Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 03:22 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab Guy View Post
I didn't imply that I am looking for "perfect" people. There are bad areas EVERYWHERE and every town has a certain area that is best to avoid. Not looking to live in an apartment that I can just pack up and move on if it doesn't work out. I just don't want to spend 250K and have bad neighbors or have to worry about getting broke into. Even the realtor that I am working with said it is for troubled youth, not just poor. I just asked a simple question and you don't have to take it to heart. Would you be okay leaving your doors open while you went shopping for a few hours. I can here in my present home, but not comfortable doing that 1 mile up the road. So why is NC "not for me"? I have been to Franklin for a stay and like the area, so yes, I do want to be there.

You may want to consider that the troubled kids who are going to that job corps school are trying to improve their lot in life. Whether they are troubled due to family situations, drug issues, maybe homeless, abused and so forth, they are worthy of kinder thoughts and not pre-judging. Franklin is a nice area as are many small towns in this part of the state. You could run into some hard core nut cases simply by going to the mall; on an airplane, or in church as sadly experienced in Charleston for example.

Murphy is an example; it is where the police caught Eric Rudolph in 2003. My husband and I were camping about 2 miles from the spot where he was discovered for more than a week. No way of knowing what's out there. He had been surviving in the forest for several years prior.

A Realtor is bound by legal constraints, and can only tell you so much about an area or a neighborhood; always best to check with the local police department for exact info. Best of luck in your search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 03:29 PM

16 posts, read 23,996 times
It is great to have a program like that, just want to find a home within a certain radius that it isn't a higher risk area due to whatever circumstances. I am willing to help out just about anyone, but if my family,pets or property gets messed with in any fashion, well their personal problems are moot to me.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
It is great to have a program like that, just want to find a home within a certain radius that it isn't a higher risk area due to whatever circumstances. I am willing to help out just about anyone, but if my family,pets or property gets messed with in any fashion, well their personal problems are moot to me.
Ha ! it happens in the best of neighborhoods too. You're a bit paranoid; maybe it is your frame of reference of where you are relocating from, and your conditioning to certain areas. Nevertheless, you do your research and take your chances -- anyplace.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:38 PM

Well, I guess asking on here is research......correct?

Old 07-30-2015, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Well, I guess asking on here is research......correct?

That is correct; but pre-conceived notions about any area when you have not even visited or put boots on the ground is a bit over the top. We can only answer reasonable questions, and we try; but the homework is in your court. According to your history posts, you've been searching several states for a couple of years. Wish you the best, and glad you like Franklin. Just don't pre-judge to the people on here who are either natives of the areas or know these towns well. Take care, get a trustworthy Realtor and buy something -- or rent for a year and get to know several towns first hand.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:57 PM

Not "pre-judging" anyone. I know zero about LBJ school and that is what I was trying to find out, from the locals here. This is a MAJOR life decision, selling this home and buying there and if inquiring about the school is offensive, well........

Old 07-30-2015, 04:36 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times
Quote:
Thanks for the response MD! No, I haven't actually seen the house in person as I am a 10 hr. drive and thought I would ask here before I took a few days to check it out. It has been on the market since 2012, so hence the outrageous question . I did find a few really nice places in Murphy, but those might be too far from any medical, for starters. It seems like the farther east I look in WNC, the pricier it gets.
Long time on mkt, but that may not be atypical in Franklin...dunno. Small town, small demographics, it isn't really 'the mtns', and stuff is sitting everywhere actually, other than red hot "Asheville", imo.

Maybe look more/again 'north east', up the western edge of NC: several counties above Macon, (where F is), and while bargains may not be by the bushel there are some fine communities, decent health care, thriving downtowns, and lots of houses at ~$400 and less, from a quick perusal.

Not dissing Franklin/Murphy, just pointing out there are several towns up the NC/TN line, a bit 'east' of that line, but not in Asheville backyard.

Home shopping from afar is a PIA, but GL.
mD

Old 07-30-2015, 10:25 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Ha ! it happens in the best of neighborhoods too. You're a bit paranoid; maybe it is your frame of reference of where you are relocating from, and your conditioning to certain areas. Nevertheless, you do your research and take your chances -- anyplace.
No truer words were written, QC!

Old 07-31-2015, 05:13 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
Y'all are a bit too harsh. I really don't see why the OP's question would elicit such responses. This board can be quite cliquish. There's also a tendency to post responses even when the poster has no actual knowledge of the question being asked.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:05 PM

78 posts, read 85,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Y'all are a bit too harsh. I really don't see why the OP's question would elicit such responses. This board can be quite cliquish. There's also a tendency to post responses even when the poster has no actual knowledge of the question being asked.
Ya got that right!

FWIW, I'm just a part-timer (Murphy -- which, by the way, does have a hospital), but the town I live in (South Georgia) has a Job Corps and I wouldn't let my worst enemy live within ten miles of it. If you want to go to the mall, it's common practice to drive completely around the perimeter looking for their bus before parking. If you see it, turn around and go home. Of course this is South Georgia I'm talking about, which is a far cry from WNC, which is why we're trying to get moved there ASAP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina