Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 12:09 PM

2 posts, read 9,278 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband and two school age children are planning to move to WNC. My husband's originally from Va and I'm from the northwest and we've been living in the middle of this country for over a decade. WNC seems to have everything we would like in a place to live. We're all vegetarian and on the left of the political spectrum. Of course Asheville is filled with folks like us but we'd like to live a bit more rural where hopefully we'd be able to find jobs (I'm an L&D RN and My husband works at a university and plays music for fun). The town of Sylva has come under our radar lately. We know it's tiny, in proximity to a university, with at least some hint of vegetarian food and culture/arts scene. Also the elementary schools are K-8, which I like.

Are there other folks like us there (liberal, Veg?)
Are there other places you recommend?
What are job prospects like?
How is the hospital? L&D? (medwest Harris?) anyone know what level their nicu is and/or where they transfer high risk?
Is it difficult to find a family-friendly home to rent, with a kitty?

Any other tidbits you have we surely welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 02:53 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,301,294 times
I can answer a couple of your questions.

Sylva is located very near to Western Carolina University, which is just down the road in Cullowhee. A lot of students rent apartments, work, or otherwise venture into Sylva, and that's probably where you'll find most of your fellow progressives and vegetarians.

Other towns similar to Sylva (more rural than asheville, progressives in the area) would be Murphy and Hendersonville. There are also more rural 'suburb' type areas near Asheville, such as Swannanoa.

Harris is not a big hospital and operates a Level 1 NICU. High risk transfers would be sent to Mission Hospital in Asheville.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:30 PM

2 posts, read 9,278 times
Thanks! I was thinking probably level 1, not sure if they'd transfer to mission or not, thank you for the insight.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:46 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,972,830 times
Murphy is quite a ways from Sylva - with many towns between the two - Franklin, Hayesville and Dillsboro if you head to Murphy over Franklin Mountain and Bryson City, Andrews, etc if you go through the gorge. The point is, with your description of what you're looking for, I wouldn't go any further West than Sylva / Dillsboro, the towns are very small and conservative. Left leaning vegetarians are there, but definitely not in huge numbers. Most of the schools west of Waynesville are K-8, or even have all three (elem / middle / high) on the same campus. I was going to say that Waynesville could be a good area for you to look at, but the schools are PK-5, 6-8 and then high school.

Sylva / Dillsboro has got a nice feel to it. Should mention, there are several colleges in Asheville, too.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:19 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,424,123 times
Agree with Happy Mommee. Murphy is certainly not progressive. I agree that you wouldn't want to go further west than Sylva if progressive people and vegetarianism is your thing.

Old 06-23-2012, 04:42 PM

91 posts, read 286,359 times
Honestly, I can think of at least five progressive families off the top of my head in Sylva. It really could be a good place for you. All of the ones I know, are vegan and very active outdoors (hiking and biking). I don't know political views, nor do I really care who believes in what.
Job prospects-If you aren't in healthcare or hospitality, there really is nothing else here. There are hospitals in each of the surrounding counties but I don't know if they are hiring or not. Lots of places to rent, to me rent is high in Sylva and it shouldn't be. A lot of places don't allow pets but you could probably work something out with the landlord.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:17 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,749,210 times
You know, I read these threads all the time. I know your intent is pure. However, if you are moving to an area, by choice, you are going to have to adapt to the area, not vice versa.

I am making a gross assumption here, and I acknowledge it, but progressive, vegetarian brings up an image in my feeble mind. Not good, bad, but an image.

Other than Asheville, I just don't see that similar image in Western NC...maybe a bit in Boone (Happy Appy) or and even tinier bit Sylva-Cullowhee (WCU) but only in a very very limited sense.

If you need "progressive veggie" to be happy (and that is perfectly ok, and certainly your choice), save yourself some heartache and look somewhere else.

Good Luck.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:34 PM

327 posts, read 605,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
You know, I read these threads all the time. I know your intent is pure. However, if you are moving to an area, by choice, you are going to have to adapt to the area, not vice versa.

I am making a gross assumption here, and I acknowledge it, but progressive, vegetarian brings up an image in my feeble mind. Not good, bad, but an image.

Other than Asheville, I just don't see that similar image in Western NC...maybe a bit in Boone (Happy Appy) or and even tinier bit Sylva-Cullowhee (WCU) but only in a very very limited sense.

If you need "progressive veggie" to be happy (and that is perfectly ok, and certainly your choice), save yourself some heartache and look somewhere else.

Good Luck.
Totally agree with this. We ARE talking about Southern Appalaicha here, the heart of moonshining and shoot first and ask questions later. Even Eric Rudolph (the Olympic Park Bomber) found refuge in Murphy for a brief period of time.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:46 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,301,294 times
Quote:
Happy Appy
Oh...geeze. Someone else using that term. Why do people say that? Is it something from before my time? I apologize if I come off as rude, but it just makes me cringe every time I see or hear it in reference to App

Old 07-03-2012, 03:43 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,749,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSS94 View Post
Oh...geeze. Someone else using that term. Why do people say that? Is it something from before my time? I apologize if I come off as rude, but it just makes me cringe every time I see or hear it in reference to App

You are not rude. I am a dinosaur, that was the very common name back in the 70's when me and my peeps were in college. Sorry, did not mean to strike a nerve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina