Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 05:10 PM

42 posts, read 151,605 times

Advertisements

How does anyone get around at night.....are there alot of accidents like falling off the side of the road or hitting a tree???? Which counties are in the dark????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 05:22 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,660,457 times
It is required in North Carolina that you have headlights on your car to use for night driving.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:39 PM

958 posts, read 2,624,096 times
There are a lot of curvy two lane mountain roads throughout WNC, most of which will be unlit at night. This is for the most part a very rural area, outside of Asheville and Hendersonville.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:55 PM

154 posts, read 598,304 times
Bwahahahahaha!!!! This may just be the most absurd, most funny, side splitting post I have read in all my years of using the interweb. Oh god, I can't stop laughing. THere are a million and one jokes here...

-Lol, are you blonde?!?!
-You see, on the front of your car are these things, usually round, called lights....

and on, and on, and on... I really hope you just worded your post badly. Either way you have slam tickled me to death tonight. Thanks for the chuckles.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:18 PM

653 posts, read 2,707,869 times
I can understand why this would be a concern. You have to consider, for example, that members of our older generations may not have the vision they once had and their concern over dark, curvy roads.

Yes, it is true that there are many roads with no lights. Much of the Interstate highways are dark. The closer into town (any town), the more street lights you will have.

Car wrecks can occur anytime, anywhere, and under any conditions. The most important aspect is driver safety. If you're unfamiliar with a new road, don't drive fast on it at night. There are many unmarked curves that will take even experienced mountain drivers by surprise. Learn the roads you'll use most often during the day so you'll know what to anticipate should you have to drive at night. If you feel that you're jeopardizing your safety or the safety of others by driving at night, don't risk it.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:02 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,019,732 times
It would cost a fortune to light all of NC's roads. North Carolina has the second-largest state-maintained road system in the nation, incorporating over 78,000 miles of highways.

Primary highways: 14,705 miles
Interstate – 1,019
Interstate Business – 66
U.S. Routes – 5,534
N.C. Routes – 8,086
Secondary roads: 63,910 miles

NC Department of Transportation

Last edited by mm34b; 10-02-2007 at 01:14 PM..

Old 10-02-2007, 11:37 AM

12 posts, read 36,665 times
By the light of the moon... NC is very, very dark at night. Turn off your headlights and you can't see a thing... God Bless Thomas Edison and MR. Ford for hooking up!

Old 10-02-2007, 06:37 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,352,011 times
Lights? You mean there's lectricity in the mountains? Well, I'll be danged

Old 10-03-2007, 01:40 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,558,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittypurrs13 View Post
How does anyone get around at night.....are there alot of accidents like falling off the side of the road or hitting a tree???? Which counties are in the dark????
Every county gets dark at night:

On the front of your car are some lights that were installed in the factory, their purpose is to help you see where you are going when it is dark outside.

Dark starry nights are beautiful, but sadly some people seem to want every single foot of land lit at night at, which also produces tons and tons and tons of pollution to produce and wastes energy. How many people can actually see the Milky Way where they live anymore. How many people even know what I am talking about and have never seen the Milky Way, except in the pages of a magazine.

Not trying to be a wise guy, but good grief

Old 10-03-2007, 01:49 PM

485 posts, read 562,677 times
This is by far the silliest thread I have ever read on these boards. You want lighted streets? Live in NYC or Lost Angles! I prefer dark, dark nights where I can see the sky. I love quiet places where I don't hear cars and airplanes, but just birds and crickets and cicadas and the occasional wild animal.

accidents like falling off the side of the road or hitting a tree?

Get that Life-watch thing. "Help! I drove off the side of the road and i can't get up!"

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina