Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 10:56 AM

692 posts, read 1,707,258 times

Advertisements

The unique chemical marker has been in use for about 4-5 years in most places that are doing "fracking". I would tell all who are interested stop watching the MSNBC/FOX pundits, go to the library and get books and read these to make up your own mind. I have first hand knowledge of this process and know the marker signature and have yet to see it appear in wells that have been "fracked". IMHO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 12:07 PM

503 posts, read 926,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eiafjam View Post
The unique chemical marker has been in use for about 4-5 years in most places that are doing "fracking". I would tell all who are interested stop watching the MSNBC/FOX pundits, go to the library and get books and read these to make up your own mind. I have first hand knowledge of this process and know the marker signature and have yet to see it appear in wells that have been "fracked". IMHO
far fracking out!

Old 08-12-2014, 05:22 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Well, we the people of NC wouldn't know about any unique chemical marker because by LAW no one is allowed to disclose fracking chemicals.

NC officials seek comment on fracking rules | Mountain Xpress
Quote:
After passage of the Energy Modernization Act in June opened the door to fracking in North Carolina, the state’s Mining and Energy Commission is accepting public comment through Sept. 15 on the draft rules for regulating the controversial practice. The law, which lifted the moratorium on fracking enacted in 2012, also prohibits disclosure of chemicals used in the process and bars local governments from banning it.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:50 AM

121 posts, read 214,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eiafjam View Post
If there is no proof of water contamination, why have so many lawsuits been settled, people have been paid off, and as part of the settlement, they aren't allowed to disclose anything?
Quote:
The Hallowiches aren’t alone. In cases from Wyoming to Arkansas, Pennsylvania to Texas, drillers have agreed to cash settlements or property buyouts with people who say hydraulic fracturing, also known as fracking, ruined their water, according to a review by Bloomberg News of hundreds of regulatory and legal filings. In most cases homeowners must agree to keep quiet.

The strategy keeps data from regulators, policymakers, the news media and health researchers, and makes it difficult to challenge the industry’s claim that fracking has never tainted anyone’s water.

“At this point they feel they can get out of this litigation relatively cheaply,” Marc Bern, an attorney with Napoli Bern Ripka Sholnik LLP in New York who has negotiated about 30 settlements on behalf of homeowners, said in an interview. “Virtually on all of our settlements where they paid money they have requested and demanded that there be confidentiality.”
Source

If you trust these drilling companies, you're naive. There appears to be intense greed and sociopathic tendencies at work here. In my opinion, these people don't care about the people or the environment but they ARE very intelligent and cunning, have bought off everyone they need to, and spend millions working to sway public opinion. We're taught to trust from a very early age and these people know how to take advantage of that innocence.

Last edited by DChapman36; 08-13-2014 at 09:04 AM..

Old 08-13-2014, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DChapman36 View Post
If there is no proof of water contamination, why have so many lawsuits been settled, people have been paid off, and as part of the settlement, they aren't allowed to disclose anything?
Source
It's cheaper to pay people off than to drag things out through the legal system. Happens all of the time. It's all about money.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DChapman36 View Post
If you trust these drilling companies, you're naive. There appears to be intense greed and sociopathic tendencies at work here. In my opinion, these people don't care about the people or the environment but they ARE very intelligent and cunning, have bought off everyone they need to, and spend millions working to sway public opinion. We're taught to trust from a very early age and these people know how to take advantage of that innocence.
I am all for sensible protection of the environment, but manipulative mischaracterizations like this make me intensely distrust the environmental movement.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:42 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
and to add to discussion if this becomes reality and fracking is implemented in this WNC basin then this is just one in a list of exploitation we have endured in our native homeland. Extraction of resources, oh gee that hasn't been done before. Build lakes and shut down mines and cover timber. Flood people's homes and make them move so the nation can have cheap TVA electricity, and the gigantic timber - gone.

Given the map posted if they found the necessary shale this could force a big issue: GSNP vs fracking. Eastern Band of the Cherokee Land Trust vs fracking. Unless they can all co-exist.

Heck move us all to Oklahoma this time.

Being a little sarcastic and I apologize. But now that I am in my senior years, it becomes clear that nothing is new.
Don't apologize. One of the most refreshing posts on the topic that I have ever read.

Insightful.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:28 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,425,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Well, we the people of NC wouldn't know about any unique chemical marker because by LAW no one is allowed to disclose fracking chemicals.

NC officials seek comment on fracking rules | Mountain Xpress

This was really interesting to me. Anybody with google can find out what the chemicals are. Locking a list is a safe in Raleigh is SO last century.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:31 PM

121 posts, read 214,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveatgso View Post
It's cheaper to pay people off than to drag things out through the legal system. Happens all of the time. It's all about money.
It MIGHT be cheaper if they weren't paying these people six to seven figures. These are situations where the companies know a jury finding them at fault would be devastating (and there is high likelihood they would) so it is MUCH cheaper for them to pay large sums and require that the people not talk as part of the settlement.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:39 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Don't apologize. One of the most refreshing posts on the topic that I have ever read.

Insightful.
thanks Ani, you and I have roots that go so far back, we have long memories from even before our own time. This is just one more flash in a pan that may or may not come to pass. We prevailed before, we will again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina