Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 07:02 PM

1 posts, read 4,955 times

Advertisements

Asheville is a good choice for gay people - but expensive and competitive as far as a business niche is conderned. There are gays in Highlands, but you'd better be well-funded - it's very expensive relative to the rest of the area - and there is NO nightlife that isn't geared to the up-market, white-bread crowd. My son has worked for Highland's largest employer (Old Edwards) for almost seven years, and I've had a chance to become acquainted with the town.

Much more economical is Sylva, in Jackson County, in my opinion. I know a number of gay business people in the area, who, by all I can see, are well-respected and successful. Cullowhee (originally an important Cherokee indian village) is a spot in the road with a college superimposed upon it. Businesses (such as they are) are of the college town variety. Sylva is a progressive little enclave with a mix of Old South, New South, Ancient Families, and upstarts. It's interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 07:54 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
Asheville - per capita, it's only behind San Fran and Key West, from what I understand.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:01 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
I think (and I could be wrong) that the better term is 'tolerance' not 'acceptance' from the non-gay population.

Most people don't care about your beliefs, ideology, accents, gender preference, none of it. They probably (less sure on this one) may not care about your politics. As long as you don't push it on them, they are live and let live.

Hence I say tolerance. They will think well of you if you do your job well, they will shop at your store, they will like you, they will speak to you, they will help you change a flat tire, all the things of life and not care once about your sexual preference. That is your business.

But that doesn't necessarily mean they agree and accept. Now with so many gays in the area, you might find acceptance amongst that group if that is what you are seeking.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:05 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
please let me add i just reread the OP title and it said towns, plural. I can't speak for all mountain towns so read my last post as it may be in regard to the Asheville area. Just where I lived. Can't speak for other states, towns, and areas.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:42 AM

16 posts, read 50,017 times
Boone/Asheville/Banner Elk is like the gay mecca of the South!! They don't call it "Lees-McGay College" for nothin!

Old 09-18-2013, 11:10 AM

1 posts, read 4,406 times
I love the area and moved here Because of her Mountain's and Beauty etc. etc...., that's removed from Overpopulated areas like South FL/West FL/Central FL's gettin' to be these days. It's Out of Hand and in my opinion this area remains a Space to Breathe and Be Me...So yes, I miss some Customer's and Friend's of my 33 Years in the Food & Beverage Biz, but I don't miss the Flat/Hot/No Season Change, same ole same ole...Here...It's Forever Changing and that's an Amazing Feeling to Experience First Hand. I love all of the areas of which everyone speaks. Jackson County to me is the Eastern Vortex to Sedona's West Vortex. It's just a Feeling that you get... Anyhow...Cullowhee is expanding like I can't believe and taking on a whole new feel. With the Campus buying almost 400 Acres on the West side of 107, everything's in High Swing w/'Thought out' ideas and plans...The Campus reached 10,000 Student's this year. I've seen Business Boom this year in many fields throughout the area. So...I believe w/just the right business at the right location w/a mesh w/who and what's here can only start to 'Add' to the Community that's already in place here. Hoping you choose what makes you Happy. Wado, Redbird ~~~~ :8 ^ ) Peace in the Whee.....

Old 09-20-2013, 09:53 PM

95 posts, read 170,888 times
We've found that the farther away you get from Asheville, the less "acceptance" there is, particularly among the locals and not from transplants. The homophobia isn't as blatant since neither of us are flambuoyant. I've found that my being Asian American has been more of an issue since I can't disguise that fact. I've received complaints from people in Sylva and Marion for being a "foreigner" (despite being born and raised in the U.S.) and once called an "Arab."

Old 09-21-2013, 05:25 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,968,861 times
There is a very active and prevalent gay community in Blowing Rock. However, there have been a couple incidents in Boone of people being physically attacked because they were gay. For the most part, I feel like BR is ok, but there is definitely the churchy thing happening here. Should mention there is also a very gay-friendly church in BR, along with many shops owned by gay people, as well.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:52 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,509,537 times
Clyde....sorry you have experienced discrimination for either gay or Asian. Sad commentary because people are people and treat them the way you want to be treated.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:06 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,297,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happeemommee View Post
There is a very active and prevalent gay community in Blowing Rock. However, there have been a couple incidents in Boone of people being physically attacked because they were gay. For the most part, I feel like BR is ok, but there is definitely the churchy thing happening here. Should mention there is also a very gay-friendly church in BR, along with many shops owned by gay people, as well.
As far as I know, there was a recent incident and the perpetrator was from Hickory. I know one of the victims and she found the outpouring of support from ASU and the community to be incredible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina