Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 01:17 PM

94 posts, read 227,371 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am wondering about those who may have moved to WNC and then moved back to their old location. Or perhaps you know of others who have? What have you experienced? If you left NC, what were the reasons?

We moved to the area and after 3 years, decided to move back to the Southwest. In some ways we enjoyed NC. That said, we are glad to be back in AZ.

Just wondering about others who have had this experience. Besides ourselves, we have heard of acquaintances and friends of friends who have done this. Do not know about their situations and experiences though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 02:56 PM

160 posts, read 303,438 times
I'm looking to move to WNC. Since you asked, what were your reasons for leaving?

Old 06-16-2012, 06:02 PM

Hi JJ

Several things I guess. The winters were way worse than we thought they would be. Two in a row that were very severe, and people said it is never that bad. We never felt we adjusted to the area very well. Made a few friends, but not as many or as strong as we had hoped. We missed our friends and family here. We really missed the sunshine. Way more cloudiness than we were expecting too. Our house was kind of set down in a little bowl too, making the sunshine even less. The terrain and just getting around were difficult too. Hard to explain, kind of a culture shock, despite our efforts to belong. The area is very beautiful and we did meet some good people. Just overall it was not the right thing for us. Even if we had rented for a year, I think it would not have been long enough to realize that we should not buy. We were there a little more than 2 years before we decided to leave. Then it took forever to sell so we were there 3 and a half all together. Before we moved there, we did do research and talked to people too and also visited. So it can take awhile to know a place well enough. Hope this helps. Everyone is different, so I don't want to discourage you. If you wish I can send you a message too. What is making you consider the area?

Old 06-16-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marian2005 View Post
Hi JJ

Several things I guess. The winters were way worse than we thought they would be. Two in a row that were very severe, and people said it is never that bad. We never felt we adjusted to the area very well. Made a few friends, but not as many or as strong as we had hoped. We missed our friends and family here. We really missed the sunshine. Way more cloudiness than we were expecting too. Our house was kind of set down in a little bowl too, making the sunshine even less. The terrain and just getting around were difficult too. Hard to explain, kind of a culture shock, despite our efforts to belong. The area is very beautiful and we did meet some good people. Just overall it was not the right thing for us. Even if we had rented for a year, I think it would not have been long enough to realize that we should not buy. We were there a little more than 2 years before we decided to leave. Then it took forever to sell so we were there 3 and a half all together. Before we moved there, we did do research and talked to people too and also visited. So it can take awhile to know a place well enough. Hope this helps. Everyone is different, so I don't want to discourage you. If you wish I can send you a message too. What is making you consider the area?
Hi Marian, thanks for the input. Oh trust me, you haven't discouraged me. I've been to western NC many times so I'm pretty familiar with the area and what to expect. In fact I'm going back up again in a couple of weeks. I was just curious why you decided to move. Nice to get input from both sides of the aisle. I can see your reasons being hard to adapt to if it's not what you're looking for. We all look for different things in places where we reside. Just so happens what you didn't like about WNC is the things I do enjoy. I love the terrain and twisty roads, the mountains, the winters, etc. None of which we get down here in SoFL lol. I grew up in Buffalo so anything you'll find weather-wise in WNC is minor in comparison. It's about personal preference I guess. Where you love to live now I'm not sure I would like that. I've done a ton of research and visited many places to try and decide where I may like to live. The southwest to me is too dry and not green enough. But that's just me. Not that it's a bad thing, it's just what we like. Scenery is pretty high on my priority list when it comes to moving. SoFL is very flat and extremely high strung. The only bend in the road you will find down here is the entrance ramp on a highway haha. I probably wouldn't mind the nasty summers if the winters were cold. But only 3 or 4 times this last winter could I open the doors to get some fresh air in. Pretty sad when the AC runs in the middle of the night in November. That's unfortunate that you had to wait so long to move because of trying to sell your house. Probably going to find that anywhere you go right now unless you're willing to sell real cheap.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:51 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
Quote:
Hi JJ

Where were you living in western NC? Feel free to PM me.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:44 PM

QC, We were in Waynesville. I sent you a pm, but I don't see that it is in my sent folder. Also I just posted another reply here too and it is gone. ??

Old 06-16-2012, 09:09 PM

I love Waynesville, gorgeous there and a cool little town. Great food! Tipping Point is one of my favorites there.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:13 PM

207 posts, read 463,613 times
I moved to Asheville, rented a year, and then left to move back to Austin TX.

As a youngish (late twenties) single person working in a relatively high-tech field I found the economy much too tourism and retirement focused for my tastes. Everybody I met seemed transient so I had a very difficult time building a friend network. I also had this odd feeling as though the city was rather cliquish and if you didn't share certain ideals you were not able to find a social circle. On that note I felt as though while Asheville is host to a mix of characters they all seemed to be variations on the New-Age Hippy or Bluegrass Musician style. Perhaps I should have spent more time in West Asheville but after a certain amount of time I decided to move back to a city I know and enjoy thoroughly.

I do miss the beer.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:10 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
Quote:
QC, We were in Waynesville. I sent you a pm, but I don't see that it is in my sent folder. Also I just posted another reply here too and it is gone. ??
I didn't receive it either. But your profile says that you cannot send or receive PMs. The mod may be able to help you with this. Maybe just add certain posters to your friends list, and I think that keeps it private as well. I can empathize with your original post.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:52 AM

729 posts, read 1,505,493 times
My husband and I moved here 20 years ago and have never entertained the thought of moving back. We love this area, have many friends and enjoy many activities. Along the way, we have also had friends that moved here and then moved back home. This area isn't for everyone. The one couple I remember in particular moved here from NYC. They tried to fit in, opened businesses but in the end, they really just missed the city. I will admit to a bit of home sickness any time I travel by an Illinois corn field but then I come home to the mountains and my front porch and I breath a sigh of relief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina