a trailer park to find people of that caliber. I'm no prude but whenever people act like that, I tend to lose interest in whatever their message is.

And I'll just add that there are plenty of men that shouldn't be going topless either. It's bad enough that they do it now they want to subject us to Aunt Milly's saggy melons? I don't think so. Keep 'em covered up ladies!

Last edited by CharlieLovesCarolina; 08-24-2011 at 11:09 AM..

Old 08-24-2011, 11:30 AM

62 posts, read 68,517 times
Coyote

Old 08-24-2011, 11:53 AM

12,039 posts, read 6,570,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo_in_reverse View Post
Activism comes from talking to people calmly, rationally, intelligently and with the knowledge that not everyone will see things your way. Grassroots activism truly comes from being able to discuss the matter openly and honestly without pointing fingers or making a scene.:
Bravo--couldn't have said it any better!
Reps to you

Old 08-24-2011, 12:53 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,000 times
I'm a bit confused--if going topless isn't illegal, then what are they protesting? Just take off your top and go grocery shopping, or to your kid's soccer game, or wherever else you need to go. I promise I won't mind at all.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:54 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,847,561 times
^ Yeah, me neither. There are a lot of really really attractive women living in the city. 'Course, they don't seem to be the ones who went to this little shindig...

And I think the protest is something like, "Well men can walk around in public with no shirt on, why can't we?" Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I gotta say, I just have no problem with this, and I certainly don't see how it's friggin' child abuse, heheh. Your average kid has seen more boob by the time he's a year old than most grown men see in years. If women want to go out and protest topless... why stop 'em?

Old 08-25-2011, 08:28 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
I'm a bit confused -- if going topless isn't illegal, then what are they protesting?
You aren't the only one confused.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:30 AM

679 posts, read 1,461,926 times
The protest and Mumpower's response were both for the same thing: shock value.

They feed off each other. I'd just as soon ignore them both.

The only disturbing thing I find about this is trying to artificially expand the child abuse statutes in this manner. I, for one, am tired of people contorting laws to encompass things they were never designed to cover for the goal of punishing something they simply do not agree with....even if that something is not in violation of any law.

It's not like we don't have enough real issues, the kind that have actual consequences, that need solutions. Of course, tackling those is tough and often not glamorous.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:35 AM

532 posts, read 1,091,187 times
According to the paper it drew thousands of people to watch/gawk. Maybe it was good for business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina