Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2015, 10:17 PM

4 posts, read 5,168 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My wife and I (same-sex couple) are thinking about relocating to asheville, nc with our two children. We currently live in NY and we are wondering if the south is open minded to same-sex couples. If so, what school districts are the best in the area?
Thanks for your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 08:49 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,885,464 times
I think IF there is a good place to live for same sex couples in the South, it is Asheville. probably west asheville. TC roberson is considered the 'best' school district, but you will find much more diversity in Asheville city schools. which also means, it can be a little rough at times.

TC roberson is located in South Asheville and more on the conservative side (although they have a straight-gay alliance).

My children have all switched to different schools by now. funny, since we moved to south asheville because of the school district. I would have preferred West-Asheville so much.

I like to local charter schools much better and they meet my children's needs. Visual learning, strong community, smaller classes, more field trips ....) My youngest goes to ArtSpace (k-8), my middle child goes to Franklin School of innovation, both charter schools in the area. another great school is evergreen charter school.
Kids will get in by lottery if they don't get a spot during open enrollment.

My olderst goes to UNCSA (university of NC school for the Arts), a public boarding high school in Winston Salem and it seems like 80% of the students there are gay and she loves the diversity (she went to TC Roberson before that) . interesting, since Winston Salem itself seems quite conservative to me.

good luck

Old 02-05-2015, 08:52 AM

and, before anywone else says that .... Asheville is a great, diverse, green, beautiful, artistic, culinary little gem. but don't expect well paying jobs here, unless you are in the medical field. My husband brought his job, works from home and travels a lot (regional airport is a big plus) - otherwise we could not afford living here on 7.25 $ minimum wage jobs

Old 02-05-2015, 01:57 PM

4 posts, read 5,168 times
Thank you for your response. The two places we are looking to relocate is asheville and boulder, co. Our biggest concern is how the community/schools are for our children. I'm a little worried about moving to the south and not being accepted by the community.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:28 PM

497 posts, read 970,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilymac View Post
Thank you for your response. The two places we are looking to relocate is asheville and boulder, co. Our biggest concern is how the community/schools are for our children. I'm a little worried about moving to the south and not being accepted by the community.
Asheville was the first city in NC that actually worked to bring about the first legal same-sex marriages. The rainbow flag hung on the side of City Hall drew national attention, as well as a minor number of objectors. Outside of the City of Asheville, in the more conservative county you could draw some looks, but unlikely any direct comments. In our neighborhood there are three gay people, as well as a professional same-sex couple nearby that adopted an infant from Asia. Your question may get more response at Asheville Reddit.

Old 02-05-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilymac View Post
I would not be worried about that in Asheville. I have many (MANY) more gay friends than I had when we lived in Delaware. my neighbors are a gay couple from San Francisco and they absolutely love it here. live and let live is their motto.

Old 02-05-2015, 04:11 PM

Gay Asheville NC

Old 02-05-2015, 09:13 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,773,921 times
You would be very comfortable in Montford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina