Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 12:30 PM

358 posts, read 786,615 times

Advertisements

22 years of driving in WNC and not once passing a stopped school bus, not even close. It is not a difficult law to obey and where you were going, what you were doing, what time of day it was or what the weather was like has absolutely nothing to do with it. Pay the fine and pay closer attention in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 01:08 PM

172 posts, read 290,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughterhouse7 View Post
I just don't think it's right for the city to do that. They should exercise critical thinking in placing their stops, and to just bend and let them take more than I pay for rent in one month in fees while my insurance premiums go up astronomically, all on account of poor planning seems weak to me.
Hey, I agree with you completely and amazed at all the people who automatically respond with "just pay the fine!"...the kind of mindless obedience that results in how it got this way in the first place. I hope that you can beat this nonsense and choose jail time over giving them your hard-earned money if it comes down to that. After all, this is what it's all about - grinding you down at every opportunity to extract your labor while funding their "operation" in the name of "safety".

Old 08-09-2014, 02:27 PM

503 posts, read 927,462 times
See if you can hire a lawyer to get the ticket reduced to a lesser charge. Like having a speeding ticket (points) reduced to 'improper equipment' (no points). You'll probably pay more up front, but save more in the long run on insurance.

Last edited by daveatgso; 08-09-2014 at 03:54 PM..

Old 08-09-2014, 03:41 PM

729 posts, read 1,506,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maulotaur View Post
Hey, I agree with you completely and amazed at all the people who automatically respond with "just pay the fine!"...the kind of mindless obedience that results in how it got this way in the first place. I hope that you can beat this nonsense and choose jail time over giving them your hard-earned money if it comes down to that. After all, this is what it's all about - grinding you down at every opportunity to extract your labor while funding their "operation" in the name of "safety".
It's not mindless obedience. It's called facing facts. The fact is that he passed a stop school bus. The fact is the judge will care less what his reason is. The fact is, he is tight on money and fighting it will cost more money. It's called admitting that you made a mistake, no matter how unintentional, and paying the fine. Period. He may never remember seeing a school bus at the place before but since he says it was snowing there is a good chance that the schools were either on a delayed schedule or letting out early. He wasn't paying attention. His mind was elsewhere. Happens to all of us on occasion. He just had the misfortune of having his "occasion" be one that costs a lot of money if caught making the infraction. He can fight it if he wants but I guarantee, they don't care.

Old 08-09-2014, 04:01 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,558,102 times
He admitted to being in a hurry to get to work, not a good thing on a school morning. A lawyer will charge him $500 simply to represent him on the ticket, IF he wants to defend him. Reasonable people have given him the best advice on here.

OP has to put on his big boy pants, go to court, ask the judge to consider lowering the fine while admitting he was wrong. No excuses, that is childish. I'd recommend a part time job, earn the money, to pay the fine and the extra premium on the car insurance. Lesson learned.

Be a responsible citizen and stop rushing around driving a weapon that kills people. You are not special OP.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:39 PM

358 posts, read 786,615 times
" Be a responsible citizen and stop rushing around driving a weapon that kills people. You are not special OP." QC

Excellent advice......simple, direct and hopefully effective

Old 08-10-2014, 07:02 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,048,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughterhouse7 View Post
passing a stopped school bus.
That's kind of a sacred cow, especially as the school year is just starting back up.

Know how I got rid of the bums in my neighborhood? "Oooh, I'm worried about the schoolchildren who have a school bus stop right there where the bums hang out."

Yeah, good luck.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:56 PM

729 posts, read 1,506,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePeeD View Post
That's kind of a sacred cow, especially as the school year is just starting back up.

Know how I got rid of the bums in my neighborhood? "Oooh, I'm worried about the schoolchildren who have a school bus stop right there where the bums hang out."

Yeah, good luck.
Decades ago I was driving to work during a pretty heavy snow fall (Illinois). The roads were slick and as I came around a blind curve there was a stopped school bus. I hit my breaks but the road was so slick and wet there wasn't any stopping. I aimed for the ditch and put the car in the corn field rather than run past the school bus. No one was hurt and except for the cost of a tow truck, there was no damage. A family I talked to actually thanked me. They said they had been trying to get the bus to actually pull into their development instead of making the kids go out on the main road. Now they had a good argument.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:48 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,048,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by young92 View Post
Decades ago I was driving to work during a pretty heavy snow fall (Illinois). The roads were slick and as I came around a blind curve there was a stopped school bus. I hit my breaks but the road was so slick and wet there wasn't any stopping. I aimed for the ditch and put the car in the corn field rather than run past the school bus. No one was hurt and except for the cost of a tow truck, there was no damage. A family I talked to actually thanked me. They said they had been trying to get the bus to actually pull into their development instead of making the kids go out on the main road. Now they had a good argument.
Helps if the family is rich & of a certain ethnicity, too. But that's a topic for another thread.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:34 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,251,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maulotaur View Post

I don't think obeying a law designed (rightfully so) to protect the lives of innocent children is "mindless obedience", I think it's called being a good human being but maybe we have different opinions on what that constitutes. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: