Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2011, 04:59 PM

39 posts, read 63,023 times

Advertisements

Hey Folks,

Are there in biotech companies in Western NC? I live in Raleigh right now and know I have plenty of opportunities at RTP, but I miss the mountains. I would consider a move after graduation if I thought I had enough opportunities.

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 06:01 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
suggest that you try looking into chambers of commerce, etc. the only remotely similar and not even really of which I have heard is Gaia something near Brevard that grows herbal meds and compounds them. Apparently a decent size operation and quality control is supposedly strict with various professionals running the labs, etc

I know App State has a M.S. bio that involves harvesting, testing, labworking any number of fungi in the mountain regions. etc.

That isn't exactly answering your question . But you are within the community and can do the research from where you are. Good luck

Old 09-09-2011, 08:41 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,873 times
No.

I'm a research biologist who tried my damnedest to stay in the mountains and ended up having to move to sc. I couldn't even get a job in raleigh because I only have a masters certificate, not a full MS at the moment and no biotech connections. If you can get a job there, I'd take it in a heart beat.

I think there was maybe a handful of biotech companies in the asheville area and while looking nonstop for 2 years I never ever saw actual biology/research positions opened. Only manufacturing/packing type jobs. Heck, the lab company, whats it called uhhhh labtech? something like that, anyways they wanted a BS or MS to work the graveyard shift and were only paying 11/hr with no benefits. I was like you've got to be bleeping me.

Also, I'd recomend staying as far away from Mission hospital as possible. They are down right dirty when it comes to how they treat their employees. Especially if they consider you lower on the totem pole, aka a lab tech. I had a few friends who took jobs there out of college and quickly left and its only gotten worse there. Then again, if you are desperate enough I guess you can make the decision of it its worth being miserable at work all the time or not.

Last edited by saucystargazer; 09-09-2011 at 08:49 PM..

Old 09-09-2011, 08:57 PM

aah, was afraid that would be the case.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:03 AM

I've researched quite a bit and have only found Gaia and some other companies. None of which seem very promising. Ahh... what about outside of NC? I'll have a Masters in Microbial Biotech and am considering getting my MBA. I'm leaning towards working in QC/QA, but could do almost anything. I basically don't want to work the bench much longer. I COULD stay in Raleigh, but it feels a bit like settling to me. I really miss the mountains and all of the culture that comes with it. At the end of the day... as long as I'm no more than a days drive/flight from my family in VA... I'd go anywhere.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:37 PM

1,998 posts, read 4,606,032 times
In this Great Recession, I'd strongly suggest seeking the best available job and having easy access to the mountains of Western North Carolina.

The largest metros with easy access to the Appalachian/Blue Ridge mountains are Knoxville, TN and Greenville/Spartanburg, SC (with Greenville's metro population at over 1.2 million). Greenville sits less than an hour south of Hendersonville, NC and a little over an hour south of Asheville. For comparison, Charlotte is over 2 hours to Asheville and 2 hours to Boone. Winston-Salem is 90 minutes to Boone. (Knoxville is less than a hour to Gatlinburg.)

See this from the Greenville Area Development Corporation re current biotech companies in the Upstate. See also South Carolina Life Sciences Organization - they have a dedicated career center website.

In summary, I'd look at jobs elsewhere and, yes, life still exists (and is quite good) beyond the North Carolina state line.

Last edited by drfranklin; 10-19-2011 at 12:45 PM..

Old 10-19-2011, 08:57 PM

drfranklin

thanks, i sent your link info to my daughter in a similar boat.

Old 10-22-2011, 01:06 PM

And what about north of NC?

Old 10-22-2011, 01:55 PM

MsHarris

You say you are in Raleigh and have plenty of opportunities. Take them! Failing that call upon your network of resources.

Times are hard now and a job is a good job for many people, so if you have opportunities you are very fortunate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina