Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2007, 07:50 AM

11 posts, read 66,326 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I currently live in Atlanta with my partner and we are planning to move to Asheville in about 2 years.

I am concerned with housing prices and jobs in the healthcare field. I'm in a very specialized healthcare position and worry about finding a job.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 08:31 PM

16 posts, read 50,818 times
Default Best field

You are in the best field of work to find a job in Asheville. Asheville is the medical center of Western North Carolina and Mission Hospital is the largest employer in Buncombe County.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:16 AM

11 posts, read 66,326 times
Thanks for the information!

I'm in the hearing healthcare field and some hospitals don't employ Audiologists, however Ear, Nose, and Throat practices do, so hopefully I will be able to find something when that time arrives.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:46 AM

283 posts, read 1,291,606 times
Default Advice

My advice? Plan, plan, plan.

I moved here from Gwinnett County in 2004. I had been in the ATL area for 16 years, and I just wanted better for my life. I had grown tired of the traffic, the paving of everything, and the crime-laden newscasts each night, etc.

It was the best thing I have ever done.

Mission Hospital System is top notch... not just top notch for this area. My partner had to have an operation two years ago on her throat, and went to a fantastic ENT in South Asheville. Send me a PM and I can get you info without sounding like an advertisement. You really are in the perfect field for this area.

I live just W. of Asheville in Haywood County. I can be in Gwinnett County in less than 3 hours from here. (Go up 985, not up 85 to 26 - It's so much prettier off of the Interstate system). When you cross under the Blue Ridge Parkway, voila! you are in Haywood County.

Let me know if I can help reel you up here.

Gina

Old 09-27-2007, 07:51 AM

28 posts, read 133,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird22 View Post
My advice? Plan, plan, plan.

I moved here from Gwinnett County in 2004. I had been in the ATL area for 16 years, and I just wanted better for my life. I had grown tired of the traffic, the paving of everything, and the crime-laden newscasts each night, etc.

It was the best thing I have ever done.

Mission Hospital System is top notch... not just top notch for this area. My partner had to have an operation two years ago on her throat, and went to a fantastic ENT in South Asheville. Send me a PM and I can get you info without sounding like an advertisement. You really are in the perfect field for this area.

I live just W. of Asheville in Haywood County. I can be in Gwinnett County in less than 3 hours from here. (Go up 985, not up 85 to 26 - It's so much prettier off of the Interstate system). When you cross under the Blue Ridge Parkway, voila! you are in Haywood County.

Let me know if I can help reel you up here.

Gina

Hi Gina,

I enjoyed reading your comments on Asheville. My partner and I are retiring this year. Our thought had been to retire to the Hill Country of Texas, but after a long, hot, humid summer, we are thinking of western NC. We'll have to check out Haywood County. Can you recommend a good "family friendly" real estate agent in that part of the world.

Thanks,

John and Carl

Old 09-28-2007, 10:18 AM

283 posts, read 1,291,606 times
Default Haywood County

I sent you guys a PM, but wanted to let you know that if you have any questions on the area, I'd be happy to try to give you a hand. I don't know where the Hill Country of TX is, but I have a brother who lives in Austin right now... I imagine that it might get hot there. We had a record high temp month of August with highs in the 90's every day - although temps are taken at the Asheville Airport, which is south of Asheville, and at a lower altitude than Haywood County. We had some pretty warm days, but the eveniings were always pleasant, and the nights were always cool.

Let me know what you want to know and I'll try to get you some info.

Gina

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderJD View Post
Hi Gina,

I enjoyed reading your comments on Asheville. My partner and I are retiring this year. Our thought had been to retire to the Hill Country of Texas, but after a long, hot, humid summer, we are thinking of western NC. We'll have to check out Haywood County. Can you recommend a good "family friendly" real estate agent in that part of the world.

Thanks,

John and Carl

Old 09-28-2007, 11:22 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,009,135 times
Number of 90+ Days in 2007
Asheville Regional Airport in Fletcher, NC (Elevation around 2,100 feet)

MAY - 0
JUN - 0
JUL - 0
AUG - 16
SEP - 0

National Weather Service (NWS)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina