Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 05:52 PM

121 posts, read 214,462 times

Advertisements

We've been heavily leaning towards moving to North Carolina, specifically the Asheville area. But a friend just told me that fracking may start up there. I just looked, and sure enough.

Our moving plans just took a quick stop. There's no way I'd move somewhere that is going to frack.

Do you all think they will be successful with their plans?

I'm so disappointed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 06:27 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,148,375 times
As someone who grew up with oil & gas in their veins (Grandaddy was a wildcatter, Dad worked in petro refining, and hubby does the energy transportation systems now) while N.C. has approved fracking, if I was a betting person I'd bet no way in the mountains. Too cost prohibitive. With that being said... oil exploration and drilling isn't as "gasp" awful as you've probably read either. Yes, it needs to be watched as there are unscrupulous drillers/gas companies, but there are also ones that do it right. It needs to be a cooperative effort between the communities, the state regulatory commissions, and the gas companies themselves. I think N.C. is being smart in taking a pro-active role. Too many communities didn't.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:47 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,765,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DChapman36 View Post
We've been heavily leaning towards moving to North Carolina, specifically the Asheville area. But a friend just told me that fracking may start up there. I just looked, and sure enough.

Our moving plans just took a quick stop. There's no way I'd move somewhere that is going to frack.

I'm so disappointed.
There are a number of threads referring to fracking in WNC. Use the search forum box.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:53 PM

503 posts, read 927,842 times
For fracking to be viable there has to oil or gas. Have they found some in NC?

Old 08-08-2014, 07:40 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,148,375 times
I think I read that they have found natural gas shale in a few counties daveatgso. But what I read it was between Charlotte and Raleigh. I just personally feel that it is not going to be feasible to get it out cost wise. You have to remember North Carolina doesn't have the infrastructure at all in order to get it out at a reasonable cost. Until the Bakken's, The Marcellus, and the Eagle Ford in Texas play out I can't imagine drilling on a large scale. I may be way off base, but I think the next big push will be in the midwest (specifically Southern IL and IN) where the wells are already proven, they've been pulling oil for the last 100 years and it will be much easier.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:22 AM

358 posts, read 786,914 times
Don't let fracking in the Asheville area keep you from coming. There is nothing remotely appealing to oil and gas here. The Piedmont yes and when push comes to shove, the far west of the state, but not here. get your facts and then make a judgement.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:44 PM

16 posts, read 26,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DChapman36 View Post
(snip)There's no way I'd move somewhere that is going to frack.

I'm so disappointed.
I think you need to learn more accurate facts....

Old 08-10-2014, 10:02 PM

121 posts, read 214,462 times
Thank you all for your responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracmeister View Post
I think you need to learn more accurate facts....
Please feel free to share them.

Old 08-11-2014, 05:58 AM

61 posts, read 103,756 times
There are no major or minor shale formations in WNC as far as I know, and the areas that might be viable for fracking are in the Piedmont and east. I would love to know the information your friend is privvy to so that he can say that fracking is coming to western NC.

Also, as with anything if you only listen to one side of the whole fracking issue, you are going to be sorely misinformed. The letters, news articles, etc provide the lunches at my work with many hours of laughable enjoyment. (due to some of the crazy stuff people or newspapers say when it comes to fracking)

Old 08-11-2014, 07:14 AM

503 posts, read 927,842 times
IMO the current wastewater remediation process (highly polluted, radioactive wastewater injected under very high pressure into deep wells) is the most problematic thing about fracking and needs to be resolved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina