Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2014, 09:57 PM

49 posts, read 253,485 times

Advertisements

I can afford between $800 to $1000 a month to rent an apartment. Id like to be able to walk or take a short drive sans freeway to get around. Moving from LA so you know my point of view :-). Love arts , films, holistic health alternative medicines, yoga, good traditional medical care and would prefer to live around more people my age ( 60's) than not. Seems like downtown is too expensive.. What about west asheville. Any thoughts anyone? Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 02:00 AM

606 posts, read 1,978,038 times
Does it have to be Asheville? I would recommend Blowing Rock. The weather might be a bit of a shock though

It's a lovely town with all that you seek in walking distance. Plus, it's VERY safe. There are condo's, apartments, basement apartments, and I have known many people that had rents in the range that you mentioned. Of course there are much more expensive units too! Cost of living is a little higher, but you won't have to drive much, so that's a plus.

I lived and worked in Blowing Rock from 2006 to 2011. I loved it there! It's very close to Boone should you need more than a grocery store. The Arts are very prominent there, and there is always something to do. There is a very good community theatre, Art in the Park is held several times a year, and most of the shops are arts and crafts based. There are no fast food stores except a very trendy Subway, and the "gas station" sells pricey wine and cheese! There's a lovely park and swimming pool, golf, georgeous scenery, I could go on and on.

If you must be in Asheville, you must I suppose.

Tracey

Old 08-09-2014, 03:05 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,179,585 times
Sounds like Hendersonville might be worth a look. Not far south of Asheville, skews older in population, probably more in line with the rent you are looking to pay. At least from my research here and on line. Haven't lived there. Yet. But it's what we're shooting for.

One of the very knowledgeable posters here, Quilter Chick, could tell you all about it.

Last edited by kmarc; 08-09-2014 at 03:05 PM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 08-09-2014, 03:55 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,535,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindasuedallas View Post
I can afford between $800 to $1000 a month to rent an apartment. Id like to be able to walk or take a short drive sans freeway to get around. Moving from LA so you know my point of view :-). Love arts , films, holistic health alternative medicines, yoga, good traditional medical care and would prefer to live around more people my age ( 60's) than not. Seems like downtown is too expensive.. What about west asheville. Any thoughts anyone? Thanks so much.

Lindasue, Blowing Rock is quite a distance from Asheville; lovely small town to visit, very charming, and can be expensive. I can't expound on it because I've only visited there. As for West Asheville, certain areas might be interesting to you. If you want to be closer to any arts scene in Asheville, without driving, that is a tall order for rent prices. Things are pretty spread out here. Once you get just 5 or 6 miles outside of the actual city, you can be pretty much "countrified". Nowhere even in the "olden" days of LA where everything is crowded and people are stacked on top of one another, literally.

Here is a website for Hendersonville, www.historichendersonville.org .... we are 25 miles as the crow flies from Asheville. A beautiful small very walkable downtown, lots of activities year 'round, easy access to highways to drive anywhere. Everything you mention can be found in the greater Hendersonville area. You really need to take a few weeks, come here and stay, (fly into the Asheville airport); look around in person and get a feel for what you get for your budget and tastes. Without knowing what type of apartment (newer, older, historic, modern etc.), it's difficult for any of us to pinpoint areas for you. There are some very nice apartment complexes with amenities, for example a one bedroom modern would be in your price range in most areas. 2 BR's upwards of $1,000. There might be some small homes for rent, but I would suggest getting an apartment property management company to direct you to those.

Other very nice small towns you might want to consider outside of Asheville (underlined could be considered artsy):

Weaverville, Black Mountain, Candler, Canton, Waynesville, Brevard, Saluda.

After living in LA, you could be in for some culture shock in the downsizing. But ... you'll get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina