Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 12:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,411 times

Advertisements

I have been researching on my own and combing through this forum for the past couple of months and have decided that I would really love to move to WNC. I plan to move before the end of the year, just finalizing some job prospects.

My primary inspiration was this past winter where temperatures in my city (Bloomington) and surrounding areas dipped below -50 which was unbearable. I've also read articles about how the city was ranked #1 vegetarian friendly in the US which looks great and I would love to live so close to real nature.

I do have a couple of concerns however. I'm a 24 year old female for reference, if it affects any of your advice.

Rentals - I've read that rates are comparable to my current city, but I was looking for advice on good rental companies as well as your experience with availability or who/where to avoid.

Weather - I've read that it's comparable to my current city, but with much more mild winters that don't go below mid-20s usually. My primary concern with this is that with less of a winter, are there more bugs since there isn't much of a frost to kill of them? Is it excessive, or not a big deal.

Job Stability - I'm finalizing a position within AAA. Are they stable in the area? Have you heard anything bad?

Public Transportation - I don't own a vehicle by choice and currently live within a mile of everything I need and 2 miles from my office for which I use the bus. I have read that there are a lot of pedestrian accidents. Are there not adequate sidewalks? Is there a good/safe bus service?

Crime - My current city has an extremely low crime rate. I've read that it is similar here, but just wanted it confirmed.

Diversity - My current city is probably 40% white, 25% black, 25% Indian, 5% Asian, 5% other. I really prefer wide diversity (not just racially, but ethnically).. is it present here as well?

I'm so sorry if this is ridiculously long, I just want to be thorough. Thank you for your time and please give any advice that you have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 02:16 PM

679 posts, read 1,462,101 times
Welcome to the forum. I'll take a cut at some of these and others will chime in. First, take a gander at this page: //www.city-data.com/city/Ashevi...-Carolina.html

Rentals - Tere ave been a few threads on this lately. Look at the ones where people were talking about moving here and you'll see some discussion. I don't have any first-hand or second-hand experience with rental companies.

Weather - Winter's vary. Generally, what you said is correct. Sometimes we will get into the teens at night, more unusual are single digits, but generally lows in the 20s somewhere. Because of the terrain, things grind to a halt when there is snow or the threat of snow. We had an unusually mild winter a couple of years ago that did not stay cold enough long enough to thin out the bugs, and the result was what you described.

Job Stability - I've not heard a thing about AAA here. Job prospects in general with realistically livable wages are not great, so you will want to make sure your job is stable.

Public Transportation - No first hand experience, but for a city this size the service seems decent enough. There have been some bus accidents and the frequency seemed high a year or two ago, but it may have just been one of those cycles. The service does not go everywhere, so you will have to plan where you live with that in mind. Some places have adequate sidewalks, some not.

Crime - You'll find some answers on the City Data site. Crime is largely isolated to specific pockets, not surprisingly generally centered around public housing projects. Property crime is higher than a lot of people expect.

Diversity - You will find the racial diversity on the City Data page. Despite the constant claims of how diverse Asheville is, I don't see it. My point of reference is the DC area, the SF Bay area, Phoenix, and St. Louis. We have every kind of white person imaginable, but other races and nationalities, just very small numbers.

If you have not been here, you really need to visit first. You'll like some things here, may not like others, and only you can figure out where the Mason-Dixon line of what you want is located in that formula.

Old 08-09-2014, 02:49 PM

503 posts, read 927,039 times
Are you for real?

Per Wikipedia Bloomington demographics are 77.5% White, 10.1% African American, 0.3% Native American, 7.0% Asian, 1.42% from other races, and 2.9% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 5.6% of the population.

Lowest temp last winter I can find was -12F, not -50.

Old 08-09-2014, 03:53 PM

729 posts, read 1,505,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveatgso View Post
Per Wikipedia Bloomington demographics are 77.5% White, 10.1% African American, 0.3% Native American, 7.0% Asian, 1.42% from other races, and 2.9% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 5.6% of the population.
Bloomington, IL is a college town so the demographics will seem different than they actually are. I don't think students are counted with the full time residents. I'm guessing Dave's demographics are more accurate as this is farming country

Samantha, I moved here from the Yorkville / Oswego area 22 years ago. Both winters and summers are much milder here. I haven't used the a/c in my house once this summer. Normally we only have a few days over 90. Winters are also much milder. Normally I can get away with a light jacket. I only rarely need my parka. Driving is a bit more challenging. We don't get nearly as much snow here but when you slide off the road, it could be off a mountain and into a creek bed. Back home you roll into a corn field. Big deal.

We don't notice nearly as many bugs here. Back home we would try to go to a forest preserve for a walk and the mosquitoes would exact a quart of blood before you had gone 100 feet. I can sit out on my porch all evening and never get a bug bite. Mosquitoes love stagnant water and in the mountains that is a little harder to come by as everything is heading down hill.

Renting is going to be a challenge. I have people walk in my office 2 and 3 times a day looking for a rental. Everyone complains how hard it is to find. I wish I had some advise in that area. Sorry.

Public transportation is not all that good. If you live in the center of Asheville or some very close, outlying areas, you will be fine. Once you get away from the bus route you will need a bike or a car. Even living in a small town like Weaverville will be difficult unless you love to walk or bike.

Good luck on your move! We love it here. No regrets!

Old 08-09-2014, 04:12 PM

503 posts, read 927,039 times
College students are supposed to be counted where they spend most of the year.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:45 AM

8 posts, read 14,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveatgso View Post
Are you for real?

Lowest temp last winter I can find was -12F, not -50.
We are considering a move from California for lots of reasons, but not the weather because it is mostly awesome. Though becoming more of a desert by the year, even in San Jose area.

So I have to admit it, I'm kind of anxious about the weather and would like the real straight scoop please (preferably without any abuse ladled in). Freezing rain and lots of it are a little daunting, will I be locked in the house for weeks at a time with unremitting rain (like a cold version of the pacific northwest!!?) I love lots of variability in weather, which I know Asheville area has. But it sounds colder and wetter than I originally thought. Summer heat/humidity are another subject but I think I get that one more than the winter gig.

Hope to open a healing center with a therapeutic salt water pool (indoors) and infrared sauna, which might be a big hit in winter

Thanks for any help.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:01 AM

729 posts, read 1,505,942 times
The higher up in elevation you are, the more cold and snow you will deal with. Our winters are generally more mild than areas further north. We do get biting cold, near zero days but they typically last no more than a week then we are back to mild weather. Unless you live on the north side of a mountain, even the heaviest snow will melt in a few days. Winter really doesn't happen until mid December and in February you start seeing crocuses pop up. By the end of March it's pretty nice outside although a snow in April is not unheard of.

I think we have only seen the 90's once or twice this year (I'm in Weaverville, just north of Asheville). I have yet to turn on my a/c. This is pretty common for us.

I grew up outside of Chicago and my husband and I have family in Louisiana. Compared to those two areas we certainly have more mild weather. I think this can be a pretty subjective topic though

Old 08-21-2014, 08:19 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,511,524 times
Young92 you nailed it! I grew up in Milwaukee and have lived in Louisiana compared to those two places weather here is heavenly

Old 08-22-2014, 11:36 AM

243 posts, read 478,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samanthaj08 View Post
I have been researching on my own and combing through this forum for the past couple of months and have decided that I would really love to move to WNC. I plan to move before the end of the year, just finalizing some job prospects.

My primary inspiration was this past winter where temperatures in my city (Bloomington) and surrounding areas dipped below -50 which was unbearable. I've also read articles about how the city was ranked #1 vegetarian friendly in the US which looks great and I would love to live so close to real nature.

I do have a couple of concerns however. I'm a 24 year old female for reference, if it affects any of your advice.

Rentals - I've read that rates are comparable to my current city, but I was looking for advice on good rental companies as well as your experience with availability or who/where to avoid.

Weather - I've read that it's comparable to my current city, but with much more mild winters that don't go below mid-20s usually. My primary concern with this is that with less of a winter, are there more bugs since there isn't much of a frost to kill of them? Is it excessive, or not a big deal.

Job Stability - I'm finalizing a position within AAA. Are they stable in the area? Have you heard anything bad?

Public Transportation - I don't own a vehicle by choice and currently live within a mile of everything I need and 2 miles from my office for which I use the bus. I have read that there are a lot of pedestrian accidents. Are there not adequate sidewalks? Is there a good/safe bus service?

Crime - My current city has an extremely low crime rate. I've read that it is similar here, but just wanted it confirmed.

Diversity - My current city is probably 40% white, 25% black, 25% Indian, 5% Asian, 5% other. I really prefer wide diversity (not just racially, but ethnically).. is it present here as well?

I'm so sorry if this is ridiculously long, I just want to be thorough. Thank you for your time and please give any advice that you have.
I moved from Champaign-Urbana to Asheville (there are actually a few of us here from central Illinois). Some things I miss about central Illinois are the thunderstorms, good schools, cheap groceries, safer areas, cheap housing, and Dos Reales in Champaign...although there is something about Avanti's bread (gondola) that I miss too

Rentals-We Are currently renting at Hawthorne at the Peak in Asheville. They have another property that I am aware of that's towards Arden or South Asheville. Overall we have been happy. We feel safe, the apartment quality is decent enough (walls aren't paper thin but have the standard hu-hum appliances and what not), and they do a decent job of having things fixed in a timely manner.

Weather-It's much more mild here. Even when it gets hot the heat usually breaks overnight so you get a break. It's not dearly as hot as in central Illinois. The storms are milder, don't last as long, and are more infrequent. The winters are much much much warmer. When it does snow you may be trapped for a few days if you live at higher elevations or depending on any hills in the area....however, it rarely snows and when it does it melts quickly most places. Also....it's not nearly as windy which makes it feel a lot warmer when compared to the same temps in Illinois. I haven't noticed a mosquito problem here. There are more ants, spiders, and stink bugs!!

Job-Gonna be honest, like the rest of the country nothing here is stable. Health care....service industry...beer industry.....that's about it.

Crime-There are places you want to avoid. It's not nearly as safe I don't believe as Bloomington. I think the Bloomington-Normal stats are probably a little elevated compared to what you may expect because of the rise of assaults with what you see at a university but overall is a safer area with less property crime than here. That said I feel safe raising my family here. A lot of people walk places here, especially if you get a rental close to downtown, so just use common sense when you are walking around. Get some buddies and don't walk alone.

Diversity-For a place filled with persons who preach diversity, it's not very diverse. Frankly I don't look at race often but we are very white here. We are also wealthy or poor with little middle class. It's a retirement area so we have the things that come a long with that....higher than should be home and grocery prices and general living expenses. Went to the local grocery store the other day and milk was 5.19, eggs were 3.19, and ground beef was 6.99 a pound. That said the major grocer around here (Ingles) can have drastically different prices at 3 stores within 4 miles of each other. I went to one I knew was a little higher because that's the area of town I was in. However, food in central Illinois is much cheeper. What keeps me here....THE FOOD!! You won't find this much diversity of local restaurants at many towns in the US this small. And I love the outdoors so there is a lot of hiking, rafting, etc within 2 hours including the appalachian trail. Also if you love beer...great town.

Some more more downsides....

1)I've heard the single male or female pickings around here for the dating pool are really really bad. TIFWIW
2)Schools are pretty bad in most places. Some excellent K-8 schools more places, but once you get to high schools in the western half of the state leaves much to be desired. Most likely because this used to be a heavy manufacturing area where schooling wasn't passed down as important. Also because of the retired persons in the area....they don't care about the schools so those who have the money don't put it into the schools.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:29 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,144,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneluckymug View Post
I moved from Champaign-Urbana to Asheville (there are actually a few of us here from central Illinois). Some things I miss about central Illinois are the thunderstorms, good schools, cheap groceries, safer areas, cheap housing, and Dos Reales in Champaign...although there is something about Avanti's bread (gondola) that I miss too
\.
I grew up in Southern Illinois (2 hours south of Champaign) and thunderstorms like we had in IL is one of the things I definitely don't miss. LOL Our schools up there were a lot worse than here, but I have to agree with the groceries. They are awful here (WNC/NGA). But take heart... I was up in IL a few weeks ago and gasoline was .50 higher per gallon up there.

The things I miss most.... good sweet corn fresh out of the field, a good deep-dish pizza, excitement over high school basketball season, and of course hearing "588-2300-EMPIRE" commercial everyday on WGN watching the Cub's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina