Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 08:36 AM

192 posts, read 409,621 times

Advertisements

Thanks for your honest comments Christine. It made me smile because the other relo area we are looking at is outside Charleston! We are spiritual people, but do not participate in "organized religion". One of my concerns in the south is the higher religious zeal than where I live, and that keeps me from looking into towns that are so small that without belonging to a church you would feel like an outsider.

We realize that crime exists everywhere and that every city/town has pockets of not so desirable areas - fact of life. I don't want to put too much stock in crime indexes, but it did strike me that Asheville has a higher crime index than Charleston (info gathered from this and other web-sites). Again, I think everyone answered that as well as anyone can - there are bad and good areas everywhere.

I'm from the north as well (outside Baltimore) and I understand the draw of private schools and what they offer vs. public (a very big, big deal where I live). So, I tend to look into areas with a good solid private school (if that's the route we would go).

I am actually looking forward to a slower pace of life, not having to drive 2 hours a day to get my kids to decent schools and having to worry that my doors are unlocked in my car as I wait at a red light for fear of getting jacked. I guess everyone has their own place.

I appreciate all the info that I gather from this board - it really helps to paint a clearer picture to hear from people who actually live (happily or not) in an area.

Good luck to you on finding your own little place of happiness!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 12:09 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,932,831 times
AVL is unique in that its in a conservative area, but pretty liberal. It's kind of crunchy/hippy'ish... actually very much so. Most ppl either like it or don't. Doesn't seem to be a lot in between.

I like AVL and personally it's the only place in WNC I'd consider living in long-term. Its kind of expensive though, and jobs dont seem to pay very well, but I guess employers know that ppl like Asheville regardless of the pay. But I'm not quite sure that, long-term, AVL is worth the cost of owning a nice house, etc. But I wouldn't want to live anywhere else in the area long-term. Too conservative and a lot of ppl seem to all be the same. Kind of boring. A lot of racism, and the "Obama is gonna take my guns away" is waaaaay over board and it seems like I hear it EVERY SINGLE DAY. But I dont live IN AVL.

Overall, AVL is a nice area with a decent amount of things to do, restaurants, etc. Some ppl I've met in AVL think its the best place in the world and almost seem kind of ridiculous about it. Just my 2 cents, coming from a early 30's male with a wife and 2 kids.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:22 PM

119 posts, read 173,490 times
I used to live about 2 hrs from Charleston and it's a nice place to visit. I used to want to live there, but that changed. Too hot, roaches, very low in education (all of SC is, I did my research and also lived in SC), and you have to be careful, some towns still have the "Blue Law", which is where you can not buy a lot of things on Sunday because your suppose to be in church, not at a store. I lived in a town with this law and hated it, my ex worked for Wal-mart and there were times when he would override the system so people could get diapers and other such things.

So you might want to keep that in mind as well when thinking of where to move to and check into it.

And Yes Asheville is very crunchy/hippy'ish. It's kind of like on one side of the street you have the bible belt and the other side are your crunchy/hippy types. Not much room for those of us in between. Oh and I am a witch and ha ha ha, don't tell many people that. My next door neighbor keeps trying to get me and my boyfriend to get married because we live in sin. She won't let her daughter stay the night over because my oldest son is gay.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:26 PM

252 posts, read 474,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine7910 View Post
Oh and I am a witch and ha ha ha, don't tell many people that.
OK Christine, I have to ask, are ya serious? Joking? Sarcastically quoting others you've met? I actually met a guy in Asheville, in a very esteemed profession, who said he used to be a witch, but he experienced too many freaky things. Then he found the church. He's just into Jesus now.

(I consider myself in between all the 2 extremes as well, not a hippy & not a religious "conservative". Not a witch either, though I'm sure I've been called that, or something witch rhymes. )

~Mo

Old 01-18-2013, 07:08 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,932,831 times
Witches, devil worshipers, all that stuff in AVL. and the thing i dont like about AVL, is that in AVL, they have to tell everyone. In other places, its more secretive. I think its crazy but I dont judge, whatever. In AVL, they all want ppl to know.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:09 AM

Christine: Are you a good witch or a bad witch? (sorry, I couldn't help but throw in a movie reference

Interesting observations about the area - and as always, appreciated. We have been visiting Charleston quite a bit lately to get the vibe (haven't seen any palmetto bugs yet, but I've heard stories).

I would say that I am between the two extremes that everyone mentioned as well; although I honestly lean to the right (literally when I walk I lean - just kidding). It's very hard to find what I am looking for without the extremes...

You mentioned the weather - so, just for kicks, what it the weather down there like today? It's 34 here and I'm freezing...what's it like in the dead of summer?

Old 01-18-2013, 10:31 AM

679 posts, read 1,462,530 times
Supposed to be mid-40's today and sunny. I have suspended construction of my ark for the time being (plenty of rain the last few days, a few snowflakes last night). If I am not mistaken, that is about the statistical average for this date.

The dead of summer can vary from low to upper 80s. There are a handful of 90-plus degree days in any given summer. I think we hit triple digits one day last summer, but that is the only one I remember in our 7 summers here. Humidity comes and goes. Sometimes, it can remind you we are in the South. Other times, not so much.

I grew up in St. Louis and most recently lived in northern Virginia. Summers here are much better. My guess is on a given summer day we are 5-10 degrees cooler than northern Virginia/the DC area.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:02 PM

Thanks mule. Sounds pretty nice down there. I have to experience summer in coastal SC and then check out Asheville to see what I can truly tolerate.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:23 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,552,885 times
Default Mountain weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum23 View Post
Thanks mule. Sounds pretty nice down there. I have to experience summer in coastal SC and then check out Asheville to see what I can truly tolerate.
Hendersonville and especially Flat Rock, was originally settled by Charlestonians coming up to the mountains to escape the oppressive summer heat and humidity.

www.historichendersonville.org/history_flat_rock.htm

Old 01-18-2013, 06:56 PM

119 posts, read 173,490 times
MovingOver2~ Yes I really am a witch, but not wiccan, it's totally different.

ComSense~I don't tell everyone, never felt the need to, even when the church goers tell me I need to check out their church. I just simple say I will think about it. Now If I am asked if I am christian, I will say no and leave it at that, but if asked what I believe then I will tell them. I don't feel the need to offer it up right away. Those who do are your wiccans and they do so for the attenetion. I don't need the attention nor do I want it. Mind your business and I will mind mine, is how I feel about it.

Tingum23~There is no good or bad witch, only what you do can be good or bad. I am an eye for an eye kind of a person. You hurt me or my family I will hurt you. I don't hex or curse (unless it's the bad words kind of curse, lol) people. Being a witch is not like being a Christian. I don't pray or read a book, my craft is what I do everyday, which is living. It a part of me, not seperate.

As for the weather, it's been raining for the past few days, some parts of Asheville had a hint of snow and it was suppose to get below freezing last night, at least that is what my kids school principal said and why they were on a 2 hour delay this morning. It was chilly enough to wear a jacket, but nothing really heavy like a snow jacket. We did have really warm temps before the rain, no coats required at all. That is one thing I hate with this area, it's a beautiful warm day one day and the next it snowing and below 30 then warm again, then cold for a few weeks and then warm. I wish the weather would make up it's mind, if your gonna be cold then stay cold, but don't go back and forth. Sounds just like a woman, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina