Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 06:48 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times

Advertisements

OD, you might want to take some time and get de stressed. Get a massage, take a hike, do something good for yourself. Remember when you get stressed this too shall pass.

Last edited by Above Average Bear; 09-11-2014 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: Spelling error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 06:57 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
Imhere now,
I only rented a car for one day.
I have spent hours upon hours trying to decide on a house color. I drove past all the houses many times, I used the Sherwin Williams website and tried on many house colors. Most of what I liked they said I couldn't use because of other houses being the same. I just feel lost on this issue. They weren't very warm to me when we walked the lot today. They told me I should hire a designer because they couldn't help me.
The women I met tonight were nice. We were at a wine tasting where all the stores had sample wines. We went to a perfume store. The lady who owns the store takes great pride in her perfumes. She tried to offer me a perfume sample and the women I was with said, "oh, she doesn't like perfume, she is from Chicago, that explains it".
That is the kind of comment that bothers me. Being from Chicago has nothing to do with my personal taste in fragrance. I am just trying to fit in. I don't want to be know as the woman from Chicago.
Thanks everyone for your support. It really helps. I know I will love Asheville. But tonight I am kind of discouraged.
Good night all.

Those women/girls are nasty; not the type of people you want for long term friends ... how unfair. I doubt they were joshing; very high probability they are not locals and surely not natives of the area themselves. They are not representative of most of the people you will meet here. Did you know that white houses are the easiest to trim out? pretty colored shutters, with beautiful gardening and a nice green lawn. You can use any color plantings, paint the front door red, lavender, whatever you like. Put big baskets of geraniums on your porch, and beautiful large hanging ferns on your porch, painted rockers etc. White homes sell faster than grey homes or "loden" green homes. True ! Buy a Southern Living magazine and plan your nest as you flip through the pages.

Take a deep breath, you'll meet some real people who will be worthy of your friendship. This has to be a fun looking forward time for you. Don't let anyone rain on your parade girl !

Old 09-11-2014, 07:06 PM

503 posts, read 926,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
OD, you might want to take some time and get distressed. Get a massage, take a hike, do something good for yourself. Remember when you get stressed this too shall pass.
You sound like a sadist. ha, i think you meant de-stressed.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveatgso View Post
You sound like a sadist. ha, i think you meant de-stressed.
Thanks, fixed it.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:12 PM

503 posts, read 926,346 times
Quote:
Imhere now,
I only rented a car for one day.
I have spent hours upon hours trying to decide on a house color. I drove past all the houses many times, I used the Sherwin Williams website and tried on many house colors. Most of what I liked they said I couldn't use because of other houses being the same. I just feel lost on this issue. They weren't very warm to me when we walked the lot today. They told me I should hire a designer because they couldn't help me.
The women I met tonight were nice. We were at a wine tasting where all the stores had sample wines. We went to a perfume store. The lady who owns the store takes great pride in her perfumes. She tried to offer me a perfume sample and the women I was with said, "oh, she doesn't like perfume, she is from Chicago, that explains it".
That is the kind of comment that bothers me. Being from Chicago has nothing to do with my personal taste in fragrance. I am just trying to fit in. I don't want to be know as the woman from Chicago.
Thanks everyone for your support. It really helps. I know I will love Asheville. But tonight I am kind of discouraged.
Good night all.
The place you're living right now is not Asheville. IMO it is a blight on the area (the homes up on the hill look nice, though). It has a Disneyworld look to it, and I would suspect that the worldview of a fair number of its imported denizens is as out of touch with reality as Disneyworld is.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:30 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Thanks, fixed it.

I'll bet that gave her a chuckle tonight.

Old 09-12-2014, 04:48 AM

2,593 posts, read 2,283,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Those women/girls are nasty; not the type of people you want for long term friends ... how unfair. I doubt they were joshing; very high probability they are not locals and surely not natives of the area themselves. They are not representative of most of the people you will meet here. Did you know that white houses are the easiest to trim out? pretty colored shutters, with beautiful gardening and a nice green lawn. You can use any color plantings, paint the front door red, lavender, whatever you like. Put big baskets of geraniums on your porch, and beautiful large hanging ferns on your porch, painted rockers etc. White homes sell faster than grey homes or "loden" green homes. True ! Buy a Southern Living magazine and plan your nest as you flip through the pages.

Take a deep breath, you'll meet some real people who will be worthy of your friendship. This has to be a fun looking forward time for you. Don't let anyone rain on your parade girl !
Thank you for this advice. I am very stressed about the house color. I would love to show you my lot and get your personal input. Maybe I should stick with white.
The nice women I met a few nights ago are different people from last night.I could tell the girls last night were kind if catty, but I guess I was a little starved for company. I just didn't like offending the perfume shop owner. Everything is just overwhelming me. I want my furniture and all of my things. I don't like camping.

Old 09-12-2014, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveatgso View Post
The place you're living right now is not Asheville. IMO it is a blight on the area (the homes up on the hill look nice, though). It has a Disneyworld look to it, and I would suspect that the worldview of a fair number of its imported denizens is as out of touch with reality as Disneyworld is.
I agree 100%. This is not reality. It is mostly transplants like me. If I were smart I would have lived here a while before purchasing the house in Biltmore Lake. BL might not suit me either. It is way too late to back out so I will have to enjoy all the area has to offer. I think Montford would have suited me better. I knew I was jumping the gun when I bought the lot.
Oh well, I can always sell it in a few years.

Old 09-12-2014, 04:55 AM

Quote:
OD, you might want to take some time and get de stressed. Get a massage, take a hike, do something good for yourself. Remember when you get stressed this too shall pass.
Thanks,
I am doing enjoyable things. Mostly drinking a lot if wine. LOL

Old 09-12-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Thanks,
I am doing enjoyable things. Mostly drinking a lot if wine. LOL
I'm not much of a wine drinker, however have a friend that does and likes the wines that Trader Joe sells. Have you been there yet OD?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina