Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 09:56 AM

4,793 posts, read 10,630,852 times

Advertisements

Imo, from living here for 12 years:
yes, there are many homes for sale/homesites that have easy, flat driveways and are ranch/all one level homes vs our multilevel.

'Western NC' is a very large and diverse area, and I am not in the RE biz, so I can't point you to a dozen specific houses. Also, the many towns in western NC, (inc A'ville), are composed of many different 'areas' ranging from dbl wide parks in fields to 'burbs to mtn communities, to mansion areas, to very remote sites and homes.

But, we have friends all over western NC, and some of them live in single level homes and/or with very easy road and driveway entrances...they do exist. We didn't 'know' back in 2000 when we started building, and we learned to live with our situ.

Most of the easy access houses/home areas I have been to are in the lower elevations in/close in to towns, fwiw. And, that lower elevation usually precludes serious winter season/snow and thus the need for 4 WD, though many have AWD. But, really site and elevation dependent. 'Winter' here, at the 'normal' elevations, is a shadow of its former self these past years.
My 50Cts...
GL, mD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 02:50 PM

4 posts, read 51,891 times
Thanks for the info Motordavid.

Old 12-24-2013, 05:16 PM

675 posts, read 646,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluWhite View Post
Hello Forum Members,

1. Humidity comparison
2. Bug comparison!
3. Beauty comparison (natural beauty - mountains/scenery etc.)
4. Winter comparison (temp & length)
5. Sun comparison (more important in winter than in summer...don't mind clouds when it's warm out and LOVE big t-storms).
6. Anything else you'd care to compare.

Thanks for reading!
I lived in Putney, which is north of Brattleboro, from '94-97. I moved to Highlands (Macon/Jackson Co. line) in 1998 and left that same year. So, I'll need to jog my memory.

1. Humidity was worse in VT, but NC had its moments. I'm more of a cool weather kind of guy, so I am biased.

2. Never noticed many in either locale.

3. WNC is certainly not bad, but I was absolutely in love with SVT and the Tri-State Region (Keene, NH, Greenfield, Ma.). Natural scenery is a close call, but VT wins as far as town scenery. I'd have loved to go to Cullowhee, NC in daytime, because I love college towns, so i can't comment on that. Certainly no Brattleboro, VT, though.

4. WNC is much less of an issue as far as snow. Temp didn't get that low for m either. Certainly not near 0 (Brattleboro got to -15, IIRC, one time).

5. I don't even remember. I like it bleak and cool.

6. Very windy roads in WNC. I don't love that. Asheville drive was a chore. But then, Springfield, Mass drive was a bore.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:42 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,535,610 times
I lived in southern Vt. for 4 years. To me there are many similarities and a lot to love in both areas. But the cost of living and cold are much higher/colder in Vt! Although I don't believe any where in the eastern U.S. compares in beauty to Vt., the western NC mts come close. One nice thing IMO is that you can actually live at higher elevation in some places in WNC than Vt (at least southern VT where I lived).

You are right the weather is much more moderate (even though some who have never experienced a Vt. winter will go on and on about how cold and the snow in winter in WNC). The HUGE difference is in the south (and yes including WNC) they don't clear the roads after snow like they do in Vt. In Vt. the roads are cleared in a snap.
There is a lot to love about moving south including weather, but still enjoying four seasons, and also the much lower cost of living. The people are much more conservative than in Vt. but I suppose that you have already figured that out. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina