Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2007, 09:51 PM

14 posts, read 72,574 times

Advertisements

considering a move from the triad area, winston-salem, greensboro, high point, and curious about the presence of african americans in asheville? how are the schools-public and/or private, social activities, job market, housing.... would i be making a mistake? going through a divorce with child also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 10:57 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,004,370 times
The population of the City of Asheville is 17.6% African-American (2000 Census).

Last edited by mm34b; 12-31-2007 at 06:30 AM..

Old 12-31-2007, 06:08 AM

283 posts, read 1,291,379 times
Emerald Gem,

I have read, quite often about issues with the job market, and that folks have trouble finding comparable work here. I have had good luck, and I must be in the right line of work, as I have been very fortunate in finding a decent job. Check out ashevillehelpwanted (dot) com for a quick check on some things here.

As I am white, I cannot comment on how blacks are treated here, beyond the fact that I strive to treat everyone the same way I would like to be treated. I would hope that this is a friendly place for all. Further west of Asheville, I am struck by the lack of "flava" - but it is an area full of old families that have been here for generations, so it isn't really that odd, I suppose. It just strikes me, as I moved here from Atlanta, and it is remarkably different here. I know there are active civic groups in the Asheville area, and I might suggest that you check them out for information. If you need any information that I might be able to help you locate, please feel free to PM me, and I'll do my best to help.

Good luck with your relocation plans. I raised two kids out of a divorce and can tell you to just keep on keeping on, with love and strength. Mine are now 21 and 19 and have stayed out of trouble and are making a life for themselves in two different directions.

This area is a beautiful place, and a very peaceful place. Good luck and I wish you only good things in 2008.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldgem View Post
considering a move from the triad area, winston-salem, greensboro, high point, and curious about the presence of african americans in asheville? how are the schools-public and/or private, social activities, job market, housing.... would i be making a mistake? going through a divorce with child also.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:36 AM

648 posts, read 2,980,930 times
There are two bigger neighborhoods where african americans actually make up the majority of the population: South French Broad and Shiloh. Both are decent neighborhoods where people own their homes and community pride runs deep. Civic organizations and churches exist in each of these areas. Schools are good in either place.

Housing costs in Asheville have increased across the board. The same house that you have in the Triad will cost more up here.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:11 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,246,172 times
Asheville has an African-American mayor, Tiger Woods is somehow involved in a golf course east of town, and just recently the downtown historical African American center on Eagle Street behind the police station had their yearly magnificent presentation of international dance and music. Government jobs are very much integrated, half the town voted Democratic in the last national election.

African American churches are the way to break into the community. I'm a white personage, I like the multi-racial, multi-generational, multi-sexual, and multi-class neighborhood flavor of Asheville. Lots of interesting shopping, music, art, common-interest groups, and the nature and views are everywhere. But like all cities, we've got our trafficked boulevards, crime areas, the whole nine yards. And like all cities, finding something fun to do, a neighborhood to your liking, and a good job, are the keys to making the most of a town. And this town has a lot going for it.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:16 PM

5 posts, read 26,449 times
I wasn't aware that Asheville had that many african emigrants living there. I knew there were many americans who happened to be black.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:48 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,246,172 times
To EC311: My understanding is I have used the politically correct terminology, not to mention polite, comes to me natural. Make of it what you will, I don't care, I like vagrants too. And thanks for allowing me to violate my cardinal rule: Only respond to the original poster's position. See, I leave flower weeds; the others I mow flat.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:10 PM

Thanks gigimac. Well said. What are some of the builders in the Asheville area? or names of neighborhoods so that I can get a listingbook account and start researching homes in the area.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:49 AM

49 posts, read 250,424 times
well I'll be honest here. Most AA's try to move out of here to nearby places like Charlotte, ATL, greenville and Raleigh for better economic opportunities, because AAs in asheville are for the most part economically disadvantaged, the sky rocketing housing prices have pushed many previous middle class black neighborhoods out and the yuppie crowd in. The same for black owned businesses, we used to have this small area called the "block" which was the place for AA's but eventually drugs and crime took it over and started losing business, there are some BOB's strugling to survive there but they are fading away for yuppie businesses.
We do have an AA mayor though, so I guess some things are changing.
Asheville City schools are okay, but the graduation rate for Asheville High is pretty bad and unfortunately a lot of AA students are getting left behind. I went to Asheville Middle and Reynolds. I have to tell you the quality of education was much better at the latter school, but there are hardly any black students there and could be a bit isolating at times.The situation for AA's in asheville is not the best but there are organizations and groups like the YMI, Delta House and other religious organizations that are beneficial for meeting and networking with other AA's. If you are religious and Christian a good church to go to would be Mt. Zion my dads Christian family members have gone there for generations and many of the more prominent AA's in Asheville attend there and they do have a good service. We have the "Black Yellow Pages" which is a very useful magazine to help you get out and network with others. I don't mean to make a negative post but like I stated things are slowly changing for blacks in Asheville and we are trying to become more prominent to make changes for our benefit. you could well have a great experience living here, like i say try to network as much as you can to try to surround yourself with AA's who are doing positive things. Asheville is generally a good area and is great for small children because it is a safe place.

As far as looking for jobs you can try government though buncombecounty.org or through NC state website. The citizen-times usually has some classifieds. If you are in the health care field you shouldn't have too much trouble

Old 01-18-2008, 08:19 PM

Thanks garota123 for the honest AA perspective. Who are some of the builders in the area? Although I am not in the health field, I am educated as I have a Bachelor's and Master's degree. Any AA websites?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina