Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2013, 09:40 AM

50 posts, read 113,335 times

Advertisements

Hello All!!

Does the old yankee mentality still exist in Asheville? What I mean is....would I be accepted being from the north. Asheville seems like a very diverse type of place, but you still hear of this type of thing going on.

And the job market, I hear its picking up, but what are my chances over somebody from NC?

Considering a move and just want to make sure we would be accepted (NE accent and all! ) I love Asheville!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 10:04 AM

4,791 posts, read 10,615,390 times
Having been in western NC, (30 miles west of Asheville), since Sept 2001, I have never heard a disparaging word about our migration from NY...one would have to act like an idiot not to be 'accepted' in most places I have been in western NC.

As for employment, if the OP has done any reading on this Western NC forum, it is obvious that jobs are not plentiful, and that most don't pay well, or much. Having employment when one arrives is a much more difficult task than than being concerned about one's regional accent, imo.
GL, mD

Old 01-16-2013, 10:16 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,610,403 times
Quote:

And the job market, I hear its picking up...
Where did you hear this? The job market in Western NC is awful (of course, with the exception of low-paying tourism/food industry positions and the heathcare field - forget about gov't jobs)

Quote:
I love Asheville!
Don't we all

Old 01-16-2013, 10:30 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflopper View Post
Hello All!!

Does the old yankee mentality still exist in Asheville? What I mean is....would I be accepted being from the north. Asheville seems like a very diverse type of place, but you still hear of this type of thing going on.

And the job market, I hear its picking up, but what are my chances over somebody from NC?

Considering a move and just want to make sure we would be accepted (NE accent and all! ) I love Asheville!

Nothing is a sure thing; and you might find it somewhat of a culture shock. Living and vacationing here are completely different animals.

As long as you assimilate and embrace the area; and don't continuously remind the people here on "how we did it back in" northeast/Beantown/Boston, etcetera, and want all the stores and whatever you had up there: you'll be just fine. Otherwise, they will quite respectfully give you directions to back where "y'all came from."

Best to do a lot of research on employment here, depending on your career path; do not even consider it without something solid. Or, have enough pesos in the bank to support yourself for a minimum of one year.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:07 PM

119 posts, read 173,485 times
I have been in Western NC since 98 (minus 3 yrs in SC), lived in Asheville for 3 years now. Job market is not great and I don't really have any people here that I really consider friends, more like aquaintances. I have been trying to get back home to CT since about 6 months or so after moving to NC. The pay rate is low here and rents are high, so it's hard to save money to get the heck out of here.

Asheville is a nice town and has some things to do, but you have to stop and really think about what you are willing to give up and what you'er not. For example, short drive to the beach (at least 4 hrs here), Shopping and the mall (2 malls here, with 1 looking like a ghost town and the other is kind of small), Food delivery (only Domino's, Pizza Hut, and Papa Johns), Things to do (plenty of hiking if you like to and enjoy the heat, the Biltmore house). The zoo is 2 hrs away, Carowinds (amusement park) is 2 hours away, Harrahs (casnio) 1 1/2 hrs away.

I have found that people are either too busy or too lazy to come over for a BBQ or party. I have tried for 10 yrs to have kids over for my kid's birthday party and maybe 1 or 2 kids show up. I have had people drop their kid off for the birthday party and leave (made me feel like a free babysitter, especially when they showed up hours after the party was over to get their kid).

I have found that it is ok for the people in the south to put down the north, but don't like it when the north puts down the south. Basically you will fit in as long as you don't put down the south or speak your mind, but this is a yankee telling you all this, so what do I know?

Old 01-20-2013, 08:58 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,511,858 times
Been in this area, Weaverville, for 9 years and have not found a problem fitting.In fact the number of people in Buncombe County from other areas amazed us. While Asheville doesn't have all the big city amenities it offers a lot for its size. If you need amusement parks and big malls this isn't the place for you. There is a wildlife center, health and art museums, good restaurants, interesting shops and all types of outdoor opportunities. This is really one of the few places I think I'd feel comfortable living. Been a good experience glad we came here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina