Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 07:56 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,180,272 times

Advertisements

We have made two exploratory trips to the area and have looked at a number of homes, thinking of a second home which would be, in a few years, a retirement home (right now we're in Brazil-- long story). Due to the overall costs, and preference for a gated community (since we could be away for long periods of time), we're thinking more of Hendersonville, Flat Rock and Brevard areas than Asheville itself. From info I've found so far, the weather is similar in all of these, but some indicate there's more snow and rain around Brevard (and the development we looked at near there was higher than the town). Does that sound right? Of course, how well the roads are maintained is also a factor (and within the gated community itself it's up to the homeowners association/development).

Asheville is sort of unique in thea area for its more liberal (moderate to some) political climate, but what about Hendersonville vs. Flat Rock vs. Brevard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 09:09 AM

385 posts, read 1,112,487 times
I think, personally, my preference would be to live in Brevard because it is more in the mountains. But really all of those areas are beautiful.

I don't think the snow is usually that crippling up there but you may be able to hear better info from someone who lives in the Brevard/Hendersonville area. Around Hendersonville/Flat Rock the terrain is flatter and is sort of a plateau in the mountains so that would make driving easier there, probably.

In terms of the liberal/conservative mix, my impression is that over all those areas are much more conservative than Asheville... Although I don't think it would be a hostile place for a liberal to live. I don't think it is as conservative as other parts of the mountains or in places like South Carolina or Tennessee. I would imagine that since Brevard is a college town it would be a little more left-leaning.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:29 AM

Thanks for the insights. The development near Brevard is Connestee Falls, which I think is a few hundred feet higher than Brevard, out a state highway.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:22 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,534,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoi137 View Post
We have made two exploratory trips to the area and have looked at a number of homes, thinking of a second home which would be, in a few years, a retirement home (right now we're in Brazil-- long story). Due to the overall costs, and preference for a gated community (since we could be away for long periods of time), we're thinking more of Hendersonville, Flat Rock and Brevard areas than Asheville itself. From info I've found so far, the weather is similar in all of these, but some indicate there's more snow and rain around Brevard (and the development we looked at near there was higher than the town). Does that sound right? Of course, how well the roads are maintained is also a factor (and within the gated community itself it's up to the homeowners association/development).

Asheville is sort of unique in thea area for its more liberal (moderate to some) political climate, but what about Hendersonville vs. Flat Rock vs. Brevard?

If you are referring to Connestee Falls, yes, it is higher and will get more snow. The road to Connestee can be treacherous in the winter. There are other places you would be more comfortable. Why do you want/need a gated community? Crime is not an issue where you are looking. You will eliminate some lovely areas if you only want a gated community because there are very few. And even if it is "gated", that does not mean there is a guard at the gate.

Did you look in Carriage Park in Hendersonville? That is a gated community on a small mountain, close to everything with beautiful views of the surrounding area. The gate has a guard to let folks in and out etc.

Another suggestion would be Kenmure in Flat Rock. Kenmure also has guards at the gate. Without knowing your price range, it is difficult to say. But you evidently have seen homes in the area, hopefully with a Realtor.

Yes, Brevard is in Transylvania County and is known as the land of waterfalls. It really is in a rain forest.

The price range between Carriage Park and Kenmure would be from low $200K to $600K; and approximately the same in Kenmure, with the lower range older, smaller homes, and a few condominiums in each. Kenmure is a golf community, Carriage Park does not have golf. But there are plenty of courses in the area. Private, semi private, and public.

Many people think they want to be "high up" on a "mountain", which means a trek into the city for activities and shopping, not to mention dealing with bears (there are about 40 black bears at any given time in Connestee) and so forth, trees falling from ice storms etc. (Check with the Forest Service, they have bear seminars up there.) After about two years many people tire of being isolated and move to the valleys.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
If you are referring to Connestee Falls, yes, it is higher and will get more snow. The road to Connestee can be treacherous in the winter. There are other places you would be more comfortable. Why do you want/need a gated community? Crime is not an issue where you are looking. You will eliminate some lovely areas if you only want a gated community because there are very few. And even if it is "gated", that does not mean there is a guard at the gate.

Did you look in Carriage Park in Hendersonville? That is a gated community on a small mountain, close to everything with beautiful views of the surrounding area. The gate has a guard to let folks in and out etc.

Another suggestion would be Kenmure in Flat Rock. Kenmure also has guards at the gate. Without knowing your price range, it is difficult to say. But you evidently have seen homes in the area, hopefully with a Realtor.

Yes, Brevard is in Transylvania County and is known as the land of waterfalls. It really is in a rain forest.

-yes, Connestee Falls. We did wonder about that road. No huge desire to be high up on the mountain. We're looking at a number of factors, and liked the Brevard area (among others) and at least one particular home in Connestee Falls.
-We did look at homes in both Kenmure and Carriage Park (both lots for custom-built homes and resales). Both nice areas. We also looked closer to Asheville, including Biltmore Lake, though homes are pricer there. We plan to return to the area, for a longer visit, early in the year. We'd like to stay under $350k total, ideally closer to $300k, and have seen a few homes in this range at all of the aforementioned areas.
-preference for a gated community is due to prospect of being away for long periods of time for the next few years while it's a second home until it becomes a retirement home (we reside in Brazil and wife works there). We understand the range of gated communities (e.g., guarded, unguarded, automated gates).
Thanks!

Old 10-03-2011, 12:25 PM

532 posts, read 1,090,678 times
Never much snow to speak of in Brevard. If you come home to Connestee and it is snowing there is someone posted at the gates to drive you to your house. They start plowing the Connestee roads at the first snowflake, they love to plow, middle of the night, anytime. Brevard College does not in any way make Brevard even slightly left leaning.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:12 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,845,838 times
Yeah, don't worry about snow. People drive in snow in a million places in this country, and it's seriously NOT a big deal. Just do everything slower and more gradually than you would otherwise, and you'll be fine. After the first couple of times you drive in it, it's easy as pie. Seriously, don't let something like snow be a deciding factor in where you move to. It doesn't snow much here anyway, and when it does, the worst case scenario - barring running your car off the road - is having to park at the bottom of your road/driveway and walk up. And really, if your car has AWD or 4WD you're fine unless you have the steepest of driveways. And then, if you don't have AWD, get a set of tire chains. They're $30-40, and they have NEVER failed me yet. And I live up a pretty gnarly road, and so do a lot of my friends. Oh yeah, and I drive a front-wheel-drive Honda Accord sedan. Not exactly a beast when it comes to getting through obstacles. And I've never been stuck in the snow. (Not in this part of the country anyway)

And just to be clear, that is not due to some incredible driving ability that I (don't) have. It's due to common sense and being prepared for the conditions. And most importantly, if it's snowing hard, and you doubt your ability to drive in it, don't drive. Order some takeout if you don't have food at the house, etc. I just see so many people worry about the snow, and in the Southern Appalachians, that's just not something to worry about. We get an average of just under 20 inches of snow per year, and that's usually a few 6-inch snowfalls, with the occasional big snow.

Don't worry about it. Focus on finding a nice place, and the snow thing will work itself out as you adjust to the conditions. And really, if you aren't prepared to deal with some snow in the winter, perhaps the mountains aren't the best place for you. Not that you aren't prepared, just saying.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:37 AM

We have lived in an area that gets snow (Silver Spring, MD), but obviously it's a matter of how much snow and what kinds of roads, etc. A cousin of mine and her husband spend summers in Sault Sainte Marie, MI. I think they spent one or two winters there and now winter in Florida (other cousins live year-round in Detroit). Snow once in a while would not be a deal-breaker, especially if roads are decent and regularly cleared (of course, within a development is a separate question). Overall I think I might like Brevard best, but with Connestee being higher than the twon, and with extra distance from points like Asheville (where I'd want to visit but probably not live), airports, etc. that's something to think about. Did see an ad for some newish homes (can't recall if a gated community) in Etowah, but that may be a bit small. Hendersonville-Flat Rock area might work out best. We'll see. I hope to spend a few weeks in the area in January-Feb. (being retired has its benefits). Then my wife will join me and we'll look further. Even if Breard has snow, it's likely warmer than a couple of other areas we've considered (Portland, OR and Spokane, WA).

Old 02-26-2012, 04:20 PM

496 posts, read 552,842 times
We went around Hendersonville/Flat Rock with a real estate agent looking at homes in the $600-750K range and weren't too impressed. Homes were too old, too big, and in one case - oversized home with a view of mountains...and a gigantic power line! The less expensive homes were just too old or too crowded together.
For some reason, she discouraged us from looking in Kenmure. She implied we wouldn't feel comfortable there. Maybe because we don't golf, and the community is built around a golf course?

Old 02-26-2012, 05:07 PM

203 posts, read 371,614 times
Default Real Estate advice

[quote=yourown2feet;23152520]We went around Hendersonville/Flat Rock with a real estate agent looking at homes in the $600-750K range and weren't too impressed. Homes were too old, too big, and in one case - oversized home with a view of mountains...and a gigantic power line! The less expensive homes were just too old or too crowded together.
For some reason, she discouraged us from looking in Kenmure. She implied we wouldn't feel comfortable there. Maybe because we don't golf, and the community is built around a golf course?[/QUOTE
Your agent may have felt the Homeowners dues at Kenmure would be a needless burden for you if you aren't a golfer.
Why don't you share more information with us about the kind of house you are seeking and surely someone on here can help you.

QuilterChick is a retired Broker in this area and I am sure she could share a wealth of info to you .

To Samoi-- Please keep in mind that Henderson/Transylvania counties in NC doesn't have the equipment to keep all the primary/secondary roads in excellent condition in snow/ice storms as you may find in other areas because it would be a huge investment not to be needed more than it is.

Gated communities? Watch out for access through "construction" roads."

I can understand your feeling more comfortable with gated, but in essence are they really more safe with all the service people coming and going any more?.

Probably nothing safer than having very friendly and conscientious neighbors.

Good luck in your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina