Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 11:16 AM

2,766 posts, read 5,521,537 times

Advertisements

We were all set to have direct TV and AT&T phone service and dsl.The phone service and dsl I will still have but I just read in our restrictions that a dish has to be out of view in back yards and cocealed by shubbery or fencing. I have never heard of such a thing. This is no HOA but only the retrictions of the subdivision.I hate to use Charter cable since all I have heard is negitives.Is this the norm?If so we are going to have to cancell the dish and that service. Our realtor is going to ride around the neighborhood today and see what other homes do.It is so hard buying a home out of state. When problems like this pop up we cannot get in our car and drive 11 hours just to check something out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 11:21 AM

Just a thought maybe there is some positives about charter cable or is this wishfull thinking?

Last edited by lorriem; 11-18-2007 at 12:03 PM..

Old 11-18-2007, 11:26 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,004,370 times
The subdivision rules may be in violation of Federal law, (Telecommunications Act of 1996) concerning the use of over-the-air reception devices, (OTAD). They wouldn't be the first.

FCC Fact Sheet on Placement of Antennas

Last edited by mm34b; 11-18-2007 at 12:08 PM..

Old 11-18-2007, 12:02 PM

Thankyou mm34b I just told hubby and he said so we move into a new subdivision and right away we cause problems. To me though if I go to the Powers that be there and word it nicely maybe no fight. It might just be worth a try.

Old 11-18-2007, 12:18 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,657,411 times
We had major issues finding a reliable and fast cable net connection and so we stopped looking until we were convinced the situation improved.

Our business is done on the net and without a reliable and fast connection we'd be doomed. Seemed like the places we liked most of all in WNC were limited to a sat dish which is totally unacceptable for doing business on the net, especially applications which require significant speeds and reliability.

Old 11-18-2007, 12:29 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,657,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorriem View Post
Just a thought maybe there is some positives about charter cable or is this wishfull thinking?

We tried to buy a house a little further south into Polk Cnty. We made the contract contingent on having a high speed Charter internet connection, installed at our cost and operational to our satisfaction.

The realtor from Hendersonville straight out lied to us claiming the speed of the connection was MUCH higher than it was in actuality, despite us telling he that we would fly back up and test it ourselves. I guess she took a shot hoping that we wouldn't actually do that. Yeah right. I asked her to copy and paste the stats from speakeasy.net. She said she "didn't know how" to do that despite my repeated instructions. So off we went, flew back again only to find the net connection was less than half of what she claimed it was. However on the CHARTER speed test which is essentially nonsense, it showed faster speeds but that wasn't realistic and we tried to upload a 20 meg file to one of our websites and it repeatedly failed.

A NUMBER of calls to charter solved nothing and we would get different answers from each person we spoke to.

So we withrew from the contract and then the sellers realtor claimed that the seller was going to see a lawyer and try to keep our earnest money. Nice people ( the realtors and seller ) huh?

I called a lawyer too and was absolutely willing to fight that vigorously. I guess they didn't figure that either. Finally the broker in charge for Keller Williams DID get involved and secured an agreement for a return of our earnest money. It was a terrible experience and quite a surprise to us.

I don't envy your trying to buy a house from long distance. We flew or drove back and forth quite a bit and were left very disappointed. I still check from time to time because there's a few areas that really appealed to us and if the situation has changed with an internet connection I might even be able to talk my Wife into taking another look.

This time however, IF we proceed with anything, BEFORE an actual offer is prepared we will retain a lawyer to watch our backs. Otherwise you never know what can happen.

Good luck.

Old 11-18-2007, 12:48 PM

We have been back and forth several times looking for the right house but for these little things we just can't do it. Way to expensive. I feel fine using AT&T for our phones and dsl and I would never use charter for that but for the TV I wanted a positive but I quess it is just a bad CO. Our realtor is fantastic and she is doing so much of our leg work right now and she has never not returned a phone call. I wish she was my realtor down here. Hubby will be setting his home office in NC so we do need dls and he can hook it to our router for wireless I hope.

Old 11-18-2007, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
We had major issues finding a reliable and fast cable net connection and so we stopped looking until we were convinced the situation improved.

Our business is done on the net and without a reliable and fast connection we'd be doomed. Seemed like the places we liked most of all in WNC were limited to a sat dish which is totally unacceptable for doing business on the net, especially applications which require significant speeds and reliability.

AT&T didn't or couldn't give you reliable and fast connection?

Old 11-18-2007, 01:11 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorriem View Post
We were all set to have direct TV and AT&T phone service and dsl.The phone service and dsl I will still have but I just read in our restrictions that a dish has to be out of view in back yards and cocealed by shubbery or fencing. I have never heard of such a thing. This is no HOA but only the retrictions of the subdivision.I hate to use Charter cable since all I have heard is negitives.Is this the norm?If so we are going to have to cancell the dish and that service. Our realtor is going to ride around the neighborhood today and see what other homes do.It is so hard buying a home out of state. When problems like this pop up we cannot get in our car and drive 11 hours just to check something out.
lorriem, we have the charter cable tv, and that part of the service is OK - it's just the phone and internet (and customer service) that are problematic. If you can get by with other phone and internet service, I think you will be fine with the charter cable. I think you might have some trouble with the satellite dish with that mountainous topography. Even here in Fla., we used to have it and every time it rained we lost the signal for AT LEAST 20 minutes! And it rains in Fla. a lot! Plus you usually have to commit to a year contract. At least with cable there is no commitment.

Good luck with it!

Old 11-18-2007, 01:16 PM

We just might try it that way.We have brighthouse cable in FL and I love it never a problem not even three years ago with all those hurricanes. In all the states we lived in brighthouse is the best. I just think we might go with Charter for cable and the rest At&t.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina