Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2007, 07:50 PM

380 posts, read 1,757,698 times

Advertisements

We love to cross country ski. I know there are downhill ski places in the mountains near there but what about cross country skiing? Do I pack them to bring when we move or sell at my garage sale??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 07:57 PM

241 posts, read 756,116 times
North Carolina's Appalachian Mountains are the highest mountains east of the Rockies, have temperatures cold enough for snowmaking, incredible scenery...and some of the friendliest folks in the world. There's something here for everyone. Beginner skiers, advanced skiers, snowboarders, snow tubers, and ice skaters can all enjoy a mountain experience in NC. Day or night, North Carolina ski areas have everything you need...Come Ski North Carolina!

Old 09-21-2007, 08:00 PM

245 posts, read 267,895 times
Ski N. Carolina are you serious. The best skiing that is close to Charlotte is in W. Virginia. The skiing in NC sucks.....

Old 09-21-2007, 08:09 PM

I respect your opinion, but NC skiiing is decent and tolerable. I guess a serious skier may find NC kind of lame..For a long weekend, the NC mountains are sufficient!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKNArea View Post
Ski N. Carolina are you serious. The best skiing that is close to Charlotte is in W. Virginia. The skiing in NC sucks.....

Old 09-21-2007, 08:16 PM

245 posts, read 267,895 times
Well thanks for being civil I just think if your going to drive 2 hours to the NC mountains and to make a weekend out of it I would drive another hour and half to actually get some skiing in. I am by no means an expert skier but last year the NC mountains only had like 6 slopes open. If we have a cold enough winter it can be fun but the last few years they were having major issues making snow.

Old 09-22-2007, 01:13 PM

380 posts, read 1,757,698 times
thanks for the replies but I am talking cross country you know. I don't need big hills and we aren't serious skiiers. Just want to get out a few times in the winter and ski a trail.

Old 09-22-2007, 01:24 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,605,313 times
Aren't there some Black Diamond courses up at Sugar mountain? I don't ski but my wife says these are difficult courses.....

Old 09-22-2007, 01:55 PM

Sugar Mountain is the largest ski area in North Carolina by about 20 acres (total of 115 acres of skiable terrain). Sugar is located right off of Hwy 184. Sugar Mountain also boasts the largest vertical drop (1200') in the state. The best slope on the mountain is the double black diamond, "WhoopDeeDoo." Yes, very challenging for recreational skiers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Aren't there some Black Diamond courses up at Sugar mountain? I don't ski but my wife says these are difficult courses.....

Old 10-05-2007, 04:40 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,642,454 times
Default Skiing in the mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishlee View Post
thanks for the replies but I am talking cross country you know. I don't need big hills and we aren't serious skiiers. Just want to get out a few times in the winter and ski a trail.
I don't know where you are moving to, but our relative from Johnson City brought his cross country skis with him when he married into the family and does sometimes use them. Maybe you can check on city-data for the amount of snow in the area you are planning to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina