Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 09:19 AM

503 posts, read 927,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imhere now View Post
Considering that the source of the referenced "article" is on Examiner.com, there isn't any connection at all between the assault on the officer and Asheville's "sanctuary law". Examiner.com is a blog based website that works to increase reader "clicks", through creating reactionary statements. The object is to get web traffic with inflammatory headlines. The OP has worked very hard to find reasons as to why he should not move to Asheville, beginning with what is likely the most derogatory titled thread ever posted. He seems to have successfully accomplished his goal.
Regardless of what Examiner's motivations may or may not be, the author made a very acute observation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 10:07 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,898,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Nomad View Post
I was considering moving to Asheville NC in the near future, but I am now thinking of changing my mind after reading about how liberal & idiotic the city government is there.

Case in point:
North Carolina: Asheville's 'sanctuary policy' nearly cost officer her life - National Immigration Reform | Examiner.com

I visited the city a year ago while passing through and stayed over night, and I thought it was a very charming little city. It left a big impact on me, at least visually speaking. But having read many threads and articles about Asheville on the web, I was surprised by how hard the city gets slammed by its own residents.

Asheville is often referred to as a valueless city full of arrogant and unproductive liberals/hipsters.
Maybe those complaints are exaggerations, or are they the truth?

When considering relocation, a city's politics are definitely important to me. I don't want to live in a city that is too liberal, because liberal run cities always have the highest crime, poverty, social issues, etc.

Can any Asheville residents chime in?
The South has completely changed for the worse. Your best bet is one of the new and upcoming Midwest cities.

Old 09-07-2014, 10:09 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,245,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
The South has completely changed for the worse. Your best bet is one of the new and upcoming Midwest cities.
I don't think there are any new and upcoming Midwest cities...

Old and stagnating...yes. New and upcoming...no.

Old 09-07-2014, 10:29 AM

497 posts, read 970,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampFox3 View Post
Most of the nice areas of Asheville are conservative, the burbs just south of town, etc.. I believe the liberals live around Haywood road, a rougher area near downtown.
There also seem to be large "infestations" of "liberals" in the North Asheville, Weaverville and Black Mountain areas; probably smaller populations in other towns around as well. Definitely, a growing gay population in the Hendersonville area, if it's fair to consider that the majority of gay people are liberals. Sorry, but the suburbs of South Asheville have the same look and feel of Anywhere Suburbs, USA, not much appealing there for us liberal types. I live in the City of Asheville, also a registered voter, Veteran and retired professional. If those that are so dissatisfied with the more liberal culture of Asheville are actual citizens of the City and are registered voters, organize to vote those liberal politicians out that cause you so much angst.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:19 AM

729 posts, read 1,507,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
The more populated a city is, the more liberal it tends to be. To live in the city you have to have a live and let live attitude. It's too congested to get too picky about what other people are doing, especially when it doesn't effect you.

Up and coming Midwest City? Sparsely populated and stagnant may be more to the OP's liking

Old 09-07-2014, 11:35 AM

358 posts, read 787,069 times
if officers stop a driver of a motor vehicle who cannot produce a valid operator’s license and a computer check shows the driver has no license issuance information, a citation is sufficient enforcement action.

As far as Asheville is concerned...No citizenship, no license...no problem!"

A flat out wrong assessment based simply on the bold faced type smack dab at the end of our nose. No citizenship...no license......you are up crap creek like anyone else without a license, which means a court date and fines. Asheville, like many small towns, do not get involved in immigration enforcement.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampFox3 View Post
Exactly but south Asheville is the area that conservative Republicans like. I'm just countering the idea it is a liberal metro across the board.

Liberals complain about conservatives much more than other way around.

One would have to take a course in wrong headed notions and pass at the top of their class to make a statement so exhilaratingly ( I mean like blowing your hair back and flaring your nostrils), false. I saw that one fly by so fast it startled me and got the dogs barking.

The Conservatives here grumble a lot, thats fine. Probably makes them feel superior putting Liberals down. Thats fine also. They drown out the kids screaming in the supermarket, so alls fine with me.

Old 09-07-2014, 12:03 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,884,211 times
whenever I open this forum and read the subject of this thread " is Asheville a liberal infested crap hole" I keep thinking, what an offensive, judgemental and negative way to start a conversation (or a new chapter in our friendly, open-minded little city). How sad for the OP.
Yes, people in this area are quite tolerant and welcoming to newbies ... but who wants haters ?

Old 09-07-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post
whenever I open this forum and read the subject of this thread " is Asheville a liberal infested crap hole" I keep thinking, what an offensive, judgemental and negative way to start a conversation (or a new chapter in our friendly, open-minded little city). How sad for the OP.
Yes, people in this area are quite tolerant and welcoming to newbies ... but who wants haters ?
I'm with you QOB. What a sad life one must have to qualify where they wish to live, with such hateful speech.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:01 PM

497 posts, read 970,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveatgso View Post
I think the OP is a troll.
It took you six pages of postings to come to that conclusion? Smelled like a goat under the bridge from the opening title. Sorry, if my first reply seemed too direct, but if someone starts a conservation using the language of "liberal infested crap hole", I've got only one reply: Get out of here.

Last edited by Imhere now; 09-07-2014 at 01:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina