Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2011, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,352 times

Advertisements

Hi there, me and my mother are moving to Asheville this October and I am extremely nervous and excited lol. I've never lived any where except Las Vegas NV and I am completely looking forward to moving!

From what I have read Asheville sounds like the perfect place for me. I have to have mountains and I’m getting sick of the 112 degree weather! I am also vegan and looking forward to fresh veggies (none in Vegas) and come from a pretty liberal open minded family.
One big concern of mine is the 24hr scene; coming from a place where you can get authentic Mexican food at 3am is it going to be hard to adjust?

I’m also curious about the job market out there, and the climate e.g. tornados, earthquakes, floods?

Pretty much any information about life there would be extremely helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 06:33 AM

252 posts, read 473,830 times
Hey Got2rock,

That's a big move, no wonder you're excited! I don't think AVL & LV could be any different. Before moving here last May, I just read & read through all the posts here. It really answers many questions & gives you alot of info about the area & the many different experiences & opinions.

Like most of the country, the job market here is beyond pathetic. Finding a position is going to depend on your background & education & what's available. Oh, & luck. :-) F&B and healthcare seem to offer the better chance of finding something.

I haven't spent a winter here yet, but I'm guessing that will be when extreme weather will be the biggest problem. I did however experience a cyclone during a nasty pop-up thunderstorm in Sylva in June that was pretty scary. A large tree fell right in front of me across the road while I was trying to drive slowly to find safety, though I couldn't see for the rain was so heavy. But I don't think tornadoes normally happen a whole lot in the mountains. Nor hurricanes or earthquakes, but they do come around now & again.

It'll be a big adjustment, living in a small city after being in Vegas. BIG. One thing I got out of the posts here was summed up beautifully by LAMusicMan on the Leaves alot to be desired....post. He says it best, but wherever you go, there you are. Life's what you make it, no matter where you live. It really is up to you & how you see things is a choice. (Though I have to shamefully admit, Vegas is probably the one place where I don't think I could ever enjoy living. I'm sure it has its pluses, but still...)

I hope you & your Mom have a safe, fun move & you enjoy living here!!!

~Marie

Old 08-28-2011, 07:40 PM

252 posts, read 473,830 times
Btw, must correct& say it was LAMusicGuy that had the great words of wisdom on the other thread, & also want to clarify that a local in Sylva referred to the tornado that ripped up 11 trees on their road, and not one hit anyone's house, as a "confirmed cyclone". Mountain speak!! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina