Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2011, 02:15 PM

6 posts, read 13,638 times

Advertisements

would have to say that affordability is my main issue. at 62, i have lived, loved and survived from albuquerque to detroit and hollywood to boston with many small towns along the way. i have been fortunate in being "out" and accepted wherever. now as one of the many disenfranchised, i find myself needing to make a change from the southwest to the southeast on the smallest of shoestrings. i am noticeable with a shaved head and tattoos so i search in the lesbian friendly world because of overall alternative choices such as tai chi, bike friendly, coops, etc. asheville always seems to top the list, but as i live on a fixed income now i fear not being able to survive financially. i don't drive to complicate things. comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 02:57 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,922,244 times
In terms of lifestyle, Asheville certainly sounds up your alley. Regarding affordability, everything is relative, so it depends on what constitutes "affordable" to you. I would suggest doing some research on the relative affordability of Asheville compared with your current city.

For example:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 04:00 AM..

Old 08-29-2011, 03:39 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,472,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
In terms of lifestyle, Asheville certainly sounds up your alley. Regarding affordability, everything is relative, so it depends on what constitutes "affordable" to you. I would suggest doing some research on the relative affordability of Asheville compared with your current city.

For example:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Those things are never accurate. What would be more accurate is if you stated how much a month you expect (can afford) to pay for rent and utilities/ or home price range and what you expect to get for that range. Then we could be of more help. It would also allow you to start looking at craiglist and newspapers and to see if you could in fact afford to live in WNC.

If you want walkable though, NC is not really a good choice and asheville only has a very small area of walkable spots which are usually much more expensive to live in. You'd be better off going northeast in that respect as the south is known for sprawl and lack of public transport.

P.S. Only Asheville is "liberal" in WNC. Its a small island is a vastly conservative (bible belt!) location. In fact, your title had me do a double take because of how inaccurate it is. Have you visited? People need to visit a location before up and moving.

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 04:00 AM..

Old 08-29-2011, 05:37 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,319,034 times
for what it is worth, affordability could be an issue depending upon your financial resources. WNC itself does not tend to be liberal. Pockets in Asheville, maybe are. Then it gets back to affordability

Old 08-29-2011, 06:12 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satchelbritches View Post
would have to say that affordability is my main issue. at 62, i have lived, loved and survived from albuquerque to detroit and hollywood to boston with many small towns along the way. i have been fortunate in being "out" and accepted wherever. now as one of the many disenfranchised, i find myself needing to make a change from the southwest to the southeast on the smallest of shoestrings. i am noticeable with a shaved head and tattoos so i search in the lesbian friendly world because of overall alternative choices such as tai chi, bike friendly, coops, etc. asheville always seems to top the list, but as i live on a fixed income now i fear not being able to survive financially. i don't drive to complicate things. comments?

Don't even consider living in Asheville on a fixed income without a car. Check the cost of living comparisons as another poster suggested. An apartment in a low to mid range for a 2 BR, not in a ghetto, will run you easily around $900 a month plus utilities, and up.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:09 PM

6 posts, read 13,638 times
altho i am an ordained buddhist, i grew up a southern baptist so i know the bible belt mentality first hand. i don't drink, smoke, do drugs or eat meat so i live quite simply. i currently live in the rather up scale arizona town of Bisbee where i owned and operated my own restaurnt until becoming legally blind in 1999. north is not such a good choice if one is afoot and a dry climate is not good for the nerve damage left by carbon monoxide poisoning so the south is something i must explore. i'm sure no one ever acccused most of the south of being liberal and i didn't write that tag line as it is.
one doesn't always get to choose how life plays out but one can choose the integrity with which one deals. toward that end i find myself having to rent for the first time since 1987 and with less income for a month than most folks spend in a week. but you know, regardless of the form, the Lord does provide--even in western north carolina!

Old 08-30-2011, 01:13 PM

279 posts, read 534,234 times
I can't remember the name of the building across the street from The Indigo Hotel, but I was shocked that two of my employees were able to get an 2 BR there for 825, utilities included.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:26 PM

679 posts, read 1,462,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuck View Post
I can't remember the name of the building across the street from The Indigo Hotel, but I was shocked that two of my employees were able to get an 2 BR there for 825, utilities included.
If you are talking about the building across the street from the north end of the Grove Arcade, I believe it is subsidized housing. I thought it was for seniors, but I could be wrong about that. Although the only people I've seen come and go from it during my many stays at the wine bar across the street were seniors.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:30 PM

279 posts, read 534,234 times
Well, I hope it's not an illegal sublet.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:21 AM

2,103 posts, read 4,472,792 times
Yea if its the building I'm thinking about it is a subsidized housing unit for seniors(which actually might work for the OP?). I worked at a place that dealt with a lot of low income people in college and they were always giving apts. addresses from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina