Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 09:53 PM

21,032 posts, read 27,354,703 times

Advertisements

Katuah Market, located at Two Hendersonville Road, Asheville, North Carolina 28803-2764, is closing Tuesday, 31 March 2015.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 05:59 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,621,217 times
thanks for the news - the grocery competition in Asheville is fierce

Old 03-18-2015, 07:36 AM

The specialty grocer segment in Buncombe County is highly competitive with two Earth Fare stores, two Fresh Market stores and one Trader Joe's store.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:26 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,371,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
The specialty grocer segment in Buncombe County is highly competitive with two Earth Fare stores, two Fresh Market stores and one Trader Joe's store.
Well ... Imo, EarthFare no longer counts in that category, but yeah, the reasoning is sound.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:53 AM

411 posts, read 616,670 times
That's really sad. I go there most every day for breakfast or lunch. I think the worst thing that happened to them was having Whole Foods open up just a couple of miles down the road.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:06 PM

76 posts, read 121,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Don't forget Green Grocer and the new Whole Foods on Tunnel.

Katuah Market was way over-priced anyways, and was mostly empty every time I would go there, so this doesn't surprise me at all.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:15 PM

88 posts, read 83,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Nomad View Post

Katuah Market was way over-priced anyways, and was mostly empty every time I would go there, so this doesn't surprise me at all.
What is Green Grocer? Do you mean Greenlife on Merrimon, or is there a store new to me? If so, I'm curious if it's local like Katuah was (and Greenlife originally was before being bought by Whole Foods).

Old 03-27-2015, 05:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljber View Post
What is Green Grocer? Do you mean Greenlife on Merrimon, or is there a store new to me? If so, I'm curious if it's local like Katuah was (and Greenlife originally was before being bought by Whole Foods).
I recall Green Grocer being the former name of Ingle's produce department. Some older stores may have it still.

I would agree Green Grocer in this case is Greenlife Grocery.

Old 04-03-2015, 04:09 PM

76 posts, read 121,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljber View Post
Oops, I meant GreenLife.

I never quite understood why the local stuff was so expensive at Katuah, you would think minimal transportation costs would help keep the price down? The first time I walked into that store I knew it was heading for financial doom. Most of the people in Asheville probably couldn't afford to eat there regularly.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:48 AM

39 posts, read 64,699 times
Quote:
I never quite understood why the local stuff was so expensive at Katuah, you would think minimal transportation costs would help keep the price down?
Local products are most often more expensive [than their nationally produced counterparts] due to economies of scale. The transportation cost is actually a small percentage of the overall cost of any given item, regardless of where it's coming from. That's one reason why you can walk into the grocery store and find bananas from Panama, apples from Washington state, avocados from Mexico, etc. The cost to deliver those items is a relatively small drop in the cost bucket. It's not insignificant but it's not the biggest factor by a long shot.

What does cost a lot is producing the items. Labor costs and raw material costs are huge drops in the cost bucket. Most local companies are not large enough to procure raw materials at the same cost or efficient enough to produce goods on the same scale as big national or multi-national companies. A small company's per unit cost is almost always going to be higher than a larger company's per unit cost -- that is the biggest driver of the end retail cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina