Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 05:47 PM

32 posts, read 96,247 times

Advertisements

We're contemplating buying a piece of property in Hudson (Caldwell county) and we're curious about the neighborhood. There are alot of threads for the more "popular" towns: Raleigh, Charlotte, Winston Salem. Are towns like Hickory growing, obviously it won't grow at the same rate, but just the same I assume that these smaller towns are growing as well, no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2006, 09:45 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shefixit View Post
We're contemplating buying a piece of property in Hudson (Caldwell county) and we're curious about the neighborhood. There are alot of threads for the more "popular" towns: Raleigh, Charlotte, Winston Salem. Are towns like Hickory growing, obviously it won't grow at the same rate, but just the same I assume that these smaller towns are growing as well, no?
Sorry no one has chimed in with info for you yet! I'm bumping this back up for you in case anyone missed it.

I'll tell you what I do know about that area - people love the area north or Hickory because it begins to get really pretty and more mountainous heading toward Blowing Rock. Hickory is growing, but having to remake itself as a town a bit since it has lost some of its manufacturing base and becoming more of a tourist industry economy. Also well regarded in that general area is Taylorsville, maybe you should check that area out too? Anyone, sorry I'm not more helpful, maybe someone else will jump on here soon and offer more.

Old 11-04-2006, 04:30 PM

Thanks for your input. From what I understand the there are a few things shaking up there. I've heard that a large meat packing company from Canada is moving to the area. Supposedly it will employee a lot of people. I've also heard that they are supposed to widen 321 to accomodate a better traffic flow toward Blowing Rock. But so far that's about all that I've heard regarding that area. I'm going to do a little homework on Taylorsville as well. Thanks again.

Old 11-04-2006, 06:09 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shefixit View Post
Thanks for your input. From what I understand the there are a few things shaking up there. I've heard that a large meat packing company from Canada is moving to the area. Supposedly it will employee a lot of people. I've also heard that they are supposed to widen 321 to accomodate a better traffic flow toward Blowing Rock. But so far that's about all that I've heard regarding that area. I'm going to do a little homework on Taylorsville as well. Thanks again.
Yes, I can tell you the widening of 321 is happening. Not sure the expected date of completion but it is being done

Old 11-04-2006, 07:40 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,761,065 times
There have been quite a few recent threads about Hickory, Granite Falls and Hudson. Caldwell County is in a period of transition. All of the furniture manufacturing jobs have gone to China. Unemployment is pretty high. When you drive through Lenoir you'll see a lot of closed or almost shut down factories. The big hope seems to be with people like me who are retired and have moved here for th weather and beauty. Many of the locals seem to take it for granted and are just catching on to how fabulous it actually is. Four seasons, none of which are extreme. We had snow twice last year. One time it stuck for a day the other melted as it fell. Forty miles away there are four ski resorts. Hickory is also rebounding from a lot of closures and seems to be doing quite well. We do most of our shopping in Hickory.
321 is being widened from Boone to Lenoir where it is four lanes to Hickory.
I have never seen a construction project move along like that one. You can see the daily progress if you go thru the area. If you like the out doors you'll love the area. If you love the arts and culture you may find it lacking.
Another nice thing is that you have a choice of airports within a 75 mile radius and world class shopping in about that same distance.
If you are thinking of moving here I would recomend an extended visit or renting first. It is different. You may love it. You might not.
Good luck and feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions unless it's about schools. Cannot help you there.

Old 11-05-2006, 08:15 AM

Thanks for the input Hapalee. Maybe that whole area is a "sleeper" that's yet to be discovered by the influx of people to NC I've noticed from this forum that there are of course the well know areas that go back and forth all the time, and then all of a sudden somebody will chime in with a town that is yet to be discovered and give it the kudos it deserves.

Old 11-05-2006, 08:12 PM

73 posts, read 309,138 times
Hello From Hickory,
It's true Hickory is growing, but still is not as populated as Charlotte. 321 is being widened, and that is better for all the folk's that travel to our beautiful mountain area's. I don't live far from the Hudson area, it is a nice small town. I am not one of the local's that over look's the beauty in this area, I wouldn't want to live any where else that I have traveled too, of course that's just my opinion. Best wishes on your move to North Carolina.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:53 AM

40 posts, read 114,459 times
My husband and I just bought a house in Hudson about 1 month ago. We are very happy here all of the areas are nice. Hudson, Baton, Lenoir, and Rutherford College area are all very clean and nice. Unless you are looking for a "nightlife" none of these areas are a bad choice in my opinion, great for raising a family. Check out scoolmatters.com for school info.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:56 AM

40 posts, read 114,459 times
We are looking for a Contemporary Christian Church with great music and environment for children to grow in faith. We live in Hudson,NC we would like to find something nearby. Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 03-27-2008, 11:32 PM

606 posts, read 1,979,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IG712 View Post
We are looking for a Contemporary Christian Church with great music and environment for children to grow in faith. We live in Hudson,NC we would like to find something nearby. Anyone have any suggestions?
I'm sure there's one in Caldwell, but I drive up to Blowing Rock (18 miles from Lenoir) to FaithBridge. It's awesome! And an awesome drive too!

Tracey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina