Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 04:29 AM

16 posts, read 24,040 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move to the Franklin area. I found a place, but it is very close the the LBJ Job Corps. From what I understand, that is a "troubled youth" program. Anyone familiar with it and should I be concerned about any problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 08:41 AM

21,025 posts, read 27,316,737 times
Default Lyndon Baines Johnson Job Corps Center, 3170 Wayah Road, Franklin, North Carolina 28734-8118

Job Corps is for young people at least 16 years of age from low income households seeking to complete their academic studies for a high school diploma/general education diploma and develop technical skills for a career. The Lyndon Baines Johnson Job Corps Center has a partnership with the United States Forest Service.

The campus is secure. I would not worry about crime around there.

If you want crime statistics for the surrounding area, I advise checking with the Macon County Sheriff's Office.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:30 AM

376 posts, read 501,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab Guy View Post
I am looking to move to the Franklin area. I found a place, but it is very close the the LBJ Job Corps. From what I understand, that is a "troubled youth" program. Anyone familiar with it and should I be concerned about any problems?
Why are you even asking? Its a retirement town for Christ sake.... and I wouldn't worry about some job corps place, its not a jail. Just be sure and lock your doors.

Other than the usual degeneracy in the south(alcohol,drugs(ex. Oxy being sold near the hotspot station)) it's quite safe. We did have some crazy guy and his wife try to shoot up an elementary school and it garnered national attention. But really thats the worst I have seen. The Macon county police handled it great, no one even got shot which is a miracle considering the circumstances.

Just know that in Franklin you are either poor/lower class(working class) or well off(retired,business owner). There is hardly any middle class here since the pay is so low. A few of us work as professionals(such as myself) making decent money(36K +) but we are few.

Good news is the services in the area are cheap, mechanics charge only $60-$65 an hour for labor.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:06 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,392,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggar View Post
Why are you even asking? Its a retirement town for Christ sake.... and I wouldn't worry about some job corps place, its not a jail. Just be sure and lock your doors.

Other than the usual degeneracy in the south(alcohol,drugs(ex. Oxy being sold near the hotspot station)) it's quite safe. We did have some crazy guy and his wife try to shoot up an elementary school and it garnered national attention. But really thats the worst I have seen. The Macon county police handled it great, no one even got shot which is a miracle considering the circumstances.
No alcohol and drugs in other parts of the country?

Old 07-30-2015, 11:58 AM

I am not talking about Frankin as a whole. What does "retirement community" have to do with anything? The entire area isn't on SS you know. Just did not want to purchase a home and property next door to a bunch of kids that have head problems. Here is just one example and plenty more if you look. Wouldn't you ask questions before living next to this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_9vlVYzcmU

Last edited by Lab Guy; 07-30-2015 at 12:06 PM..

Old 07-30-2015, 12:50 PM

376 posts, read 501,279 times
Quote:
I am not talking about Frankin as a whole. What does "retirement community" have to do with anything? The entire area isn't on SS you know. Just did not want to purchase a home and property next door to a bunch of kids that have head problems. Here is just one example and plenty more if you look. Wouldn't you ask questions before living next to this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_9vlVYzcmU
You are moving into a retirement town whether you like it or not. Deal with it.

Also, there is no violence in that video. So im not sure what you're trying to accomplish with that. Arguments are a common occurrence everywhere in case you didn't know. Also, that sort of thing happens in high schools daily.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:00 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,572,412 times
Quote:

Would you prefer to live in an area where everyone is perfect, no matter what their age ? It doesn't sound like you want to be in Western NC. Let us know when you find Utopia where everyone is perfect regardless of age, it doesn't seem to be in your recent, or past search areas.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:33 PM

I didn't imply that I am looking for "perfect" people. There are bad areas EVERYWHERE and every town has a certain area that is best to avoid. Not looking to live in an apartment that I can just pack up and move on if it doesn't work out. I just don't want to spend 250K and have bad neighbors or have to worry about getting broke into. Even the realtor that I am working with said it is for troubled youth, not just poor. I just asked a simple question and you don't have to take it to heart. Would you be okay leaving your doors open while you went shopping for a few hours. I can here in my present home, but not comfortable doing that 1 mile up the road. So why is NC "not for me"? I have been to Franklin for a stay and like the area, so yes, I do want to be there.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:08 PM

4,793 posts, read 10,629,530 times
I assume you have been to the house and toured the neighborhood, at different times of day and night?

Or, is this a house the RE person is pushing, you may be considering, but haven't decided on, yet?

I like Franklin, though it is too small, a bit remote and too low in elevation/hot for us.
The small demographics makes for fewer houses to consider, not that one needs 'Charlotte' size for house hunting, but it is limiting vs some other western NC towns and areas.

Fwiw, we sometimes forget to lock our doors at night...but we are armed to the teeth up, and there is only one road up/down.
GL, mD

Old 07-30-2015, 03:20 PM

Thanks for the response MD! No, I haven't actually seen the house in person as I am a 10 hr. drive and thought I would ask here before I took a few days to check it out. It has been on the market since 2012, so hence the outrageous question . I did find a few really nice places in Murphy, but those might be too far from any medical, for starters. It seems like the farther east I look in WNC, the pricier it gets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina