Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 01:33 PM

3 posts, read 4,679 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
After reading many of the posts I feel like I'm at home! We're from South La....Cajun Country, have a deep belief in God and what is seems like "some" would consider country!

When we moved to NC, we moved straight into Cary (right outside of Raleigh). What a culture shock. We grew up waving to anyone we passed. Geez, don't do that here or they look at you like you have 3 heads. And by no means say "excuse me" when you walk in front of anyone in a grocery store. Anyway, since the first day we moved here, we've been looking for a way to live in the Boone area. We visit as often as possible and it honestly feels just like home. We've never met so many kind, caring people.
Here are our questions..
How in the world does everyone afford to live in the mountain towns? Housing is more expensive than most here in the Triangle and pay is lower?
Vehicles cost the same here and there, so there's no getting around that.
Jobs are just not paying what it takes to make a living it seems?
What are we missing? How is everyone else doing it?

We're not looking for anything fancy, by all means, that's not us. But we do want a nice home.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 01:42 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finding_our_way View Post
Hi Everyone,
After reading many of the posts I feel like I'm at home! We're from South La....Cajun Country, have a deep belief in God and what is seems like "some" would consider country!

When we moved to NC, we moved straight into Cary (right outside of Raleigh). What a culture shock. We grew up waving to anyone we passed. Geez, don't do that here or they look at you like you have 3 heads. And by no means say "excuse me" when you walk in front of anyone in a grocery store. Anyway, since the first day we moved here, we've been looking for a way to live in the Boone area. We visit as often as possible and it honestly feels just like home. We've never met so many kind, caring people.
Here are our questions..
How in the world does everyone afford to live in the mountain towns? Housing is more expensive than most here in the Triangle and pay is lower?
Vehicles cost the same here and there, so there's no getting around that.
Jobs are just not paying what it takes to make a living it seems?
What are we missing? How is everyone else doing it?

We're not looking for anything fancy, by all means, that's not us. But we do want a nice home.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!
As a native Louisiana girl I had to respond, though I don't have a lot of advice to offer I am afraid. But hey, how 'bout dem Tigers????

Seriously, you are suffering the lack of "southern charm" in Cary because so few southerners live there anymore. Have you heard what people here say "CARY" stands for? Containment area for Yankees

As you can see by my name, I share your feelings for mountain living and wish you the best in getting there one day. One thing I do know, many folks who move to the mountains who still have to work seem to have work from home type of jobs. Not sure what your background is, but is there any way you could use your skills and experience to find a job that you could do from home?

Here's another thought, by looking in the Boone/Blowing Rock area you do know you are looking at one of the more expensive places to live in the NC mountains, don't you? Why not readjust your sights and aim for some place mountainous that is not nearly so expensive?

Old 12-05-2007, 02:36 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,225,091 times
I would like to add my suggestions Look online thru Homes and Land Magazine for the High Country....there are homes available in all price ranges! Good luck!!

Old 12-05-2007, 03:32 PM

3 posts, read 4,679 times
We fly our purple and gold flag with pride!!! You should have heard the yelling coming from this house when it was announced that they were playing for the championship.
As a matter of fact, we passed a girl in the mall the other day and she wearing an LSU sweatshirt and my husband stopped her and asked her all of the appropriate questions
1. Is that YOUR shirt? lol, that was so funny.
2. Where are you really from?

Unfortunately, we're not that familiar with any other areas besides the boone/blowing rock/west jefferson areas. I guess we just fell in love with that area and never gave anything else a chance.
I love the idea of being in a college town though. (or at least close by) We have 3 kids, so thinking ahead is important.

I'm a personal chef/food writer (but my main job is mom & we homeschool) and my husband in an demand planner for a very large company here in RTP. All attempts over the past 5 years to telecommute have failed. That was our plan all along.

We'd love to open a cafe of sorts in Boone. I love the idea of sharing my love of Cajun cuisine with others and this would be the perfect outlet!

Where in La are you from?

Old 12-05-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
We fly our purple and gold flag with pride!!! You should have heard the yelling coming from this house when it was announced that they were playing for the championship.
As a matter of fact, we passed a girl in the mall the other day and she wearing an LSU sweatshirt and my husband stopped her and asked her all of the appropriate questions

Unfortunately, we're not that familiar with any other areas besides the boone/blowing rock/west jefferson areas. I guess we just fell in love with that area and never gave anything else a chance.
I love the idea of being in a college town though. (or at least close by) We have 3 kids, so thinking ahead is important.

I'm a personal chef/food writer (but my main job is mom & we homeschool) and my husband in an demand planner for a very large company here in RTP. All attempts over the past 5 years to telecommute have failed. That was our plan all along.

We'd love to open a cafe of sorts in Boone. I love the idea of sharing my love of Cajun cuisine with others and this would be the perfect outlet!

I grew up in Denham Springs How about you?

I love college towns too, so I can understand how you feel. Most people who buy homes around Boone seem to be using them as weekend homes or retirement homes, or maybe as an investment for rental income.

There are areas within 30 miles of Boone in Wilkesboro where you might find more affordable homes, though I know that would not be the same as living in Boone I LOVE the West Jefferson area and Allegheny county myself, Boone gets a bit too congested for my tastes when the college is in session, especially on football game days!

Has anyone mentioned Taylorsville to you? It is such a nice little town surrounded by the Brushy mountains, which is south of Wilkesboro - just another place I would suggest you ride thru some time. Check out job possibilities in Statesville if you find you like Taylorsville.

One more suggestion, in your fields both you and your husband might very possibly have job opportunities in Asheville, have you considered going that direction? If he could get a job there, you could live about 30 minutes away in the great little college town of Mars Hill. It is beautiful up that way too!

Since you homeschool you've got at least a third of your battle won. Now you just need a job and an affordable home! Best of luck, I say follow that dream - you'll find your place eventually

Old 12-06-2007, 02:01 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,122,294 times
Quote:

finding_our_way:
Well, just our luck!!! Someone wants to bring real Cajun cookin' here to NC and they want to move to the mountains. Unfortunately we have no hills here in eastern NC but we sure would love some of that crawfish and jambalaya!
(side note to loves_mountains.. I believe you meant to say Containment Area For Relocated Yankees). LOL!...but I totally agree with the rest of your post.

Last edited by RuralCoastalGuy; 12-06-2007 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: in my old age I forgot something

Old 12-06-2007, 02:08 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
You thought that Cary was the name of the area, when it is only an acronym for the true name.

Containment Area for Relocated Yankees

Old 12-06-2007, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_NC View Post
finding_our_way:
Well, just our luck!!! Someone wants to bring real Cajun cookin' here to NC and they want to move to the mountains. Unfortunately we have no hills here in eastern NC but we sure would love some of that crawfish and jambalaya!
(side note to loves_mountains.. I believe you meant to say Containment Area For Relocated Yankees). LOL!...but I totally agree with the rest of your post.
EXACTLY! Thanks for the correction

Don't even get me started on how much I miss crawfish - YUM. But I do make a mean jambalaya!

Old 12-06-2007, 04:32 PM

94 posts, read 227,401 times
Default Just wondering

Have to ask, why is it that some got very upset about K Dunn's comment on that other thread, and no one is getting upset about this Cary acronym? It seems comparable. I hope that no harm is meant.

Old 12-06-2007, 04:42 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,122,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marian2005 View Post
Have to ask, why is it that some got very upset about K Dunn's comment on that other thread, and no one is getting upset about this Cary acronym? It seems comparable. I hope that no harm is meant.
I think it has to do with the word "yokel" which most take as offensive, but even northerners get a kick out of the C.A.R.Y. thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina